What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket: Broadcasters demand changes to save BBL

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...l/news-story/0c62f4077cdc90e11dae781eff003cdd

Cricket: Broadcasters demand changes to save BBL

• By Ben Horne
  • 12:00AM January 29, 2019
Broadcasters have demanded Cricket Australia take urgent steps to arrest the declining standards of the Big Bash League.

There are still three weeks remaining of the inaugural 59-game season but already robust discussions have been instigated behind the scenes by Fox Cricket and Seven, who are growing increasingly agitated about their $175 million-a-year investment.

It’s understood the TV rights holders are not arguing to reduce the number of games, but are lobbying for other dramatic changes they believe necessary to save the extended seven-week competition from withering on the vine over the course of their six-year deal.

There’s a belief that the lack of resources for the BBL to even compete for A-list international names such as AB de Villiers and Andre Russell has led to a talent and star-power crisis for many teams forced to top up their rosters with club cricketers. Fox and Seven believe a season running as long as the Indian Premier League can work, but only if other critical measures are taken to support the move to an elongated schedule.

Broadcasters are asking for:

• A major increase to the current $1.7m salary cap to bring back international stars;

• A boost in the number of international marquee spots from two per side to as many as four;

• A crackdown on the dire state of pitches being used around the country that has ruined the spectacle at many grounds, with fewer sixes and lower scores;

• Amendments to the schedule to help bring back crowds.

On Sunday night, the Seven Network promoted on their Twitter feed comments from Brisbane Heat star Chris Lynn arguing that the season is too long:

“I think 14 games (per side) is too many … that’s just the vibe I’m getting,” Lynn said.

Lynn’s comments might not have accurately reflected the network’s view, but the post — and the reaction to it — encapsulated the widespread angst behind the scenes from broadcasters, players, coaches and fans alike who feel the competition has gone backwards.

Television ratings for the Big Bash this summer are exceeding both Fox and Seven’s expectations, but both rights holders fear for long-term sustainability unless immediate changes are made by CA at the end of this BBL season.

Broadcasters feel the chances of a 59-game season succeeding have been badly compromised by such a negligible increase to the salary cap — and want to see the mega dollars they have laid out for rights better invested in the BBL.

Under the MOU, the salary cap is only increasing by about $75,000 per year, grossly inadequate according to the networks who have despaired as the likes of de Villiers, Russell, Chris Gayle and Jason Roy — not to mention David Warner and Steve Smith — have featured instead in the Bangladesh Premier League, which offers more money for less work.

The few stars that have signed up for this BBL have in many cases required a large slice of the cap and left teams to fill out their rosters with club cricketers. This has led to criticism of the poor standard of fielding and batting.

Broadcasters don’t believe two internationals on each roster is enough and are demanding more overseas signings, but CA could potentially face opposition from the Australian Cricketers Association if there are fewer jobs for homegrown players.

There is a belief CA will listen to the growing discontent. CA chief executive Kevin Roberts has acknowledged pitches in the first half of the BBL were unacceptable, and isn’t shying away from making scheduling tweaks, but he has flagged the prospect that a BBL salary cap increase could take money away from Sheffield Shield players.

“(The salary cap) is certainly something we’ll keep an eye on over time,” Roberts said on SEN.

“We need to be competitive in terms of player payments and make sure we really cement the position of the BBL in the top two domestic T20 leagues in the world.

“If you’re paying players more for one format you need to reduce pay in another format typically.”

The Fox Cricket channel has accounted for 99 of the top 100 programs on Foxtel over summer and 5.7 per cent of all TV viewing across free-to-air and subscription services. This gives Fox a high-rating sport outside the winter football codes and motor racing.

An average 327,000 viewers tuned in to one-day internationals on Foxtel with 218,000 for BBL matches and 247,000 for Tests simulcast with Seven.

Timbo

Staff member
Chris Lynn's comments that there are too many games and the players are getting tired... geez, there aren't too many professional sports leagues in the world with only a 14 game season, let alone a low-impact, non-contact sport. Lynn doesn't even play the 4-day stuff anymore.

The number of games is fixed due to the broadcast deal, but I would like to see more double and triple headers on Friday/Saturday/Sunday to compress the length of the tournament.

I also agree that there should be an extra marquee spot to raise the talent level. But I think CA has to have a long, hard look at who they allow to be signed as a 'marquee' player. Who is buying a ticket to watch Liam Plunkett or Mujeeb-ur-Rahman? The marquee slots should not be slightly above average players, they should be genuine drawcards who bring the fans in. Raising the cap should definitely be part of this.

Finally, all eight clubs should have to adopt a second home and play their home matches in a 5/2 split. It's good to see the Thunder, Hurricanes, Heat and Renegades already doing this - but clubs playing all of their home games at 45k+ stadiums is just silly. Even with the season they're having exceeding anyone's wildest expectations, the Sixers are battling to regularly fill the SCG.

gUt

Coach
Interesting comment about the state of pitches.

Channel 10 would be giggling

bazza

Immortal
I also agree that there should be an extra marquee spot to raise the talent level. But I think CA has to have a long, hard look at who they allow to be signed as a 'marquee' player. Who is buying a ticket to watch Liam Plunkett or Mujeeb-ur-Rahman? The marquee slots should not be slightly above average players, they should be genuine drawcards who bring the fans in. Raising the cap should definitely be part of this.
yes - some very low profile imports
Would probably get more interest if there wasn't tests/ODI being played at the same time and some of the Australian team regulars featured

They need to bring in Canberra.

Everyone plays 8 games and alternate the H&A status each season.

It's too long. Kids go back to school tomorrow. Should start week before Xmas and conclude on Australia Day.

Agree with imports too.

Valheru

Coach
The number of games is fixed due to the broadcast deal, but I would like to see more double and triple headers on Friday/Saturday/Sunday to compress the length of the tournament.

Definitely this

The competition really should have finished yesterday with school back this week.

As you say the number of games won't change but viewer fatigue is real and there is no reason IMO why every game should have an exclusive slot. How much interest does Adelaide V Perth get on the east coast for example, no reason why it can't be played at the same time on a Friday night as Brisbane V Thunder with each market getting one of the 2 games and fox simulcasting both. This obsession with exclusive slots in Australian sport is bizarre and I can't think of any other major competition in the world that does it.

TV double headers on weekend days are also a good idea.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
What you've got is a domestic comp with a few moth bitten imports thrown in (Rashid Khan being the exception). A lot of the players aren't even state cricketers, their grade players.

T20 doesn't allow much chance of twists and turns in a game or comebacks as it is too short a format (despite the commentators telling us every ball is a game changer).

There's also only so much innovation you can do. The ramp, reverse sweep stuff loses its effectiveness once a bowler sees it. Same with Knuckle balls and slow bouncers.

What you're left with is sloggers trying to hit slower balls or fast spin all game.

Not very exciting, except for when the Admiral plays

Timbo

Staff member
Definitely this

The competition really should have finished yesterday with school back this week.

As you say the number of games won't change but viewer fatigue is real and there is no reason IMO why every game should have an exclusive slot. How much interest does Adelaide V Perth get on the east coast for example, no reason why it can't be played at the same time on a Friday night as Brisbane V Thunder with each market getting one of the 2 games and fox simulcasting both. This obsession with exclusive slots in Australian sport is bizarre and I can't think of any other major competition in the world that does it.

TV double headers on weekend days are also a good idea.

Even just common sense scheduling - five of Perth’s seven home games have been 4.30 WST starts. Why? For the East Coast TV market at 7.30pm.

Why aren’t all of Perth’s games game two of a double header starting at 9.30pm on the East Coast?

Why aren’t there 1pm games every Saturday and Sunday? If you’re worried about crowds, that’s when you play the games in places like Ballarat or Newcastle that don’t see professional cricket otherwise.

Why in the name of crikey f**k was there a game that started at 3.30pm last Wednesday in Moe when it could’ve been 1pm on a Saturday or Sunday?

The same number of matches could’ve been scheduled in two- three fewer weeks with almost every game keeping its own timeslot if they’d just sat down and considered the scheduling properly.

franklin2323

Immortal
Every year has had plodders. Maybe exempt the imports from the cap that way you can atleast have quality somewhere. No Aust players is the main issue

Timbo

Staff member
A window could be useful?

No Australian matches between the Sydney test and February? Gives the teams a bit of star power?

jargan83

Coach
Scheduling is a massive issue, who wants to be leaving a venue at 9:30/9:45 at night, I'm lucky and live 20 minutes away from Optus Stadium.

Player availability is also an issue and thats because Cricket Australia want's to have it's cake and eat it too by running the BBL while Test and ODI Cricket is still going. I don't think just opening up and extra marquee slot or two will fix it, look at some of the plodding imports that are in place this year.

Competition length is ridiculous, I was talking BBL fatigue last year with my mates (seems to be a common theme as well) when it was only a 10 game season yet CA in their infinite wisdom go and make the competition longer. I think I've watched 1 or 2 full games on TV this year where as in previous years I'd sit through plenty of games, the standard has dropped massively this season.

Even just common sense scheduling - five of Perth’s seven home games have been 4.30 WST starts. Why? For the East Coast TV market at 7.30pm.

Why aren’t all of Perth’s games game two of a double header starting at 9.30pm on the East Coast

Have they? I'm a WACA member and I can only remember one early start (4:15pm) and that was the boxing day fixture.

I assume the Perth timezone has been used either as the final of a double header or after play in a Test or ODI has finished. Only 21k at Optus Stadium last night, granted school doesn't go back for another week over here but a lot of parents have probably been at work for a fortnight.

Problem with being the last leg is the start time is commonly pushed back for whatever is scheduled before it. Again it probably doesn't affect me as I don't have kids but when you have games finishing at 10pm because it started late and now T20 suffers from players dragging their heels to slow down games (I assume that 6 run per over penalty for running over the 890 minutes must have died) how long before families get the shits with it?

Scorchers last home game is at 6:15 next Sunday with school back on Monday. Bet it won't draw much past last night game.

Bazal

Post Whore
CA could potentially face opposition from the Australian Cricketers Association if there are fewer jobs for homegrown players.

Well if that's the case perhaps ACA should also be advocating for the state contracted players who miss out on BBL spots for grade cricketers like Liam O'Connor and Avendano...

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
• A crackdown on the dire state of pitches being used around the country that has ruined the spectacle at many grounds
Whore your cricket ground out to VFL and reap what you sow.

Make the scabs buy their own ground.

It is killing the game right in front of you CA.

_snafu_

Immortal
I agree with the observations regarding marquee players, some of the overseas players are not so much.

It’s like asking an Eels supporter to pay a premium to watch a Tim Mannah hit up or a Raiders supporter to watch a BJ Leilua brain fart.

Eelectrica

Referee
I know I'm over it. Haven't watched a full game for a little while. I've caught an innings here and there.
Hard to maintain interest. The comp isn't that close.
They need to shorten the time the comp runs at least, more double headers, things like that.

Not surprised ratings are plummeting. The TV guys wouldn't be upset if it was rating well.