What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Johns offers $1m to play who scores 5 tries in GF

philstorm

Juniors
Just on The Today Show.

Obviously he knows there's no chance of it happening and it's just a cheap publicity stunt, but i'd laugh so hard if someone did it and he was forced to pay up.

philstorm

Juniors
He's done the same thing with the AFL Grand Final (if a player kicks 10 goals).

Would come under the cap or is it more 'prizemoney'?

eels_fan_01

Bench
Its pretty crazy but if one team gets over the top of another, who knows? Maybe say Inglis will have scored 4 and if they are winning by 40 someone hands it to him to get the 1 mil.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Serious, teams could rig that.

If the club wanted the 1 million as part of its own kitty, guys who are good at backing up, say Stewart or Slater will just call out every single try opportunity.

t-ba

Post Whore
Skinner said:
Be keen to see how any club would fit that under the cap......

Players can seek third party offers with companies that aren't linked to their club without the assistance of their club, and it won't come under the cap.

if the game is a blow-out the 34 players should come to an agreement to allow a player on the winning team to score 5 tries...1mil 34ways is just under 30k each

innsaneink

Referee
Collingwood Storm said:
if the game is a blow-out the 34 players should come to an agreement to allow a player on the winning team to score 5 tries...1mil 34ways is just under 30k each

Two teams came to an agreement in '09...one reneged and got a premiership. :lol:

great if a player does score 5 tries and takes the money his club is automatically disqualified due to breaching the salary cap and are stripped of the premiership. Of course the runner up cannot be awarded the premiership either so in 2007 there would be no premiers.

fitting i feel as the season has been the worst as has the final series.

come on some one score 5 tries

Inferno

Coach
t-ba said:
Players can seek third party offers with companies that aren't linked to their club without the assistance of their club, and it won't come under the cap.
But isn't crazy John a Manly Sponsor?

Stormboyz

Juniors
Crazy John is an attention whore who says a lot but does little when it comes to sport. he has constantly sprouted off about joing the Richmond board in the AFL, but never puts his money where his mouth is.
Just another Crazy John idea of grabbing some free publicity because everyone knows tha nobody will score five tries in the NRL or kick 10 goals in the AFL.

Von

Juniors
Yeh just another cheap publicity from Crazy John!. This is the same bloke who took Crazy Ron to court and forced him to change his name to "Mad Ron", even though Crazy Ron existed on the Gold Coast BEFORE Crazy John!! It would be funny though if someone did score five!!

Only person to do it in a semi final is Francis "Frano" Meli for the Warriors.

Cheers,
"Crazy Von"
:)

shouldnt he offer $1 mill to a charity rather then players who will earn millions through out their careers? I think it would be a better way to promote his business.

I hope some1 does score 5 tries and sum1 does kick 10 goals jsut so he is 2 mil down

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
When was the last 5 try effort in a match?

After tax, the $1m wouldn't be worth anywhere near as much. Most players would be on the highest bracket before that even kicked in.

Lego_Man

First Grade
LOL at the tards who think this would come under the salary cap. If i walked up to menzies and gave him a 20, would that come under the cap. Anyway, itd be great if it did happen. Also it would probably be deemed a "gift" so normal tax rules would not apply.

Munky

Coach
Lego_Man said:
Also it would probably be deemed a "gift" so normal tax rules would not apply.

Does it count as a gift if you have met criteria to earn it?

I thought man of the match awards were declared to be ordinary income even if from a third party, this would be pretty similar. The player would be using their skills for commercial advantage.

Can't remember which case set the precedent. EDIT: Kelly's case

Here is the ATOs view on such payments http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?Docid=TXR/TR199917/NAT/ATO/00001