What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

Mr Spock!

Referee
Hey is it possible to bowl a ball which takes off and goes for 6 byes without batsmen running? eg straight over keepers head and over the rope on the full.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Not too many people, if any, could bowl a ball that would need to travel 65 metres plus the pitch, another 20 metres, on the full.

I'm not sure, if under the rules, that that would be deemed 6 byes as I dont think there is a rule that covers such a scenario.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Not too many people, if any, could bowl a ball that would need to travel 65 metres plus the pitch, another 20 metres, on the full.

I'm not sure, if under the rules, that that would be deemed 6 byes as I dont think there is a rule that covers such a scenario.
Some west indies grounds.

I'm sure Thommo bowled a ball which hit the fence on the full.

Mr Spock!

Referee
So in South Africa the umpires have changed their minds over a no ball because it would mean Archer would be banned for the innings.

Wtf!

TheParraboy

Staff member
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...censed-jofra-archer-escapes-beamer-suspension

South Africa incensed as Jofra Archer escapes beamer suspension

Vernon Philander has called on the umpires to "stand your ground" and withdraw Jofra Archer from the attack in the first Test in Centurion.

Archer, the England fast bowler, appeared to be called for a second no-ball by the square-leg umpire Paul Reiffel after ending his day with a pair of beamers. While there is no doubt both deliveries were unintentional - replays suggested Archer had attempted to bowl two successive knuckle-balls - clause 41.7 of the ICC's Test playing conditions dictate that any bowler who has delivered two such balls should be suspended from bowling for the rest of the innings.

But the umpires also appeared to rescind the no-ball call on the basis that the second delivery was dipping towards the stumps and should be considered more of a full-toss than a beamer.

That left the South Africa camp incensed. The captain and coach, Faf du Plessis and Mark Boucher respectively, could both be seen seeking clarification from officials the moment play ended - the incident occurred in the penultimate over of the day - and Philander, the South Africa all-rounder, suggested the umpires should be "setting an example" in order to maintain standards in "the purest format" of the game.

"If you're at square-leg and you call no-ball you've got to stand your ground," Philander said. "At no time did they actually cancel it.

"For me it's plain and simple: we're playing a game and we're setting an example for the rest of the people coming into this game. You've got to make the right call.

"That's why it's called the purest format. Are we going to tolerate it at another game or are we going to put a stop to it right here? It's in the hands of the umpires."

Unsurprisingly, Joe Denly, the England batsman, saw the incident quite differently. While he accepted the first delivery was indeed a beamer, he insisted the second passed just over the stumps as the batsmen ducked and was nothing more than a full-toss.

"I was at leg slip and I wasn't expecting two beamers," Denly said. "The first one fair enough. The second one just missed the stumps.

"I saw the umpire put his arm out and I think he tucked it in quite quickly. They withdrew that second no-ball."

Denly's version of events - at least as regards the umpires' decision - would appear to be borne out by events. The final ball of Archer's over was not bowled again, as would have been necessary had it been ruled a no-ball, and at no point did the umpire at the bowler's end, Chris Gaffaney, make the no-ball signal.

Replays suggested such a call on the second delivery was very tight, despite the ball dipping towards the bails having passed the batsman on the full. Either way, Philander had little sympathy for Archer, suggesting he should not have attempted such a tough delivery to execute in such a situation.

"Don't try silly things that can cost you bowling another ball in the innings," Philander said. "The umpires have to make a call and hopefully it's the right one for the game looking forward."

ICC playing conditions on the issue state: "Any delivery, which passes or would have passed, without pitching, above waist height of the striker standing upright at the popping crease, is to be deemed to be unfair, whether or not it is likely to inflict physical injury on the striker. If the bowler bowls such a delivery the umpire shall immediately call and signal No ball.

"If, in the opinion of the umpire, such a delivery is considered likely to inflict physical injury on the batsman by its speed and direction, it shall be considered dangerous. When the ball is dead the umpire shall caution the bowler, indicating that this is a first and final warning.

"Should there be any further instance (where a dangerous non-pitching delivery is bowled and is considered likely to inflict physical injury on the batsman) by the same bowler in that innings, the umpire shall: call and signal no-ball [and] direct the captain of the fielding side to suspend the bowler immediately from bowling. The bowler thus suspended shall not be allowed to bowl again in that innings."

TheParraboy

Staff member
This is good to see

Crash on The Back page live just now, said there is plan within the next 2 weeks to have a bushfire relief cricket match, mixture of celebrities and cricketers

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
7e71154b57b1981aa5c6d005bb8bbd1d

Fox Sports cricket commentator and former England international Isa Guha is set to come out of retirement

TheParraboy

Staff member
Talk the charity match will same day and before the BBL Final on Sat 8/2 at MCG??

Are the assuming Stars will finish on top, or is it MCG whoever 2 are in the final??

JJ

Immortal
I see Jeff Thomson is auctioning off some memorabilia for the bushfires too...

Great stuff!

Let’s hope Warne’s cap money ALL actually makes it to the charity...

TheParraboy

Staff member
RUN OUT??

touch and go with ball coming loose from his hand, both hand and ball hitting the stumps

this is so tight, can go either way
1/4 millimetre in it

3rd ump having about 20 looks at it so far

Latest posts