What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating the Next Gen of Supporters

Joel-22

Juniors
Hey guys, really sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. However, the 2023 season, combined with me finally having the financial means, and the age of my niece (11) and nephew (8) I’ve decided to buy a platinum family membership for Christmas for them. My question is broad. They know next to nothing about rugby league and the knights at this stage, they’ve started mentioning Kalyn Ponga and Dom Young from the buzz at school in Newcastle. They’re both very bright kids though and fairly excitable. So…

What advice do you have for increasing the likelihood that they enjoy the game day experience? I’m very close with them, and this is something that I want to share with them until they’re both adults

Joel-22

Juniors
Just a little more context, I’ve been on dialysis for last couple of years and the year before was very sick, too sick to go to a game. I received a kidney this year and was advised by my healthcare team to wait until next season to go to a game. So it’s been a while since I myself have been to a home game, so assume I know nothing about game day at the knights stadium

Woody90

Juniors
Hey mate, sorry to hear you’ve been unwell but great you can get back to games.

Just off the top of my head: if you’ve got a niece and the kids have the attention span, maybe try and go in a bit earlier on double header days so they can also watch the NRLW. Last time I went to a game there were tonnes of girls wearing the NRLW jersey.

Also share highlight reels with them of the boys best tries, KP highlights etc. That way they’ll be a bit more familiar with the players and the game before attending live which will increase their excitement before going etc.

Hopefully the boys can keep improving next year to keep the buzz up with the kids. Good to hear they’re talking about the Knights at school. Most are into the EPL these days which is understandable with how the team has gone over the past decade.

Burwood

Bench
Going back 30 years ago I’d have a round of putt putt, play a game of squash or maybe do a few laps of the roller rink while my dad got in early to watch the lower grades and get a good spot on the hill. Pretty sure all that stuff is gone now :(

I live out of the area now so lucky to get to 1 game each year, but from memory you can tag the club in an Instagram pic of you and the kids at the game and it gets put up on the big screen before kickoff- the kids might enjoy that.

Try getting them to some lower grade games first. NSWCup seem to play a fair few games away from MJS when the NRL side isnt in town.

When my kids were 2-3yo I took them to Qld Cup games to get them interested and the bonus was it didnt break the bank. They could get out and kick the footy at half time and fulltime etc which with young kids is a bonus ie getting them moving and not having to sit still

Knight Tales

Bench
It is a great thing you are doing. They will work it out on their own by watching your enthusiasm for the game and the club. The bond with you and the club is what they will take from it.

Just a little more context, I’ve been on dialysis for last couple of years and the year before was very sick, too sick to go to a game. I received a kidney this year and was advised by my healthcare team to wait until next season to go to a game. So it’s been a while since I myself have been to a home game, so assume I know nothing about game day at the knights stadium

Great work mate. Stay well.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
Get them a jersey, and get there with time to enjoy the fan zone out the front when you get there.

Also, take lollies and ipads in case attention span doesn't last as long as yours.

Glad to hear you are on the mend mate.

Joel-22

Juniors
Thanks so much for all the kind words, I wasn’t expecting that to be honest and it really was nice to read. I’m looking forward to putting it all behind me and introducing my niece and nephew to the greatest club competing in the greatest game in the world! Thanks for all the advice and tips too!