What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys scouts snare 2 Kumuls

Kumul

Juniors
Cowboys scouts snare 2 Kumuls By SUSAN OREAPE-FARAPO
THE Papua New Guinea rugby league side’s two-national European tour kicked off yesterday with the welcome news that two Kumuls have been offered two-year contracts to play in Australia next year.

As the Kumuls were about to board their flight via Singapore it was announced that Michael Mark and Jessie Joe have signed up to play for NRL’s North Queensland Cowboys feeder club Northern Pride rugby league club.
Both Mark and Joe are products of this year’s SP Cup competition.
The PNG Rugby Football League said yesterday that the two players were selected for their rugby skills and outstanding performances during the SP Cup competition this year, and also for their fine showing in the Kumuls selection match at Lloyd Robson Oval on Saturday between Residents and Internationals.
It is a dream come true for a home-grown hero Michael Mark who had been a consistent player and whose effort has finally been recognised at the international scene. Mark plays with the Pagini Warriors of Chimbu province the SP Cup competition.
“The contract is a great privilege given by an overseas club, and I am thankful for the opportunity given by the Northern Pride,” Mark, who was lost for words, said yesterday. “I am prepared to play for the club next two years,” he added.
Mark was one of the six debutants named in the Telikom PNG Kumuls squad which left yesterday for the France and Wales tour.
“It is a dream come true for me in representing my country to play rugby league and with this opportunity for the France-Wales tour I will play my best,” Mark said.
Kumuls coach Adrian Lam said yesterday that the contract procedures were still being finalized before Mark and Joe link up with Northern Pride in Queensland for the next two years.
Lam said that Northern Pride have also shown interest in overseas-based Kumuls Steve Franciscus and Tu Maori as well as another local product Nixon Kolo.
He said before departure for Singapore that he had trained the Kumuls well and believed that the tour would be an overwhelming success.
“We have trained hard and have a good side after the Origin clash last Saturday. I am happy with the selected squad and I will make sure we will play our best during the tour. I also congratulate all for making the Telikom PNG Kumuls.
The Kumuls will play five matches - one in Wales and four in France which included two Tests.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Good stuff Cowboys, we need more teams doing this.

The more PNG players running around in the NRL, the sooner we eventually get an NRL team based out of Port Moresby.

Quidgybo

Bench
ParraEelsNRL said:
The more PNG players running around in the NRL, the sooner we eventually get an NRL team based out of Port Moresby.
The sooner PNG becomes a first world country the sooner we will get an NRL team based out of Port Moresby. Sadly, the number of PNG players running around in the NRL will have nothing to do with that.

Leigh.

BatiFan

Juniors
Great news. I cant wait to see Michael Mark play. From ll the reports he sounds like an absolute gun and if they are drawing comparisions to him and Marcus Bai the Cowboys may have tapped into a great find. Pleasing to see Jessie Joe picked up also, as with all developing nations, getting experienced halves is hard to come by, so having Joe (who is a 5/8) playing in a competition like the QLD Cup is great news.

Cant wait to see these two in the games against France and Wales.

Latest posts