What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covell kicks on

ozcrusader

Bench
From today's smh:

Covell kicks on for Residents
July 8, 2004

NSW Residents 20 Qeensland Residents 12

New Cronulla signing Luke Covell celebrated his contract by kicking two goals for NSW Residents in their win over Queensland in last night's Origin curtain-raiser.

Covell played solidly as the Blues came from 12-10 down at half-time to win a hard-fought contest at Telstra Stadium.

So Covell is not good enough for us, but makes the NSW Residents team? After we let an 80% goalkicker go, we then apparently go and sign some no name craparse player like Paul Whatuira??

No wonder this club is screwed.

simon says

First Grade
Gee their is some whining going on atm.A month ago it was so positive,and now its all doom and gloom.

Hopefully we can win this weekend and get back that loving feeling.

PS.....I dont care if Covell scored 4 tries and kicked 18/18,he just isnt a fort grader,and we have a good kicker.

Wrighty79

Juniors
Agree Simon. Covell is good for depth, but Collis will be a much better player, and can kick just as good.

McGrime

Juniors
I am absolutley pissed off about loosing Covell :x
Why did we let this guy go?????
I would like to see WT win loss ratio when Covell was in the starting side.
Sure he's not the fastest in the world,
Just read the article above "Solid"
That's what he brought to our team, that's what we lack at the moment
"SOLID COMMITMENT" :(

#-o It's OKAY I will be better by the weekend.

simon says

First Grade
Anyone who has watched Covell play first grade with their eyes open would not be pissed at him going.....we have a top shelf kicker,and plenty coming through that are potentially way better players than Covell that also kick(re Collis).

Time for a Bex and a liedown for some methinks.....

Miracle Balls

Juniors
goangod said:
From today's smh:

Covell kicks on for Residents
July 8, 2004

NSW Residents 20 Qeensland Residents 12

New Cronulla signing Luke Covell celebrated his contract by kicking two goals for NSW Residents in their win over Queensland in last night's Origin curtain-raiser.

Covell played solidly as the Blues came from 12-10 down at half-time to win a hard-fought contest at Telstra Stadium.

So Covell is not good enough for us, but makes the NSW Residents team? After we let an 80% goalkicker go, we then apparently go and sign some no name craparse player like Paul Whatuira??

No wonder this club is screwed.

Whatuira is twice the player that Covell is.

If the rumours are true I'll be stoked to see him at the Tigers.

ozcrusader

Bench
Simon says is among the (multitude) of supporters who are satisfied with mediocrity.

The fact that two top 4 teams put 50+ points on us is an accurate indication of where this club lies. Still, conceding a hundred points in two games (the first team in the history of league to do so), is no time to panic.

We should of course, let our junior talent go. To make up for it, we will then target such illustrious greats such as Paul Dezolt, Paul Whatuira and Ruben 'one foot in the retirement home' Wiki. :roll:

Time to get someone's head checked methinks....

simon says

First Grade
:lol: :lol: :lol:

To be honest with ya,you are nearly right.Mediocrity is sooo much better than the garbage that we have been dealing with that I am almost content.To win some games and be in the hunt for the semis was all that I was expecting and Im pretty happy with that.

I still maintain that we are only 2 forwards off being a top 8 team,and we ARE in the hunt for some forwrds.

And my head HAS been checked,and even though I have killed billions of brain cells believe it or not Im still a fricken genius,but thanks for the concern mate.

Cheers. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

steven_tiger

Juniors
GG if you don't rate wiki you've got rocks in your head.

big, tough, prop or second rower. he would make a huge difference if he could have two injury/suspention free years with us.

simon says

First Grade
Wiki is an absolute gun....I dont care if he is 30,40,50 or a hundred.

He is an enforcer that I would be stoked to have playing in our colours,and I know we have talked to him too. ;-) ;-)

ozcrusader

Bench
simon says said:
To win some games and be in the hunt for the semis was all that I was expecting and Im pretty happy with that.

Yeah - this is exaclty the attitude of Tigers management as well. Can you ever imagine Wayne Bennett, Ricky Stuart or Phil Gould being happy with just 'winning a few games'?

I think not. Small goals, small minds.

I still maintain that we are only 2 forwards off being a top 8 team,and we ARE in the hunt for some forwrds.

So far we have been linked to Ned Catic and Peter Cusack - I can hear other teams quaking in their boots already. I agree we need forwards - this doesnt mean we let our junior talent go.

ozcrusader

Bench
steven_tiger said:
GG if you don't rate wiki you've got rocks in your head.

big, tough, prop or second rower. he would make a huge difference if he could have two injury/suspention free years with us.

This is why we see gun clubs like the Broncos, Dogs and Roosters lining up for his signature :roll:

He maybe a decent player - but you do NOT build your team around 30 yr olds. We already have Sattler and O'Neill and Senter and Mears for experience.

Bloody hell, some people just don't get it. We should copy the recruitment strategies of the top clubs - they do not go out chasing older players!

steven_tiger

Juniors
they are totally different players. wiki is an enforcer, which the broncos (tallis), dogs (mason) and roosters(morley) already have.

we do not. wiki himselves says he has more good years ahead of him. thats good enough for me.

ozcrusader

Bench
So why not buy a young Mason, or young Tallis or a young Wiki?

Oh, sorry that's a long term strategy for success and we just don't do that here...

innsaneink

Referee
goangod said:

Oh, sorry that's a long term strategy for success and we just don't do that here...

Its not that easy......these guys you mentioned had nowhere near the talent they have now when they were in their early 20's......no doubt that there are future Wikis,Masons and tallis' running round in PL and flegg right now....spotting em is the key.

innsaneink

Referee
goangod said:
simon says said:
To win some games and be in the hunt for the semis was all that I was expecting and Im pretty happy with that.

Yeah - this is exaclty the attitude of Tigers management as well. Can you ever imagine Wayne Bennett, Ricky Stuart or Phil Gould being happy with just 'winning a few games'?

I think not. Small goals, small minds.

So far we have been linked to Ned Catic and Peter Cusack - I can hear other teams quaking in their boots already. I agree we need forwards - this doesnt mean we let our junior talent go.

Yet your whinging about us letting a reserve grade goalkicker go thats NOW kicking at 70%?

Miracle Balls

Juniors
goangod said:

You seem to be contradicting yourself. It seems that we've just bought a young (23 yr old) international & premiership winner in Whatuira, and your still not satisfied!

Think before you start condemning the club.

ozcrusader

Bench
As has been pointed out on this forum many times, we need forwards.

We do not need ageing back rowers. We do not need fringe first graders. To ensure a solid team now and into the future, we need a young, solid forward pack. E.g. look at the Panthers - Clinton, Ross, etc

We do not need centres. We have centres coming out of our ears.

If we did buy a centre, they would have to be a gamebreaker - someone with heaps of talent who can turn games. Whatuira is not that player.

Additionally, we do not let up and coming players go easily. If Covell is so sh*t, why did he make the NSW Residents team? Obviously someone sees something in him.

Releasing talented juniors and then buying fringe first graders in positions we dont need is a farce.

Miracle Balls

Juniors
goangod said:
As has been pointed out on this forum many times, we need forwards.

Additionally, we do not let up and coming players go easily. If Covell is so sh*t, why did he make the NSW Residents team? Obviously someone sees something in him.

Releasing talented juniors and then buying fringe first graders in positions we dont need is a farce.

Why are you so caught up with the glory of being selected in a NSW Residents team? It's only open to Premier League, Jim Beam Cup & Country players for crying out loud. No high achievement in my eyes I'm afraid.

And Whatuira as an international & Grand Final winner is also a long way from being a "fringe first-grader". If you don't rate the bloke fair enough, but don't cloud the issue and condemn the club with bogus arguments.

Latest posts