What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

Red Bear

Referee
Series vs the Windies will be the final one for both Misbah and Younis Kahn. Pretty momentous couple of players. Shame the side faded so badly of late. Misbah has been a wonderful leader of a side post spot fixing, with no cricket in their homeland.

Younis would be one of the best bats in the last 20 years. Only just below that very top tier (punter, lara, tendulkar) and a fair argument for being the best from his country

JJ

Immortal
Younis is certainly one of the best from Pakistan, and Misbah one of their greatest captains

Barkley

Bench
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/suni...bill-brown-bradman-mcc-law-changes/2017-04-17

Indian legend backs MCC changes to the laws regarding run outs at the non-striker's end.

Former India captain Sunil Gavaskar has called for the term 'Mankad' to be removed from the game's terminology because it's disrespectful to the Indian legend after whom the practice is named.

'Mankading' refers to when a bowler runs out a batsman who has left their ground at the non-striker's end during the bowler's delivery stride.

The term was first coined in 1947 when great Indian allrounder Vinoo Mankad ran out Australia's Bill Brown at the non-striker's end during a Test match at the SCG.

It was the second time on the tour that Mankad had run out Brown at the bowler's end, despite numerous warnings from the Indian that Brown had moved out of his crease when backing up.

Mankad was heavily criticised in the Australian press at the time for an act that was deemed to be unsportsmanlike, although both Brown and Australia's captain Sir Donald Bradman defended Mankad's actions, which are within the laws of the game.

But the phrase 'Mankading' has been used ever since and Gavaskar has called on the practice to be re-named.

"I have grave objections to that because it's putting one of India's cricketing legends in a bad light," Gavaskar told Sony Max. "He has been one of India's all-time great cricketers.

"If it ... has to be referred by somebody's name, it should be (named after) the non-striker. Who, despite being warned twice by Mr Mankad ... he left (his crease). And the third time was when Mankad removed the bails and so suddenly there was an uproar created.

"I think it should be called (getting) 'Browned' because it was Bill Brown who was outside the crease. He was at fault, not Mr Mankad.

"Our legend's name should not be spoiled. If you want to call it anything, just say the batsman was 'Browned', not 'Mankaded'."

Gavaskar's comments come just a fortnight after the game's law-makers, the Marylebone Cricket Club, approved changes that will put more onus on the batsman to stay in his ground.

Despite being within the rules, the rare act of running out the bowler at the non-striker's end has long been considered unsportsmanlike and the bowler has generally been vilified whenever it's occurred.

An incident at the Under-19 World Cup last year was widely condemned, as was Sri Lanka's Sachithra Senanayake when he ran out England's Jos Buttler during a match in 2014.

The MCC has moved to eradicate such controversy by extending the point at which a bowler can attempt the run out and also changing the name of the law to "put the onus on the non-striker to remain in his/her ground".

"It is often the bowler who is criticised for attempting such a run out but it is the batsman who is attempting to gain an advantage," the MCC said of changes to Law 41.16, which is now called ‘Non striker leaving his/her ground early’ having previously been called 'Bowler attempting to run out non-striker before delivery'.

"The message to the non-striker is very clear – if you do not want to risk being run out, stay within your ground until the bowler has released the ball."

The MCC's changes are in line with the thoughts of Bradman about the Mankad incident.

Brown always took full responsibility for his famous dismissal, while Bradman was incredulous that the blame had been directed at the Indian player.

"For the life of me, I can't understand why (the press) questioned his sportsmanship," Bradman wrote in his autobiography Farewell to Cricket.

"The laws of cricket make it quite clear that the non-striker must keep within his ground until the ball has been delivered.

"If not, why is the provision there which enables the bowler to run him out? By backing up too far or too early, the non-striker is very obviously gaining an unfair advantage."

Gavaskar agrees that the batsman should be responsible for remaining in his or her crease and applauded the MCC for their recent changes.

"There's no debate as far as I'm concerned," he said.

"If the batsman is trying to take an unfair advantage by leaving the crease before the ball has been delivered, I think the bowler has every right to remove the bails. Even without warning him.

"The Laws are very, very clear and I think now that the MCC has come up with accepting that, I think a lot of people will start to understand that it's the batsman who is being unfair, not the bowler."

Barkley

Bench
So glad that Gavaskar is bringing these hard hitting issues to light.

But for some reason, getting "Browned" is a fitting name, because if you get out "Browned" you are clearly shite.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
No match thread (and probably doesn't need one) so I'll post it here,

Pakistan v West Indies 1st test day 1
WI 7/244 at stumps.

TheParraboy

Staff member
No match thread (and probably doesn't need one) so I'll post it here,

Pakistan v West Indies 1st test day 1
WI 7/244 at stumps.

stumps day 2
WI 9/278 (Amir 5/41)

outfield waterlogged

If you had to pick two nations to play test cricket in the middle of the IPL competition, these two would be it

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
nice to see the Windies get up over the Pakis, they seem to have some decent players coming through

hineyrulz

Post Whore
nice to see the Windies get up over the Pakis, they seem to have some decent players coming through
Makes a difference finally getting rid of lazy unperformers like Samuels, Ramdin and Fidel Edwards.

Holder is doing a good job with a young team.

undertaker

Coach

Saw a bit of the highlights from this test, and nice to see a test pitch offering a bit for the bowlers for once. Both pace and spin. Much better than the IPL crap that is going on. Even if it's played infront of a sub-1k crowd, give me a test series between two determined teams any day of the week. Pakistan and West Indies have produced some very good test series in the past (in the Caribbean, most notably 1988/1993/2000), and although the squads may not resemble the all-star line-ups from 20+ years ago, there's a lot of promising upcoming talent in both squads which sets the stage for an exciting decider at Rosseau next week. Be interesting to see how the pitch is, as it was a rank-turner when Australia played there two years ago (Adam Voges debut).

OT, took me a while to recognise the Barbados ground, as it looks very different compared to the 2007 World Cup; very tacky getting rid of all those grandstands on the Eastern side of the ground and replacing it with an industrial area where people are nonchalantly wandering around. Looks like a stadium that has been built right in the middle of Marrickville or Enmore.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/suni...bill-brown-bradman-mcc-law-changes/2017-04-17

Indian legend backs MCC changes to the laws regarding run outs at the non-striker's end.

Former India captain Sunil Gavaskar has called for the term 'Mankad' to be removed from the game's terminology because it's disrespectful to the Indian legend after whom the practice is named.

'Mankading' refers to when a bowler runs out a batsman who has left their ground at the non-striker's end during the bowler's delivery stride.

The term was first coined in 1947 when great Indian allrounder Vinoo Mankad ran out Australia's Bill Brown at the non-striker's end during a Test match at the SCG.

It was the second time on the tour that Mankad had run out Brown at the bowler's end, despite numerous warnings from the Indian that Brown had moved out of his crease when backing up.

Mankad was heavily criticised in the Australian press at the time for an act that was deemed to be unsportsmanlike, although both Brown and Australia's captain Sir Donald Bradman defended Mankad's actions, which are within the laws of the game.

But the phrase 'Mankading' has been used ever since and Gavaskar has called on the practice to be re-named.

"I have grave objections to that because it's putting one of India's cricketing legends in a bad light," Gavaskar told Sony Max. "He has been one of India's all-time great cricketers.

"If it ... has to be referred by somebody's name, it should be (named after) the non-striker. Who, despite being warned twice by Mr Mankad ... he left (his crease). And the third time was when Mankad removed the bails and so suddenly there was an uproar created.

"I think it should be called (getting) 'Browned' because it was Bill Brown who was outside the crease. He was at fault, not Mr Mankad.

"Our legend's name should not be spoiled. If you want to call it anything, just say the batsman was 'Browned', not 'Mankaded'."

Gavaskar's comments come just a fortnight after the game's law-makers, the Marylebone Cricket Club, approved changes that will put more onus on the batsman to stay in his ground.

Despite being within the rules, the rare act of running out the bowler at the non-striker's end has long been considered unsportsmanlike and the bowler has generally been vilified whenever it's occurred.

An incident at the Under-19 World Cup last year was widely condemned, as was Sri Lanka's Sachithra Senanayake when he ran out England's Jos Buttler during a match in 2014.

The MCC has moved to eradicate such controversy by extending the point at which a bowler can attempt the run out and also changing the name of the law to "put the onus on the non-striker to remain in his/her ground".

"It is often the bowler who is criticised for attempting such a run out but it is the batsman who is attempting to gain an advantage," the MCC said of changes to Law 41.16, which is now called ‘Non striker leaving his/her ground early’ having previously been called 'Bowler attempting to run out non-striker before delivery'.

"The message to the non-striker is very clear – if you do not want to risk being run out, stay within your ground until the bowler has released the ball."

The MCC's changes are in line with the thoughts of Bradman about the Mankad incident.

Brown always took full responsibility for his famous dismissal, while Bradman was incredulous that the blame had been directed at the Indian player.

"For the life of me, I can't understand why (the press) questioned his sportsmanship," Bradman wrote in his autobiography Farewell to Cricket.

"The laws of cricket make it quite clear that the non-striker must keep within his ground until the ball has been delivered.

"If not, why is the provision there which enables the bowler to run him out? By backing up too far or too early, the non-striker is very obviously gaining an unfair advantage."

Gavaskar agrees that the batsman should be responsible for remaining in his or her crease and applauded the MCC for their recent changes.

"There's no debate as far as I'm concerned," he said.

"If the batsman is trying to take an unfair advantage by leaving the crease before the ball has been delivered, I think the bowler has every right to remove the bails. Even without warning him.

"The Laws are very, very clear and I think now that the MCC has come up with accepting that, I think a lot of people will start to understand that it's the batsman who is being unfair, not the bowler."

As much as I don't like Gavaskar as a sour-grapes commentator, glad that someone in the higher echelons of the cricket world has the guts to call out this politically-correct "it's not in the spirit of the game" crap that constantly gets peddled in the media.

If it's one of the legal dismissals in cricket, are we then going to start saying that appealing for a stumping, hit wicket, handling the ball, obstructing the field also aren't in the spirit of the game if the batsmen needs to be warned in advance before you can appeal for those modes of dismissals? No way should be given a warning for leaving the crease early; if you get caught out of your ground, you're out, simple as that.

Timbo

Staff member
Ryan Carters retires from all professional cricket effective immediately.

Shame, I genuinely could have seen him kicking on and making the test team at some point.

Bazal

Post Whore
Ryan Carters retires from all professional cricket effective immediately.

Shame, I genuinely could have seen him kicking on and making the test team at some point.

I suppose he's 26 now, and he clearly has other talents and interests. He probably could have been a 28/29 year old debutant but he's obviously weighed it up and though it best to get a start on his post cricket career while he's still young. Good luck to him, he does a hell of a lot of great work outside cricket and hopefully this will help him in those endeavours. He seems a genuinely good quality human being.

Latest posts