What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Interesting playing condition I never knew - if you lose a day's play the follow on target drops from 200 to 150.

Ireland were 4 for 7 at one stage. A draw is what they'll be hoping for here.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Mark Cosgrove a polished 70 from 49 balls

Remember Voges killed it at county cricket for a few years, one of the reasons he was picked for Australia with a view for the ashes 2015. Come ashes he looked like a lost chook and failed miserably in the live tests.

I think poms losing Anderson/Broad in the near future will hurt them a lot on home soil

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Ya wot?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...0/news-story/199cde86361ef1d9c8702ae8351418cb

IF YOU thought Roaming Brian was innovative, wait until you see Roaming Nasser.

Channel 7 AFL commentator Brian Taylor has been responsible for some of footy’s most entertaining — and awkward — moments when he ventures into the winnings team’s changeroom post-match armed with a camera and a microphone and goes rogue.

But former England cricket captain Nasser Hussain has him covered — actually going onto the field during play in his role as a commentator for Sky Sports in Britain.

The West Indies were playing a Rest of the World XI at Lord’s on Friday (AEST) in a Hurricane Relief T20 Challenge for charity. The clash was put on to raise money to repair five cricket grounds in the Caribbean that were damaged by Hurricanes Irma and Maria late last year.

Although it was for charity, the match was still granted full international status. That means any runs scored or wickets taken will be included in players’ stats for their international careers.

That’s why cricket lovers weren’t altogether impressed with Hussain taking his place at first slip for the World XI with a microphone in his hand and a GoPro camera on his head.

Although some appreciated the sentiment, they argued the match shouldn’t be given international status if the match wasn’t going to be taken seriously.

Evin Lewis’s quickfire fifty and economical bowling from spinner Samuel Badree led the West Indies to an emphatic 72-run victory over the World XI.

Lewis struck 58 off 26 balls, including five sixes and as many fours in a West Indies’ total of 4/199 with Marlon Samuels contributing 43 and Denesh Ramdin 44 not out.

Badree then took two wickets in his first two overs before finishing with figures of 2/4 as the West Indies proved too strong.

Sri Lanka’s Thisara Perera made a fine half century, his 61 coming off 37 balls but the World XI never had any chance of winning this match after slumping to 4/8.

But he was the only World XI player to score more than 12.

And, with Tymal Mills unable to bat, the World XI were all out nine wickets down when Mitchell McClenaghan was dismissed with the team on a total of 127.

Kesrick Williams took 3/42 and Andre Russell 2/24.

World XI skipper captain Shahid Afridi donated $20,000 to Hurricane relief from his foundation, while all the players donated their match fees to the charity.

Afridi, who retired from mainstream international cricket two years ago, received a guard of honour at Lord’s.

“That’s something I’ll never forget,” said the big-hitting former Pakistan all-rounder. “For that to happen at the home of cricket, it’s massive.

“The cause was everything tonight, and to have been able to help, it’s fantastic.

“Thanks to everyone who came out and supported this.”

West Indies captain Carlos Brathwaite said: “For those affected by the hurricanes, there have been people left homeless, and have had their lives devastated.

“So it’s important for those of us who can to be able to use our profile for the greater good.

“Hopefully there will be a psychological boost for the communities, as well as obviously the money going into rebuilding, and infrastructure and all those kinds of things.”

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Just for the hell of it:
Teams that wear green caps in test cricket:
Australia
Bangladesh
Pakistan
South Africa
Zimbabwe

Blue caps:
England
India
Sri Lanka

NZ: black, WI: Maroon.

Both Ireland and Afghanistan wear blue caps when playing at the tier 2 level and I expect they will at test level although Ireland may go green as well.
So Ireland joined the green brigade.

Afghanistan with red caps.

Timbo

Staff member

undertaker

Coach
Bangladesh bowled out for 43 off 18.4 overs against the West Indies, 8th shortest test innings (number of balls faced), their lowest innings and equal 10th all-time lowest innings in test history.

Only bad weather will stop this test lasting beyond day 2.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I watched all their dismissals, zero footwork by any batsman and nearly all of them were ct behind. It was pretty good line and length bowling by the Windies but you can tell a lot of these guys are raised on limited overs cricket.

No one got forward to cover any movement or leave the wide balls and every thing was played from the crease. Terrible techniques.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I watched all their dismissals, zero footwork by any batsman and nearly all of them were ct behind. It was pretty good line and length bowling by the Windies but you can tell a lot of these guys are raised on limited overs cricket.

No one got forward to cover any movement or leave the wide balls and every thing was played from the crease. Terrible techniques.
Welcome to International cricket in 2018.

undertaker

Coach

The one main common denominator between this Bangladesh innings and when Australia got skittled for 60 at Trent Bridge in 2015: the Dukes cricket ball.

Watching those Bangladesh dismissals was almost a carbon-copy of the Aussie batsmens' dismissals in the 1st innings of the Edgbaston and Trent Bridge tests of that 2015 Ashes, and very symptomatic of most batsmen in international cricket today: they look like world beaters on flat tracks with the Kookaburra ball (in both red and white-ball cricket), but when the ball offers good seam/swing movement, they have absolutely no idea what to do. Also, the proliferation of T20 cricket hasn't helped batting techniques in test matches, evident by the number of sub-100 scores Australia has dished up over the past decade.

Dukes has definitely been beneficial for the Windies bowlers, most notably Shannon Gabriel. Got good movement in the air and off the pitch in the recent series vs Sri Lanka.

JJ

Immortal
Yep - the Duke is a better ball I reckon, but modern techniques can be exposed horribly (but I smile on the inside) especially when conditions add a little

The Kookaburra is a piece of shit, and combined with flat wickets too many flog-athons

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It's not just techniques that are suffering because of T20.

When you continuously play matches that mean f**k all you get used to not caring about your performance.

That said, Bangladesh may have been horrible but over the last year or so the Windies have really showed some grit and pride in their test cap.

Jason Holder and Stuart Law should be commended.

undertaker

Coach
Yep - the Duke is a better ball I reckon, but modern techniques can be exposed horribly (but I smile on the inside) especially when conditions add a little

Batsmen at the highest level have to adapt to different conditions. They've had it good for way too long, and nowdays the minute something doesn't go their way, they jump up and down in the media. The ability to dominate in various conditions is what separates legends from pretenders

Legends such as Steve Waugh have proved it's not impossible to score centuries off the Dukes balls in seam/swing bowler-friendly conditions such as Old Trafford in 1997 with a proper technique; something the likes of David Warner could only dream of having.

If there's one country where I can't believe Dukes haven't been introduced, it would be New Zealand. Why the NZC continued to persist with Kookaburra for three more years is a mystery:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...p-using-kookaburra-balls-for-next-three-years

Boult and Southee would be lethal with Dukes.

The Kookaburra is a piece of shit, and combined with flat wickets too many flog-athons

100% agree with you.

Reactions: JJ