What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket quiz

*Paul*

Juniors
Yep - I was trying to be sneaky but I realised afterwards - it's on my site. D'oh.
Interesting to note the top 4 are all English 80s-90s. The hand of Terry Alderman probably playing a part in that.

The Colonel

Immortal
OK OK..... gee.... impatient aren't we!!!! :roll:

OK Martin Crowe played for NZ - his career ran from 1982 -1995. What was significant about his innings from 22/2/84 -28/03/1993?

Doctor

Bench
Alternative question:

David Boon is batting with a runner. He is facing Curtley Ambrose on a wicket that is seaming around a bit, so he decides to bat outside his crease to the tall West Indian.

His runner, Michael Slater (who got out LBW to a well-pitched yorker just a few hours earlier) is standing a square leg ready and raring to run.

Why is Slats so keen and ready to run? Little Booney is on 99* and wants to get his single before the end of play, and while Booney didn't tell him to run at all costs, Slats is an intelligent fellow and wants to get Booney his century.

Tubby Taylor is at the bowler's end and having scored his own century, he knows how much this century means to Booney, but he also wants to keep his wicket because he has a feeling the pitch will be far more friendly to batsmen tommorrow.

The last ball of the day is bowled, with the pitch still playing tricks on the moustached maestro. He pushes forward, drives his bat with the line of the ball and manages to get it out into the covers. Booney, so keen to get his century, forgets about his dislocated ankle and trundles off down the wicket in a haste to make triple figures.

Poor Slats has no idea what to do, whether to run or whether to stay in his crease, so he does neither, instead wandering around a few metres out of the crease.

Tubby, in seeing that Booney is waddling his direction, and knowing the need to not make a man of Booney's height and fitness turn around, decides he better start running too.

Meanwhile, cover-fieldsman Richie Richardson, in seeing all that was taking place, grabs the ball in his right hand and throws it at the bowler's end, hoping to run Boon out. His throw is misdirected, but thankfully big Curtley is there and in an instant he whips the bails off in two quick motions. Alas, Boon has made his ground and begins waving his bat around in acknowledgment of the crowd who cheer at their hero. With the willow well and truly elevated, Boon makes sure he is well within the confines of his crease and continues to waddle around waving his bat.

Meanwhile, Curtley decides to have a crack at running out Tubby Taylor who, given his fitness levels, is still breaking a sweat to get down the other end and make good his ground. Ambrose gets the ball to his wicketkeeper Junior Murray, and the keeper Murray removes the bails with great flurry. Unfortunately for Tubby, he hasn't made it into his crease and with a turn to look at the dilapidated stumps, he begins walking off the ground, bat under his arm, and chewing gum still masticating in his mouth.

Meanwhile Slats, having seen Tubby struggling to make his ground, had the good sense to finally get inside the batting crease at the striker's end and watch as his left-handed opening partner slowly walks from the ground.

Unfortunately for Tubby, his walk is made extra long by the fact the pavillion is on the bowler's end of the ground, and so after much huffing in puffing (and chewing of his gum), he is just about to walk past Boon who by this stage has discontinued his bat waving. With Tubby almost next to Boon (who is standing just within the bowler's end popping crease) suddenly Courtney Walsh with all his experience, seems to have a brain explosion and under-arms the ball to Curtley who removes a stump from the ground (both bails were already on the ground). Tubby is out of his ground, but he thought he was already out?

Umpires Shepard and Bird convene to decide on relevant points of law, before both walking towards the batsmen.

With the noise of the crowd, and even more so the sound of Taylor sucking in the big ones from his 20.12 metre dash to the striker's end, neither can quite hear what the umpires are saying.

The umpires wish to make a decision:

What is the decision and why?
Has Boonie got his century?
Surely someone is out, but who?

Answer: Tomorrow.

Anonymous

Juniors
Someone is definatly out, and although it is probably Tubbie, I think there is some rule which prevents players with a runner, running.

The fact that Boon ran can come under scrutinty by the WI players, and they can then qeustion Boon to see if he really injured, thus terminating the runner but not solving the puzzle.

My final answer will be Taylor though as Slater was the runner, yet he stood his ground according to the info. What David Boon did was insignificant and Taylor is the one who responded to Boon's running rather than Slaters. For me Taylor is gorrrnne.

*Paul*

Juniors
I reckon Boonie.

Law 8.2 (c)
[...] if he is out of his ground when the wicket is put down at the wicket-keeper's end, he will be out in the circumstances of Law 38 (Run out) or Law 39 (Stumped) irrespective of the position of the non-striker or of the runner.

Even though he's safe at the bowlers end -
Law 29.2 (e)
When a batsman with a runner is striker, his ground is always that at the wicket-keeper's end.

The Martin Crowe one has me stumped for now.

knights04

Bench
Colonel Eel said:
OK OK..... gee.... impatient aren't we!!!! :roll:

OK Martin Crowe played for NZ - his career ran from 1982 -1995. What was significant about his innings from 22/2/84 -28/03/1993?

Is it the fact he is the current leading runscorer in tests for New Zealand?

Doctor

Bench
*Paul* said:
I reckon Boonie.

Law 8.2 (c)
[...] if he is out of his ground when the wicket is put down at the wicket-keeper's end, he will be out in the circumstances of Law 38 (Run out) or Law 39 (Stumped) irrespective of the position of the non-striker or of the runner.

Even though he's safe at the bowlers end -
Law 29.2 (e)
When a batsman with a runner is striker, his ground is always that at the wicket-keeper's end.

The Martin Crowe one has me stumped for now.

The section in bold is not from Law 8, least of all Law 8.2 - but I'll pay the answer because it is correct in the sense that the injured-batsman irresepective of whether he is on strike or not, must remain behind the popping crease at the striker's end throughout his innings when he has a runner.

I think you mean Law 2.8 (c) - you are correct with regards to the injured striker being out irrespective of where his runner and non-striker are.

BUT: The trick is, was he out before this?

Essentially given Boonie cannot be run-out at the bowler's end anyway (his only requirement is to stay within his crease and let his runner do the running), he wasn't running himself out at the bowler's end. But Superman Slats was lingering around outside his crease. What I didn't tell you (and therefore won't have any bearing on the answer), was whether Slats and Tubby had crossed at the moment that Curtly took the bowler's end stumps the first time. If Tubby had managed to pass Slats, then irrespective of the fact Slats wasn't running (he was lingering within 3 or 4 metres of his crease), Slats would have run Boonie out - even though Boonie was in "his" crease at the bowler's end (of course, as I said his crease is only ever at the wicketkeeper's end, so he shouldn't have run).

Thankfully I didn't tell you this before, so technically based on the information given, Boonie is out on the second attempt at a run-out when Tubby thinks he is out. The law says that you disregard where Tubby and Slats are if Boonie is out of his ground (which he was from the moment he left his crease at the striker's end).

To complicate things further: If Boonie had realised his mistake and toddled off down to his end before the stumps were broken by the wicketkeeper, irrespective of whether Tubby had made it or not, then Tubby's walk off the ground, whereby he almost made good his ground at the bowler's end, would have cost him his wicket if the Windies hadn't clicked onto the fact that no-one was out already.

Anyway, it can get a whole lot more complicated than that - maybe I will throw in some No balls, injuries and overthrows. :lol:

Doctor

Bench
Given I have no ideas for the Martin Crowe question, here are some more, easier than the Crowe question (which in my opinion is ambiguous :roll: )

See if you can answer the first two questions in your head - many will be able to rattle off most of the names without looking for material to help them out. The third one will also be easy for some, the fourth one you may need some help from a book for.

They are all Australian Cricket questions:

Q 1)
Since 1991, there have been how many single-test players? What are their names?

Q 2)
Name the players (those who debuted after 1991) who have played just two Tests:
Simon Katich is one, there are four others - name them.

Q 3)
Who am I?
I played nearly 30 Test matches, averaged in the mid 40s with the bat and bowled some tidy off spin - until recently I also had the distinction of being the only Australian batsman to do what?
What is my name, and what was I the only Australian batsman to have succeeded in doing?

Q 4)
Who am I?
A tall fast bowler who produced a wonderful Test bowling average superior to most of the great fast bowlers, many questioned my bowling action, but I was never no-balled for throwing. I was also criticised for a unique drag during my bowling action. Unfortuately Hepatitus cut short my promising career.

The Colonel

Immortal
Oswin said:
Given I have no ideas for the Martin Crowe question, here are some more, easier than the Crowe question (which in my opinion is ambiguous :roll: )

Actually its not....... quite simple if you have a look at his stats!

From 140 innings Martin Crowe was only out for a duck on three occasions

The second of the three was prior to 18/02/84. He was caught by Alec Stweart off the bowling of Darren Gough for his next duck on the 19/05/94. This was ten years and 119 innings between ducks - the current world record.

The Colonel

Immortal
Q1, Seven players - Brad Williams (To date at least) Stuart Law, Wayne Phillips, Matt Nicholson, Shaun Young, Paul Wilson, Phil Emery

Q2 - Scott Muller, Adam Dale, Simon Cook, Peter McIntyre

Q3 - Thrown me on that one.

Q4 - WJ Whitty

Doctor

Bench
Colonel Eel said:
Q1, Seven players - Brad Williams (To date at least) Stuart Law, Wayne Phillips, Matt Nicholson, Shaun Young, Paul Wilson, Phil Emery

Q2 - Scott Muller, Adam Dale, Simon Cook, Peter McIntyre

Q3 - Thrown me on that one.

Q4 - WJ Whitty

The first two answers are looking fine - Katich is obviously in question 2.
My desk is in chaos at the moment so I don't actually know where I put the answer sheet - from memory they all seem to be there.

Q 3) A clue is that he is now a very successful businessman.

Q 4) Sorry it isn't William Whitty, although this answer came out of the blue and does line up as statistically similar (average-wise).

But the player is actually a right-arm fast bowler with far less wickets than Whitty and in a different era - which means he played sometime between 1925 and 1975.

Of particular note is his action - considered suspect, and they actually made law changes during his career that forced him to change his action - he retired following a bout of Hepatitus.

Doctor

Bench
Colonel Eel said:
Oswin said:

Actually its not....... quite simple if you have a look at his stats!

From 140 innings Martin Crowe was only out for a duck on three occasions

The second of the three was prior to 18/02/84. He was caught by Alec Stweart off the bowling of Darren Gough for his next duck on the 19/05/94. This was ten years and 119 innings between ducks - the current world record.

Aha, I see it is not quite as ambiguous as I thought. Good question. Who is second on that list? I'm fairly sure Michael Slater went many years without a duck.

The Colonel

Immortal
Rahul Dravid is second on the list - 112 innings.

Australis best is Dean Jones - 88 innings.

Not sure about your Q's 3 and 4. I am leaning towards Wayne Clark for Q4 though.

Anonymous

Juniors
Colonel Eel said:
Rahul Dravid is second on the list - 112 innings.

Australis best is Dean Jones - 88 innings.

Not sure about your Q's 3 and 4. I am leaning towards Wayne Clark for Q4 though.

Is Dravid still going or not?

Latest posts