What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Courier Mail-Fight Back

Brutus

Referee
My comment has been brushed too.

Victorians everywhere in that paper.

No wonder we don't see much from Barry Dick anymore. He actually used the term Victorian in one of articles a few years ago.

Last edited:
I'm surprised people still read that rag. It's Queensland's answer to The Daily Telegraph. Just putrid journalism all over, not just the sports section. It's like a print version of "Today Tonight".

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So I made the mistake yesterday of buying the Sunday Mail, was eating breaky in a cafe so wanted something to read.

Flip to the back where it declares "Victorian Cadel Evans".........................

I mean the Victorians just cannot help themselves, first off, he is a Territorian, who now lives in Victoriania, so just a lie, and secondly why would you even mention that in QLD, QLDers do not care.

f**king Victorians, an embarressment to Australians.

Brutus

Referee
So I made the mistake yesterday of buying the Sunday Mail, was eating breaky in a cafe so wanted something to read.

Flip to the back where it declares "Victorian Cadel Evans".........................

I mean the Victorians just cannot help themselves, first off, he is a Territorian, who now lives in Victoriania, so just a lie, and secondly why would you even mention that in QLD, QLDers do not care.

f**king Victorians, an embarressment to Australians.

That is pathetic.

The Courier/Sunday Mails need a Victorian clean-out big time.

It doesn't help when the sports editor of the Sunday Mail was the paper's fumbleball writer for several years. At least she's a Queenslander though ;-)

bileduct

Coach
Don't buy the f**kin' paper, and don't link to the stupid webshite.

Anyone that reads a Rupert Murdoch newspaper needs their head examined.

hellteam

First Grade
More shit. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-shame-channel-7/story-e6frerdf-1226127535818

On the front page of the website of course

THE last time Collingwood played Geelong this season back in round eight, 7000 hardy souls in Brisbane, according to TV Tonight ratings, stayed up well past midnight to watch the four - yes, that's right four - hour delayed telecast. Dyed-in-the-wool Pies supporter and all round footy aficionado that I am, I wasn't one of them and never got to see the game. Like many other grown ups with families and a house to run, Channel 7 and the AFL please take note, I have busy Saturdays and cannot afford to go to bed at 2.30am.
Prior to that game and furious with Channel 7 for its treachery to footy fans and with the AFL for negotiating such a slack deal that allows its so-called broadcast partners to delay broadcasting games or simply dump them altogether, I penned my first Channel 7/AFL rant for the year.
I pointed out that down the entire eastern seaboard of Australia (and most points west for that matter) there were only two free-to-air broadcast areas missing out on live coverage of that game and one of them was Brisbane - a city in which I understood the league was determined to build the game's supporter base.

As it turned out, the match was a cracker, just three points the difference.
Between then and now all Brisbane-based oval ball dreamers, whose household budget doesn't stretch to Fox, have missed out on plenty of other Friday night crackers - Carlton and Geelong, round 9, West Coast and Geelong, round 16, Adelaide and Essendon, round 17 and Carlton and Hawthorn, two weeks ago, to name a few.
In fact, during the entire 2011 season, Channel 7, with its triplet digital stations, has only broadcast three Friday night matches live in Brisbane.
When the St Kilda Collingwood match (round 21) was also relegated to the midnight hour, I wrote warning of a great rage stirring in me at the prospect of Channel 7 refusing to show live the final Friday night game of the season between the Pies and the Cats, which will be, almost without doubt, the grand final precursor.
Well the time is nigh and Collingwood and Geelong, one and two on the ladder, will fight it out tonight.
And of course, while just about everyone else in Australia gets to watch it live or with a short delay free-to-air - including those on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts in Queensland - the scheduling shows Brisbanites will once again be treated to a range of hokey lifestyle shows and dated British and American repeatedly repeated sitcoms on Channel 7's channels such as Are You Being Served (By a Bunch of Excruciating Caricatures), One Foot in the (Already Exhumed Many Times) Grave, My Name is Earl (Schmearl), How I Met Your Mother (of All Irritating Shows).
Give me strength.
The commitment of 7 to the game is obviously about as strong as Joseph Stalin's was to capitalism.
And as for AFL chief Andrew Demetriou, whose outfit negotiated this appalling, fan-betraying deal, I have one request and one warning.
If you really do have a commitment to building the profile of the game in Queensland, for Chrissake grow a pair, pick up the phone and apply a bit of pressure to the suits at Channel 7.
And, next year's $1.25 billion deal had better not have given your broadcast partners any wriggle room because you'll get tired of reading my complaints before I get tired of writing them.
Margaret Wenham is The Courier-Mail's Viewpoint and Focus editor and loves the great game deeply.
Does she not realise the reason 7 put on shows such as How I Met your Mother is because they far out rate AFL?

Jim of Brisbane Posted at 11:45 AM Today
Whether you like to admit it or not, AFL will eventually take the head mantle in Brisbane. It'll probably take 20-30 years but it'll happen. There are more than enough AFL fans here to warrant showing more live AFL matches, not just the Brisbane and Gold Coast games.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ame-channel-7/comments-e6frerdf-1226127535818

From the same article I can't believe there complaining about the coverge in QLD they get it good enough as it is too good for the ratings in QLD suggest compare to the Storm they get shafted in there home state. yet this person is complaining about a game between two Victoria teams it which the majority of QLD couldn't get a two hoots about. :roll:

Flapper

First Grade
I like the one where some bird says her husband wore his Collingsfieldworthtonville foooooooody jumper and "hundreds" of people stopped and talked to him about it. :lol:

Hundreds. :lol:

If AFL fans are going to continue to troll comment sections of News Ltd papers in RL territories they can at least make the stories believable. The only thing I can imagine hundreds of people yelling at someone wearing an AFL "guernsey" in downtown Brisbane is "f**k off back to Victoria you merkin"

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
So 7,000 misplaced Victorians in Brisbane warrants live AFL games for non-Brisbane teams? Imagine what the Storm deserve then in Melbourne?

I'd love to know what universe some AFL fans live in.

Highway1

Juniors
I like the one where some bird says her husband wore his Collingsfieldworthtonville foooooooody jumper and "hundreds" of people stopped and talked to him about it. :lol:

Hundreds. :lol:

If AFL fans are going to continue to troll comment sections of News Ltd papers in RL territories they can at least make the stories believable. The only thing I can imagine hundreds of people yelling at someone wearing an AFL "guernsey" in downtown Brisbane is "f**k off back to Victoria you merkin"

Yeah that comment was a load of shit, as if AFL is anything special in Brisbane. In Queen St mall when you see a fellow guy with maroons gear you get the brotherly love. AFL...doensn't get a mention.

In the GC bulletin, I love it when a "Qlder" says "the Suns a the real community foodddy club", that comment gives it away that they're Victorians with f**k all to do with QLD.

Wanna get your blood boiling, the great name of Balmain is often abused by AFL fans pretending to be "ex-rugby league fans" on the terrorgraph.

Victorians bunch of Liars.

Brutus

Referee
Doesn't this bitch realise the game is being shown live on Main Event???

She'll get the Brisbane Lions game live on FTA on Saturday and a live game on Sunday as well.

I am sick to death of these AFL whingers. They get a better FTA deal in the RL states than RL does. And as for rugby league's FTA coverage in melb...

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
7,000 is fine, better than the 3,000 they get on Sundays.

26 Seven’s AFL: Rnd 22: Port Adelaide Vs Western Bulldogs Seven 326,000 4,000 161,000 3,000 99,000 59,000
Fridays aren't much better

10 Seven’s AFL: Rnd 21: St Kilda Vs Collingwood Seven 778,000 9,000 522,000 3,000 144,000 98,000
Also from week 33

20 Nine’s Sunday Football Nine 441,000 298,000 *** 143,000 *** ***
Seven’s AFL: Rnd 20: Brisbane Vs Adelaide Seven 194,000 *** *** 59,000 134,000 ***
That Nine game was Manly v Roosters. So 2nd v 15th in a complete blowout was over twice the rating of the Lions game.