What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Court Hands Down Fonua-Blake Sentence

Hurricanerrc

Juniors
DRAGONS young gun Addin Fonua-Blake has been fined $1000 and hit with a 12 month suspended jail sentence for assaulting his ex-girlfriend.

The promising prop and former Dragons NYC captain pled guilty to the charge of common assault and was sentenced in Waverley court last Wednesday.

Fonua-Blake was hit with a Section 12 suspended sentence meaning he will not serve jail time but will enter into a good behaviour bond which will require him to comply with specific terms.

If he fails to comply with the terms of the behaviour bond, he will be recalled to court and will likely be sent to prison.

Touted as a future NRL star for the Red V, Fonua-Blake’s career is now in serious jeopardy and could be over before it begins.

The Dragons stood down the junior Kiwi from club duties in January after the incident was reported and will likely make a call on his future early next week.

Fonua-Blake is not only player the club has been forced to stand down in recent months. New recruit Dane Nielsen’s career is also in limbo after he was stood down for allegedly biting a woman’s leg at a Cronulla night club.

The NRL Integrity Unit is still investigating the Nielsen matter.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/court-hands-fonua-blake-sentence/

_Johnsy

Referee
Any player that is found to be violent towards women needs to be punted, we're not one of those clubs that condones this type of behaviour.

Any player that is found to be violent towards women needs to be punted, we're not one of those clubs that condones this type of behaviour.

The mere fact that he was given a suspended sentence clearly indicates the offence was not terribly serious and is most likely out of character.

Much less deplorable than Russell Packer for instance.

I would give the kid a chance.

If he offends again, the law will deal with him.

Fine him, and discipline him with a behavioural sanction, and keep a tight rein on him.

In the old days, young kids playing for the club were mentored by senior players and lived with older people until they were deemed mature enough to handle life in Sydney.

Designate someone to act as his unofficial minder, and get him back playing the game after he has served his club penalty.

Simple fact by standing him down Mary has shown he won't tolerate behaviour like that they did the same to Garvey last year.

He won't get punted and hopefully he has learned a valuable lesson.

With Neilson they should just let him go for being a such player period Mary wanted this guy for experience but he let Mary down badly and I can see them tearing his contract up.

TheRev

First Grade
How long is he suspended is the question, do dragons or nrl integrity decide? He's already missed a heap of footy, u20's could desperately use him if hes going to be available later this year.

bottle

Coach
How long is he suspended is the question, do dragons or nrl integrity decide? He's already missed a heap of footy, u20's could desperately use him if hes going to be available later this year.

I'd say it would be a process of consultation between the two to determine that.

SBD82

Coach
The mere fact that he was given a suspended sentence clearly indicates the offence was not terribly serious and is most likely out of character.

Much less deplorable than Russell Packer for instance.

I would give the kid a chance.

If he offends again, the law will deal with him.

Fine him, and discipline him with a behavioural sanction, and keep a tight rein on him.

In the old days, young kids playing for the club were mentored by senior players and lived with older people until they were deemed mature enough to handle life in Sydney.

Designate someone to act as his unofficial minder, and get him back playing the game after he has served his club penalty.
A suspended sentence doesn't really show that it's not serious

In escalating order of severity:
Good behavior bond
Probation
Suspended sentence
Parole
Control order

So if a court hands down a suspended sentence the only option it really leaves itself for further offenses is a custodial sentence. Assuming it's a first offense it probably means that the offense was fairly serious.

_Johnsy

Referee
People convicted of manslaughter and rape have and can receive a suspended sentence.

If a Court believes the offence is serious enough to impose imprisonment but there is good reason to suspend the sentence, it may do so on the condition that the person enters into a bond. Factors considered when the Court is deciding wether to impose a suspended sentence or not (such as age, ill health, or previous good character, previous or lack of criminal history) which suggest the defendant should not immediately be imprisoned.

gorilla

First Grade

I reckon 20s is a lost cause. If he comes back, slot him into Cutters.

_Johnsy

Referee
Has there been any word from the club since sentencing?

Where they are at with decision?

I'd imagine they won't address until the off season & try and slink him back into the top squad with a no more chances clause.

The Nick

Bench
I'd like to see him cut from the squad. Mary can't justify Packer's act as "Man v Man" and then keep a player who thinks it's acceptable for "Man v Woman". There is a much MUCH bigger issue here than a mere game of rugby league.

Perhaps OT but I am SICK and TIRED of the issue of domestic violence in this country.

My opinion is that NRL is man's game for only the toughest competitors. Once you commit any form of abuse towards a woman or child you are no longer eligible to compete in this arena.

Down here in Canberra the community is reeling from having 3 women murdered in acts of domestic violence this year alone!!! This country, the Federal and State Governments, the Courts and even sporting bodies such as the NRL (which seems to have an atrociously high level of violence against women) need to stop paying lip service to the subject and actually start taking action. No more second chances for these guys.

These bullsh!t one day courses about respect for women that the rookies undertake are simply a waste of time and money.

It makes my blood boil any time the Cowboys, Titans etc take the field and I have to watch predatory pieces of sh!t like Robert Lui and Greg Bird. I certainly don't want any of these dogs wearing the Red & White.

ek999

First Grade
Based off the Souths bloke, he will probably have to sit out most of this season if not all of it

Rob Dragon

Juniors
The Nick, agree 100% with your post. Some organisation, at sometime must make a stance on this issue. Let it be us!

Just read that AFB will be fronting the board this Sunday afternoon to determine his fate so looks like we will all no if our future enforcer will be given a shot for redemption also in other new Dane Neilson is appealing his sacking from the club lol

denis preston

First Grade
Really don't know how i would feel whichever way it goes. He deserves punishment but also help but I will be disappointed if he plays again this year.

What is the significance of a game day announcement of our intentions ?

Cagey Mac

Bench
I'd like to see him cut from the squad. Mary can't justify Packer's act as "Man v Man" and then keep a player who thinks it's acceptable for "Man v Woman". There is a much MUCH bigger issue here than a mere game of rugby league.

Perhaps OT but I am SICK and TIRED of the issue of domestic violence in this country.

My opinion is that NRL is man's game for only the toughest competitors. Once you commit any form of abuse towards a woman or child you are no longer eligible to compete in this arena.

Down here in Canberra the community is reeling from having 3 women murdered in acts of domestic violence this year alone!!! This country, the Federal and State Governments, the Courts and even sporting bodies such as the NRL (which seems to have an atrociously high level of violence against women) need to stop paying lip service to the subject and actually start taking action. No more second chances for these guys.

These bullsh!t one day courses about respect for women that the rookies undertake are simply a waste of time and money.

It makes my blood boil any time the Cowboys, Titans etc take the field and I have to watch predatory pieces of sh!t like Robert Lui and Greg Bird. I certainly don't want any of these dogs wearing the Red & White.
I can't disagree
There is no justification for DV
Life can be frustrating but violence towards women and children is unforgivable and cowardly

denis preston

First Grade
Really don't know how i would feel whichever way it goes. He deserves punishment but also help but I will be disappointed if he plays again this year.

What is the significance of a game day announcement of our intentions ?

Shit, this must have been a gee up as it was womens round. The club must be taking a couple of weeks for things to cool down.

I'm with Nick and Cagey Mac. I'd rather our club just say no, whatever his potential. It's an emotional response (though there's a reasonable enough rational and principled case to be made in the same direction) but I couldn't cheer him in the red V.

Latest posts