What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Frawley a Raider.

Whitty

Juniors
Bennett has kept Frawley on the books at the Broncos for a few years now even though he was not playing through having knee reconstructions done - says a lot about him as a player if Bennett will keep him there even though he may never have come good. Usually the Broncs give them the shove pretty quick if they are long term injured and as yet unproven players.

greeneyed

First Grade
legend said:
So then it would go:

Schif
Smith/Robbo
Frawley
Mogg
Graham
Gafa
Macca

ALthough I would start with Carney, I feel Elliott will go with this backline and use Carney off the bench.

Can't see a place for Boogs in that side unfortunately as Gafa can switch into the outside backs at any time to cover the introduction of Carney.

I can guarantee you the coach will have Jason Smith in the halves. He didn't buy him for the forwards. It will be Brad Drew all over again. I would prefer Gaffa in there myself.

In tofays Canberra Times it said that the chance of playing in his favourite position (centre) could be the incentive for him to sign here.

Heres hoping it is :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mal Meninga

Bench
A highly rated prospect coming to Canberra?! You're kidding me!!!!
The guy's probably in line for a QLD jumper, he's risked it all to play for Canberra(that's if he does sign) shows he wants to be here 8)

mike83au

Juniors
Mal Meninga said:
A highly rated prospect coming to Canberra?! You're kidding me!!!!
The guy's probably in line for a QLD jumper, he's risked it all to play for Canberra(that's if he does sign) shows he wants to be here 8)

That.... and the mighty dollar $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

greeneyed

First Grade
Bronco Frawley weighing up benefits of move to Raiders and centre spot
Rugby league By Bevan Hannan
Friday, 16 July 2004

Emerging Brisbane outside-back Craig Frawley is expected to decide next week if he will accept an offer to join the Canberra Raiders in 2005.

Player manager David Phillips yesterday described negotiations as "positive" and said the final choice had been narrowed down to the Broncos and the Raiders.

Frawley, 23, has scored 10 tries in 13 appearances for the Broncos on the wing this season but it was a desire to return to his favoured position of centre which made Canberra a tempting destination.

The mid-season trading merry-go-round saw the Sydney Roosters agree to release Queensland Origin centre Justin Hodges to Brisbane and poach Canberra's Joel Monaghan as a replacement. While this has created another obstacle to Frawley securing a centre spot at the Broncos, it has created an opening with the Raiders that he is close to pursuing.

"That's the main thing for Craig," Phillips said. "He played centre as a younger player and for whatever reason started playing wing at the Broncos. They have terrific centres in [Brent] Tate, [Shaun] Berrigan and now Hodges coming to the club. The major attraction is the fact that he has an opportunity at centre. If he decides to join the club that would be a significant reason."

Frawley, who made his first- grade debut last season, plans to meet with the Raiders and view the facilities in Canberra next week.

With Brisbane in the midst of negotiations with top priority Darren Lockyer and already having re-signed Petero Civoniceva, Karmichael Hunt, Barry Berrigan and Tate, the Broncos can't afford to match the Raiders' bid.

Frawley first joined the Broncos as a teenager before having two seasons wiped out by knee reconstructions. But he has fought his way back to be an eye-catching performer in 26 NRL matches.

"The offer is of serious interest," Phillips said. "We are looking to have a visit, come back and mull it over. He wants to settle his future sooner rather than later so it is not going to be an issue that drags on.

"He obviously wants to do the right thing by the Broncos who have been a great club to him and stood by him through those couple of injuries. So it is not an easy decision from that point of view."

Frawley is a Redcliffe junior, the same club which produced Raider Phil Graham, and he played with present Canberra first-graders Mark McLinden, Michael Hodgson and Troy Thompson for the 1997 Australian Schoolboys.

The Raiders announced the retention of five of its most promising players yesterday.

Winger Nathan Smith and forward Alan Rothery, who are both in the first-grade squad playing premiers Penrith tomorrow night, signed for two years. Another 21-year-old who has also been blooded in the top grade this year, Kris Kahler, signed for the same period.

Coach Matt Elliott said it wouldn't be too long before the other two re-signings Beau Mundine (two years) and Steve Franciscus (one year) also featured in the big league.

Mundine, 23, joined the Raiders from South Sydney this year and is a cousin of boxer Anthony Mundine. Franciscus, 21, is a Papua New Guinea World Sevens representative in his first season at Canberra after arriving from Queensland Cup team Wests Panthers. Elliott said both were being groomed as centres.

"I remain entirely confident that we are going to have a formidable roster next year," Elliott said. "With all this speculation on people going, we have tended to miss a little bit of who is still here and who is on the way.

"I am really excited about Beau Mundine. I think he is a guy with a full pre-season he is going to come on a long way. He's got a great frame, great speed and tremendous feet.

"Franciscus has adapted to the culture of the club and living in Canberra. He has a great attitude and a lot of physical attributes that will allow him to press for first- grade honours as well."

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Yep, Phil was a Tamworth Junior, so was Tongue. They were both back here recently to help out with a coaching course for the young whippersnappers.

But Phil did go to Redcliffe along with MoggDog before they went their separate ways - Phil to the Raiders and MoggDog to the Eels. Obviously they are now both at the Raiders. It helps to explain why they had a bonza start to last year's NRL season.

legend

Coach
Lol.

Things look pretty positive though and the Broncos would only have themselves to blame by bringing Hodges back into the fold.

The same way we could read between the lines about Ruben and Joel, is the feeling I get about Frawley, except in our favour for a change.

Poida_Raider

Bench
frawley goes alright i reckon.
he'd look good in green thats for sure!!

hey TiTTieS, do you live in Tamworth?? i live in Tamworth!

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
From http://www.broncos.com.au/index.cfm?TopMenuID=266&MenuID=277&CompetitorID=16Player Zone - Craig Frawley

Date of Birth: August 19, 1980
Height: 188cm (1.88m)
Weight: 95kg
First Grade Games: 26
Tries: 13
Goals: 0
Field Goals: 0

Frawley's frustration finally gave way to a full season in 2003. After missing the previous three seasons with knee injuries, Frawley took his opportunities in Broncos colours, playing 13 matches and scoring three tries.

He has grown in confidence in 2004, scoring five tries in just eight appearances so far. Frawley has all but secured a wing spot with some assured performances, including a magnificent hat trick of tries against Canberra, and at just 23 years of age he is a real long term prospect for the club on the contentious flank positions.

Frawley's ability under the high ball, his confidence returning the football and an outstanding ability to read the game in defence is combining to make him one of the most valuable players in the side.

Hmmmmm, just watching the rap after the game tonight, they showed a list of off contract players (such as rieck and franze who wouldnt be too bad) and Craig Frawley wasnt on it, whats the deal, has he signed with us already?

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
VictorTheViking said:
Hmmmmm, just watching the rap after the game tonight, they showed a list of off contract players (such as rieck and franze who wouldnt be too bad) and Craig Frawley wasnt on it, whats the deal, has he signed with us already?

Yeah, I couldn't see his name either, and he isn't listed in BigLeague Round 16.