What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Courier Mail-Fight Back

applesauce

Bench
56 pages? In a quality piece of toilet paper like the CM that's the whole paper minus the ads. anyone know how much the NRL got?

Just the standard 4 or 5 pages like it gets on a Friday, Sunday and Monday. The AFL typically get 3-4.

Yesterday had a half page colour pic of some guy with a mass beard from Fremantle - of all teams - (I swear I have never seen the bloke in my life).

So many stories from North Mel, Richmond and the Power it's so wierd cause they are not even known up here. I have seen people in the typical Collingwood/Carlton jerseys etc but I don't see how there is a market for the sh*t AFL clubs no-one up here knows of.

Brutus

Referee
Just the standard 4 or 5 pages like it gets on a Friday, Sunday and Monday. The AFL typically get 3-4.

Yesterday had a half page colour pic of some guy with a mass beard from Fremantle - of all teams - (I swear I have never seen the bloke in my life).

So many stories from North Mel, Richmond and the Power it's so wierd cause they are not even known up here. I have seen people in the typical Collingwood/Carlton jerseys etc but I don't see how there is a market for the sh*t AFL clubs no-one up here knows of.

It's strange and it's just as bad on radio.

On 2GB today the second sports news item was an injury to some Richmond player. The Super Network on 2SM which covers NSW and part of QLD, regularly have stories on players from nuff nuff clubs from Melb, Perth & Adelaide.

People living in Melbourne would never hear the words St George Illawarra, Parramatta and Rabbitohs if it wasn't for the Storm playing those teams. Come to think of it, they probably never hear of those words even when the Storm are playing those clubs.

The AFL has sooooo many advantages and get sooooo many leg ups over the NRL in this country.

Paullyboy

Coach
They get leg-ups because they have people in the right places. Look at the TV rights thread. Anyone with a logical business brain would acknowledge that the NRL rights should be higher than the AFL rights, but because the AFL have people at the top of the tree - it won't happen.

The Courier Mail sports editor is another perfect example of this. He knows there is no way of him being held accountable as there is no rival newspaper, so he just goes with his personal agenda.

hellteam

First Grade
Would the AFL have paid the papers to run that AFL preview? Saw it before, can't beleive you would get that for free with the paper, it was really detailed.

Packy

Bench
What an absolute waste of paper. 3 or 4 of these might get used but the rest? cya later trees.

kurt faulk

Coach

in the end does it really matter. the afl can promote their useless game as much as they want but in the end it's a horrible sport to watch. if you haven't been brainwashed from birth you're gonna see it for what it is, crap. no amount of marketing will help them, look at union.

Paullyboy

Coach

in the end does it really matter. the afl can promote their useless game as much as they want but in the end it's a horrible sport to watch. if you haven't been brainwashed from birth you're gonna see it for what it is, crap. no amount of marketing will help them, look at union.

You seem to underestimate how much people will follow a trend no matter how bad it may be

They get leg-ups because they have people in the right places. Look at the TV rights thread. Anyone with a logical business brain would acknowledge that the NRL rights should be higher than the AFL rights, but because the AFL have people at the top of the tree - it won't happen.

The Courier Mail sports editor is another perfect example of this. He knows there is no way of him being held accountable as there is no rival newspaper, so he just goes with his personal agenda.

Football is becoming more and more like politics.

Only have to look at the AFL recently recruiting an ex-liberal staff member to their admin as the libs are getting more power across the country after years of domination by labour in the states.

juanfarkall

Coach
Nice article in today's Courier with AFL wailing about the Broncs vs Storm match being scheduled for the same night as the Bears vs Thuns match.

Packy

Bench
It's been tripe for years. I can't see it improving. Imagine the DT with a QLD slant and then shit on it. That is your standard version of the CM.

redvscotty

First Grade
I will still never get over the CM during the Commonwealth games I think, in regards to the medal tally. On the front page.

It had:

1. QUEENSLAND
2. australia
3. Canada
4. England

and so on.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
dont read it. they only cover 2 teams in the NRL and an occasional 3rd one.

Best way to fight it is stop buying it. You can get all the stories on any of the websites that cover news.

Ive stopped buying papers for awhile now between sites like this and the other news sites basically everything gets covered.

This is exactly why I stopped reading. Bronco's, Cowboys & Titans...there are no other teams in the comp according to them. I didnt bother writing a complaint....I just stopped buying their paper. They wont change....

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I only stopped buying when the Victorianian stuff starting appearing over and over.

Who cares about Fitzroy?

Eelectrica

Referee
Can't remember the last year I bothered with the Courier Mail. Occasionally flip through it briefly while having lunch, but that's about it.

Latest posts