What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Gower

Stifmeister

Juniors
Reported today in our Rugby League papers that he is in talks with St Helens for 2007.

In a way it's good news but also bad from a Saints fans point of view..... as it will mean Jamie Lyon will definately leave.

The Rhino

Juniors
I wouldn't. Gower is loyal, Lyons isn't. I'd rather a bloke who will stand by his mates instead of walking out on them after getting thrashed in one game!

Anyway, I doubt Gower will be leaving. His current contract does not run out until 2010.

Stifmeister

Juniors
The Rhino said:
I wouldn't. Gower is loyal, Lyons isn't. I'd rather a bloke who will stand by his mates instead of walking out on them after getting thrashed in one game!

Anyway, I doubt Gower will be leaving. His current contract does not run out until 2010.

2009 his contract runs out.

EDIT: UNFOUNDED RUMOUR

We're also interested in signing Matt Cooper for next year.

The Rhino

Juniors
Gower signed a new 5 year deal in the middle of 2005 which takes him up to 2010 in the Panthers jersey.

He removed the get-out clause back in 2003 about 7 rounds into the 2003 season, a couple of wins after starting our record winning streak, if I remember correctly.

http://panthers.rleague.com/news/index.php?next=30
GOWER, ROONEY FORMALLY RE-SIGN
Mar 15 - Craig Gower and Luke Rooney this evening formally signed contracts to stay with Penrith.

Both had earlier announced their intention to remain with the club that developed them from its own junior ranks through to the highest levels of the game. In Craig's case, there was some fine-tuning to be done before the contract was signed.

"Craig has signed until the end of 2010 and Luke until the end of 2008," Michael Leary, Panthers General Manager for Rugby League Operations said tonight. "It is a really great feeling to have finalised these negotiations with two such fine players."

Michael had no news to add about the future plans of Tony Puletua or Preston Campbell. "We have made them offers and they are still considering them."

Sharks wear down Panthers
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sun Mar 13, 8:33pm (NSW)[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Written by: Matthew O'Neill
Cronulla have started the 2005 season off on the right foot defeating Penrith 20-14 in front of 19,562 fans at Toyota Park. The Sharks victory has come at a cost with Keith Galloway and Danny Nutley likely to face suspension for a dangerous lifting tackle on Penrith hooker Luke Priddis.

Penrith scored first through a Preston Campbell penalty goal. Both sides had early tries disallowed with Hutch Maiava and Rhys Wesser being denied but ironically both players would cross not long after. Maiava showed good footwork and the benefits of losing plenty of off-season weight stepping Craig Gower to score the opening try of the night.

Wesser struck back for Penrith when he beat several defenders to level up the scores and Campbell's conversion put Penrith up 8-6.

The Panthers held the lead heading into the break but Nigel Vagana finally seeing some clean football thanks to Adam Dykes' presence at five-eighth scored in the 47th minute to put Cronulla back into the lead. Sam Isemonger scored six minutes later with Luke Covell converting both tries as Cronulla all the sudden led 18-8.

Luke Priddis got Penrith back into the match when he crashed over from dummy half in the 56th minute. Covell added a penalty goal for the Sharks in the 62nd minute and the final 18 minutes of the match saw no points added.

Penrith made plenty of errors with halfback Craig Gower in particular looking very rusty after not playing in any of the pre-season matches.

The Sharks played very good football and will be competitive in 2005. Penrith are still one of the teams to beat but a notch below the Bulldogs and Roosters.

HAVE YOUR SAY:
Grandstand

CRONULLA-SUTHERLAND SHARKS 20
Tries: Hutch Maiava, Nigel Vagana, Sam Isemonger
Goals: Covell 4 from 4
Team: David Peachey, David Simmons, Nigel Vagana, Ryan McGoldrick, Luke Covell, Adam Dykes, Brett Kimmorley (c), Hutch Maiava, Matt Hilder, Danny Nutley, Andrew Lomu, Phil Bailey, Paul Gallen. Subs: Keith Galloway, Sam Isemonger, Greg Bird, Michael Sullivan.
defeated PENRITH PANTHERS 14
Tries: Rhys Wesser, Luke Priddis
Goals: Campbell 3 from 3
Team: Rhys Wesser, Trent Clayton, Luke Lewis, Paul Franze, Luke Rooney, Preston Campbell, Craig Gower (c), Joel Clinton, Luke Priddis, Ben Ross, Joe Galuvao, Tony Puletua, Trent Waterhouse. Subs: Garret Crossman, Frank Puletua, Frank Pritchard, Luke Swain.
[/font]
Venue: Toyota Park Date: Sat Mar 12 7:30pm
Referee: Tony Archer
Half time: Panthers 8-6
First Try: Hutch Maiava (Sharks)

*Sandy*

First Grade
Stifmeister said:
EDIT: UNFOUNDED RUMOUR.

With regards to the member guidelines please source your rumour and in particular I want a source to substantiate the above quote by you. I will remove this paragraph as being unfounded if you havent linked us by tonight.

In regards to Gower being linked with St.Helens ... what's new with the Pommies! Gowers also being linked to Wigan by his desparate manager who hit panic buttons according to Willet's quote in the Sunday Tele this week. :lol:

SOURCING MATERIAL & ALLEGATIONS
It is important that members provide a source to back up any claims. Any posted material without a source (URL or published reference) may be removed.
Remember that all allegations remain allegations and that we exercise the presumption of innocence until proven otherwise.
Please note that repeating overheard conversations, or something you heard ‘from a mate’ is not considered to be a ‘reliable source’. Rumours and innuendo are not proof and any such speculation will be edited or deleted.

choc_soldier

Coach
I was under the distinct impression that we have stitched up Craig for a while yet. This is interesting.

Fibroman

First Grade
I dont blame Gowie for looking at England if Penrith give him a release. After the last off-field episode, I would be surprised to see him wearing the light blue or green and gold again. At least he will be able to have a cold beer in public over in pommie land and not have every pr1ck and his dog pointing the finger at him, over past peccadillos.

Gaz_E

Juniors
Fibroman said:
I dont blame Gowie for looking at England if Penrith give him a release. After the last off-field episode, I would be surprised to see him wearing the light blue or green and gold again. At least he will be able to have a cold beer in public over in pommie land and not have every pr1ck and his dog pointing the finger at him, over past peccadillos.

I wouldn't be too sure over the finger pointing, some people over here would try and wind him just because of that.

Stifmeister

Juniors
PK said:
With regards to the member guidelines please source your rumour and in particular I want a source to substantiate the above quote by you. I will remove this paragraph as being unfounded if you havent linked us by tonight.

In regards to Gower being linked with St.Helens ... what's new with the Pommies! Gowers also being linked to Wigan by his desparate manager who hit panic buttons according to Willet's quote in the Sunday Tele this week. :lol:

You you can't mention when his contract runs out without providing a link ?

Fair enough if it was major news and i was lieing ffs!

I was quoting the league express, pay a fiver to read it online if you so wish.

2010 - 2009 what's the difference, when the clubs want him for 2007 ?

Stifmeister

Juniors
Gaz_E said:
I wouldn't be too sure over the finger pointing, some people over here would try and wind him just because of that.

I disagree!

The media aint bothered about our rugby league players (unless something serious happened of course).

I go round Warrington and you're guaranteed to run into Wire players, same when i'm round St Helens with the likes of Longy and Wilkin.

lainey

Juniors
Stifmeister said:
You you can't mention when his contract runs out without providing a link ?

Fair enough if it was major news and i was lieing ffs!

I was quoting the league express, pay a fiver to read it online if you so wish.

2010 - 2009 what's the difference, when the clubs want him for 2007 ?

If you notice PK actually left the year you quoted as the year Gower's contract expires. It must have been what was above it and I can't remember what it was.....:?

*Sandy*

First Grade
Yes that's right lainey, i only deleted a paragraph of a claim he made, which i believe was only to create disharmony within a club forum with it's members. I couldnt careless about the rumours linking Gowie to ESL - it happens every year now since 2003. Afterall our Gowie is a legond on the field!!

Stif - you got a problem with my moderating -- take your whinge to Admin.

Stifmeister

Juniors
PK said:
Yes that's right lainey, i only deleted a paragraph of a claim he made, which i believe was only to create disharmony within a club forum with it's members. I couldnt careless about the rumours linking Gowie to ESL - it happens every year now since 2003. Afterall our Gowie is a legond on the field!!

Stif - you got a problem with my moderating -- take your whinge to Admin.

I've got no problem! you sexy little minx, you ! ;-)

I honestly can't remember what i put that was removed, i thought it was the year of his contract, however i never intended to cause any disharmony.

Stifmeister

Juniors
Parra Guru said:
St Helens can go jump.

Start breeding your own talent.

James Roby - tipped for GB this year.

James Graham - tipped for GB this year

Ian Hardman

Paul Wellens - GB international

Kieron Cunningham - Worlds best hooker

Paul Clough - England academy captain

Dean Mcgilvray - England academy

Ste Tyrer - England academy

Matty Smith - England academy

Seen Weed - England academy

Chris Frodsham - England acdademy

That's our local players in our first team squad this season, don't forget we dont have massive service areas to choose from.

Parramatta etc... have the whole of the Sydney region to look for talent.

Just out of interest! how many local youngsters do you have in your first team squad this season ?

Local i mean from the Parramatta area, not the whole of Sydney.