What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crap Catcher Commentary

ChipNChase

Juniors
Why won't Phil Gould just bugger off and never return?

He gets more airtime than Eddie McGuire and thinks he knows everything about the game, from the origins of blindside runs to the latest in male footy players underwear. :roll: He's the nagging wife (that won't put out), the whinging bloody kids (who won't put out...the bins) and ever-present mother-in-law (who won't put herself out and die already) all rolled into one.
He played ten years for Penrith/Newtown/Canterbury/South and scored a whopping 8 tries (5 of which came in his last 5 years - yeehah, doubled the strike rate), and yet he's an expert on every attacking play in the game.
He and Bill Harrigan have to be the two greatest self-professed exponents of "bigger than the game" syndrome that there has ever been. He and Rebecca Wilson should arrange themselves an illicit affair, take off for a deserted island somewhere (with no TV cameras, live feeds or, actually, anything that could even potentially serve as a form of conversing with the outside world), and bludgeon each other to death with their unique brands of bullsh.it.

Rebecca Wilson, Ray Hadley, Laurie Daley are all deadset muppets...How the hell can it be so hard to find some decent commentary on our great game?!?! :cry:

Mr Saab

Referee
You are a goose.
Whilst Gus sometimes can carry on a fair bit, he does know alot about the game. He has probably forgotten more than you would know.
So what he scored only 5 tries??? Since when does an ex player have to score 100 tries to know what he is talking about?
Gus doesnt have to answer to anyone. He has won 2 GFs, (one as a 30 yr old) and 6 origin series. How many coaches can lay claim to that? I think he "knows" quite a fair bit.

ChipNChase

Juniors
Well, winning 6 origin series with arguably the best halves combination and centre three-quarters in the history of the game, how much of a coaching feat is that really?
He makes a point of putting people offside (re: Johns), maintains his stranglehold on publicity with idle threats toward the press (who, behind the fans, are the lifeblood of the game) and is generally a condescending and arrogant bloke who regularly does more backflips than the Romanian gymnastics team. He shoots his mouth off and then backs away when its obvious he is wrong. He has always done it, and everyone is too afraid to publicly deride him as the knob he is.
I would agree he is quite a knowledgeable guy, but noone likes to be forcefed if it means also having to accept the belittling tone his "genius" denotes.

The Preacher

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
You are a goose.
Whilst Gus sometimes can carry on a fair bit, he does know alot about the game. He has probably forgotten more than you would know.
So what he scored only 5 tries??? Since when does an ex player have to score 100 tries to know what he is talking about?
Gus doesnt have to answer to anyone. He has won 2 GFs, (one as a 30 yr old) and 6 origin series. How many coaches can lay claim to that? I think he "knows" quite a fair bit.

Spot on Charlie. This bloke is an idiot.
I'll repeat a previous description used on a like minded person.

Tailor: What size neck are you Mr. Chip n Chase ?
CnC: Long, very very long, I'm a GOOSE !!!!!:(

Tommy Smith

Referee
Gould is by far the most insightful commentator in the game. He is very also passionate.

Make no mistake about it, our coverage of Rugby League would not be the same without characters like Phil Gould.

So whilst its so easy to follow everyone else like a sheep and say "Goose Gould", "Gus is a dick" etc, why dont you stop and think and determine logically whether Gus is good for our game. Because he is. Only a lemon couldnt see that.

drake

First Grade
Gould can be annoying, especially when he pushes an agenda.

Having said that, he is the most intelligent, insightful and passionate commentator in Australia.

His rev up for the origin series last year gave me chills.

innsaneink

Referee
Tommy Smith said:
Gould is by far the most insightful commentator in the game. He is very also passionate.

Make no mistake about it, our coverage of Rugby League would not be the same without characters like Phil Gould.

So whilst its so easy to follow everyone else like a sheep and say "Goose Gould", "Gus is a dick" etc, why dont you stop and think and determine logically whether Gus is good for our game. Because he is. Only a lemon couldnt see that.

Too right about the passion Tommy.

His Origin previews of the last few series, along with some relevant footage have gotten me psyched up for the upcoming match like nothing or no-one else in the media ever has....

God-King Dean

Immortal
As everyone said, he knows his sh*t.

But the main thing I like him is he isn't an apolagised like the rest of the Merry Footy Show.

rugged

Juniors
Chip n Chase, you are so accurate it's uncanny.

Maybe Gould does know a thing or two, and maybe the rest of them do too including Eddie, but I have had them all up to my back teeth. Let them stick to a program where they can rabbit on. Not during the commentary please - we are trying to watch the game!

dubby

Bench
Gould is the passion and brains of the 9 commentary team.
What annoys me most, is his love affair with players likely to be roosters (Anasta:last year Gus kept going on and on about how great Braith is), and his relentless tirade against referees. The poor buggers never get it right in Gus's eyes!

The Preacher

First Grade
rugged said:
Chip n Chase, you are so accurate it's uncanny.

Maybe Gould does know a thing or two, and maybe the rest of them do too including Eddie, but I have had them all up to my back teeth. Let them stick to a program where they can rabbit on. Not during the commentary please - we are trying to watch the game!

I think it's great when anyone drowns out Rabby Warren. I'd rather listen to a knowledgable footy expert like Gus, than a haven't got a clue caller.
If you don't like it, turn the sound down and look up the players numbers in Big League and watch the game like that.
Or do you need Rabby to tell you what's going on because you haven't got a clue ???:p

Bernster

Juniors
I could compare both Eddie and Phil (I wonder if they are really related to one another...lol)

Eddie (AFL) - Only cares about Collingwood and lives in VFL dreamland

Gus (NRL) - Only cares about the Roosters and lives in NSWRL dreamland

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Gould is one of the planets biggest tools.

He may be insightful and experienced but that is lost when he uses the coverage as his own personal soap box to get his own opinions across. His constant reference to his time at the roosters and blatant bias to that side makes me sick. He should take some broadcast tips off Laurie Daley who if anything is harsher on his former team.

The Preacher

First Grade
Walt Flanigan said:
Gould is one of the planets biggest tools.

He may be insightful and experienced but that is lost when he uses the coverage as his own personal soap box to get his own opinions across. His constant reference to his time at the roosters and blatant bias to that side makes me sick. He should take some broadcast tips off Laurie Daley who if anything is harsher on his former team.

I think you should change your name to Walt Disney, you are in some sort of Fantasyland, you Galloot.#-o

The Preacher

First Grade
Give me a couple more minutes twodicks and I reckon I'll think of a real knee-girl about you and masterbation. :)