What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The only value I can see in this is for carnival days/weekends of cricket, which I can see a place for.

Utterly pointless as a competition.

I agree, I've played in a heap of them. The whole thing is over in less than 2 days and its generally an away trip too, much drinking on the Sat nite so hangovers are compulsory for Sundays

its the only thing this type of game could possibly be good for

TheParraboy

Staff member
Not looking good for Benny boy

www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24312146/ben-stokes-fight-football-hooligans-court-told

The fight outside a Bristol nightclub involving a group of men including Ben Stokes and Alex Hales, which led to Stokes' arrest, was described as being like "football hooligans", a court has been told.

Stokes, who is standing trial for affray alongside Ryan Ali and Ryan Hale at Bristol Crown Court, was also described as "bullying" a young, gay couple while his England team-mate Hales - who has not been charged with any offence - was accused by a police officer of kicking a man in the head.

Max Wilson, who was a student in the Clifton Triangle area of the city when the incident occurred, described a group of "clearly drunk" men acting aggressively towards one another in the early hours of September 25. Wilson, who filmed part of the incident from his bedroom on an upper floor of a building in the area - footage which was later acquired and published by The Sun - confirmed that he had described the men's behaviour as "like football hooligans" in a police statement and is heard to gasp "F***!" in the footage after Stokes punches Hale.

"It was just such a fierce punch," Wilson said. "It just took me by surprise. I felt a bit sorry for the guy who got punched. It looked like he had his hands up."

Wilson's footage - shown to the jury several times over the first couple of days of the trial - also showed, according to PC Daniel Adams, the officer in the case, Hales kicking Ali in the head as he lay on the pavement.

Asked by Stephen Mooney QC, acting on behalf of Hale, whether it would be fair to describe CCTV footage as showing him "kicking a man in the head," PC Adams replied: "That's what it looks like, yes. He's definitely used his feet on three occasions."

Hales was questioned under caution after the incident but not arrested. He is not on trial. Audio from the footage suggests he tried to pull Stokes away from the fray on several occasions - he is repeatedly heard shouting "Stop, Stokes! No! Enough!" - with both Wilson and other witnesses agreeing he was "trying to stop him [Stokes]."

"Mr Hales is pulling Mr Stokes back by his t-shirt," PC Adams stated as he commented on footage for the benefit of the jury.

Under cross-examination Wilson confirmed he did not think Hales or Stokes had initiated the violence by shoving "another person" but conceded he could not be certain.

Much of the second day of the trial was occupied by evidence provided by Andrew Cunningham, a 37-year-old door supervisor at the Mbargo nightclub in the city. Having first accused Stokes of abusing him and mocking two gay men, William O'Connor and Kai Barry, he went on to suggest the England cricketer had been bullying the pair.

In particular, he disagreed with Stokes' defence barrister, Gordon Cole QC, who suggested CCTV footage from outside the Mbargo nightclub showed Stokes engaged in "joking banter" with Barry and O'Connor. And, under cross-examination, it was suggested that Stokes was so enraged by his interaction with Cunningham that he left the area around the nightclub and headed up the road - where the violent incidents occurred - in an angry and frustrated mood.

"He was trying to provoke them," Cunningham said. "They [Stokes and Hales] were laughing at them, not with them.

"I didn't like the fact he [Stokes] flicked a cigarette butt [at O'Connor]. These two guys [Barry and O'Connor] are harmless guys. Not aggressive.

"That's when I stepped in, because they hadn't done anything wrong. They're only little guys. I said 'If you want to start on anyone, start on me.'

"He wouldn't look at me or acknowledge I was there then."

With Cunningham suggesting that Stokes "didn't seem drunk," Hale's representative in the trial, Mr Mooney, said Stokes' behaviour "can't be put down to that." Instead, Mooney alleged, Stokes finally left the area around the nightclub, feeling angry and frustrated.

"Was it bullying?" Mooney asked.

"Yes," Cunningham replied.

"It wasn't drunkenness," Mooney continued. "Just unpleasantness and aggressiveness.

TheParraboy

Staff member
www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24309167/ben-stokes-acted-spiteful-angry-tone-court-told

Ben Stokes has been described as "mocking" a gay couple and speaking with "a spiteful" and "angry tone" by a witness in his trial in Bristol.

Andrew Cunningham, a 37-year-old door supervisor at the Mbargo nightclub in the city, alleged that Stokes abused him and a gay couple having been refused entry to the club in the early hours of the morning on September 25 on the second day of Stokes' trial for affray. Ryan Ali and Ryan Hale are facing the same charges.

The jury was also shown CCTV footage that both Cunningham, the head doorman at the club, and PC Daniel Adams, the officer in the case, suggest shows Stokes flicking a cigarette butt at the head of one the gay men, William O'Connor.

"He got a bit verbally abusive to myself," Cunningham said. "First he mentioned my teeth. I have four front gold teeth. He told me I looked like a c***. I replied 'thanks very much.'

"Then he mentioned my tattoos and how shit they all are. He just looked at me and said my tattoos were shit and to look at my job. [He had] Quite a spiteful tone; quite an angry tone."

Cunningham then went on to describe how "the ginger guy… started to take the mick out of the gay couple."

"They're quite extravagant people," Cunningham said of O'Connor and his friend Kai Barry. "Their mannerisms are not like everybody else's.

"The ginger guy picked up on this and started to take the mick. He changed his voice to talk like them. He started to mimic their actions. He just made noises to sound like them. He made hand gestures. If you hear them speak, they're quite high-pitched guys. Quite effeminate guys. He made noises to try and copy them. Just making stupid sounds.

"They just stood to the side. I don't think they were impressed but they didn't say anything.

"When he flicked the cigarette I intervened. It didn't hit anyone. But it was aimed in their direction. That's when I stepped in, cos they hadn't done anything wrong. They're only little guys. I said 'If you want to start on someone, start on me.'

"He wouldn't look at me or acknowledge I was there then."

Under cross-examination, Gordon Cole QC, representing Stokes, pointed out what he suggested were various inconsistencies with Cunningham's evidence. It appears Cunningham or his colleagues did let in other visitors to the nightclub after 2am (CCTV footage shows O'Connor entering the club at 2.07am) while his claim that he had never seen the footage before conflicted with a statement given to the police on November 23 in which he said he had been shown it.

PC Adams, the officer in the case, also admitted, under cross-examination, that "there may be another explanation" for the purported v-sign allegedly directed at the doormen and accepted that, "on the whole" Stokes' interaction with the gay couple "seems light-hearted" and that "there is laughter" in the six or so minutes they are shown interacting with Stokes outside the club.

The case continues.

Eelectrica

Referee
If the legal system doesn't put stokes away for a while, the ECB need to give him a minimum 12 month suspension if found guilty.

Legal system could fine him and give him community service I guess if guilty.
If so a cricket suspension would be on order so he can focus on his community service duties.

Timbo

Staff member
But, no, the blokes using sandpaper at the real criminals.

He should be rubbed out, but England are so non-competitive without him they'll find a way to let it slide. They're still trying to squeeze him in to the second test team ffs.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Could be worse, he could be David Warner...

I can see all the do gooders swarming this thread if Warner was in Stokes shoes at the moment

If Warner gave himself a big uppercut there would be an outcry..

JJ

Immortal
You can take the boy out of Canterbury but you can't take Canturbury out of the boy

Still the case is ongoing, innocent until proven guilty and all... Jusice system first then ECB can determine what if anything they do

Bazal

Post Whore
Anyone watching the CPL this morning?

Andre Russell has just produced one the greatest (domestic-it is different level) limited overs hundreds of all time IMO. Came in at 5/41 (why is he at 7???) chasing 224 to win, got them home with 3 balls to spare with an absolutely brutal 121* off 49 balls. Hit 13 sixes.

Got a hat trick in the final over of the first innings to...

TheParraboy

Staff member
Anyone watching the CPL this morning?

Andre Russell has just produced one the greatest (domestic-it is different level) limited overs hundreds of all time IMO. Came in at 5/41 (why is he at 7???) chasing 224 to win, got them home with 3 balls to spare with an absolutely brutal 121* off 49 balls. Hit 13 sixes.

Got a hat trick in the final over of the first innings to...

That is insane

I watched a bit of it in another match, Gayle was batting and plodding along, 23 off 25 balls or something like that, almost fell asleep. Saw that he ended up with 85 from 65

ANTiLAG

First Grade
18 6s in 49 balls, wow
13 6's. But it was one of the greatest chasing hundreds. He absolutely smashed Narine and Bravo. And just kept going. Was truly a rare and wonderful innings. He was dropped first ball by F Ahmed I think, and cashed in big.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
You can take the boy out of Canterbury but you can't take Canturbury out of the boy

Still the case is ongoing, innocent until proven guilty and all... Jusice system first then ECB can determine what if anything they do

Not guilty. Apologise to Canterbury ;)

Latest posts