What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronk to leave Storm in 2018

M2D2

Bench
Ah, look at all the stupid people

Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?

All the stupid people
Where do they all come from?
All the stupid people
Where do they all belong?
8689d25a522674f4eeef3affc1b316d7

Spot On

Coach
inglis' days at FB are over. to prolong his career, seibold needs to play him at centre.

that's walker to FB and cronk in the halves.

Unfortunately Cody is not much chop in the fullback position most of the time.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee

Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?

All the stupid people
Where do they all come from?
All the stupid people
Where do they all belong?

The wife tripped over her grave. True story.

It's completely irrelevant and off topic but that's just how I roll.

POPEYE

Coach
He's going to be boring us on fox for the next 47 years, I'm sure he'll get a big contract for being so loyal to Melbourne from the news limited mob.

Then again he's probably going to get the money the roosters have left over in their cap by letting Remi Castry go early if he signs with the bondi gangsters.

Well said, we purists don't need to have the game explained but Wankerland will need Cronk . . . the new Pied Piper

POPEYE

Coach
inglis' days at FB are over. to prolong his career, seibold needs to play him at centre.

that's walker to FB and cronk in the halves.
Playing Inglis at Fullback should have remained an experiment, Souths f**ked his chance of an elongated career when they made him do what his founding coach said he shouldn't. He needs to return to Melbourne where he'll find the antidote to his depression

Bloke

Juniors
Playing Inglis at Fullback should have remained an experiment, Souths f**ked his chance of an elongated career when they made him do what his founding coach said he shouldn't. He needs to return to Melbourne where he'll find the antidote to his depression
He needs Melbourne but Melbourne doesn't need him. The irony is delicious.

davi

Juniors
I also laughed at the bit about Pearce being 28 with ‘legitimate debate’ over his composure. Like, really?? Hasn’t the journo watched his 83 Origin games??

The main complaint about Pearce isn't he's a good clubman, but more that he is not up to scratch for state of origin football. Also Pearce wasn't totally responsible for Roosters flame out this year, they were completely outplayed by the Cowboys in the forwards.

POPEYE

Coach
What if the Yanks threw 3 or 4 million at Cronk to coach the NY team . . . which players would that attract

Knight76

Juniors
I wasn't aware NY was in Sydney.

It was nice of the rooters to go to the NRL and ask them for help stretching their cap even larger to fit cronk in. I hope they took the book marked for NRL inspection and not the one locked in the safe.

POPEYE

Coach

It was nice of the rooters to go to the NRL and ask them for help stretching their cap even larger to fit cronk in. I hope they took the book marked for NRL inspection and not the one locked in the safe.
I reckon if Cronk went to NY either as coach, player or administrator his lady would suffer the poor life with him for a few years

Valheru

Coach

A bit of respect please, we aren't as dumb as Melbourne

We keep the books on separate premises with the secret one being marked "why we hate souffs" ;)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Boats????

Bloke

Juniors
Boats????

I wouldn't want him back, IMO he's the biggest culprit in the whole debacle. Boat for his dad and rental assistance for his parents, even though they lived with him? f**k off merkin. Reward for consistent effort wasn't there. As an aside, this book isn't a bad read.

The book the Melbourne Storm don't want you to read: Part 2 - Greg Inglis deal

• July 31, 2013 1:59pm
  • by Paul Kennedy
  • Source: DailyTelegraph
37f870f09ced0d77fd2930e8ab0b31ba

Greg InglisSource: News Limited
PAUL Kennedy's book Storm Cloud chronicles the rise, fall and rise of the Melbourne Storm. In this exclusive extract, he takes us back to 2008 when the Storm were negotiating the contract of star player Greg Inglis.

IN 2008 the re-signing of Greg Inglis became a major issue for Melbourne Storm.

Inglis was the most exciting prospect in Australian sport. Three months earlier he had helped his country beat New Zealand in the Centenary Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

There was a quiet understanding between (then Storm boss) Brian Waldron and Inglis's manager Allan Gainey. Both had been quoted in the press as saying they were not worried about Inglis leaving Storm. But still ... just to be safe. Neither wanted to even contemplate the star heading overseas. Gainey replied, "Quite happy to do so".

At that time Inglis had a decent contract: $420,000 (2009) and $450,000 (2010). Gainey knew any extension would mean a pay rise for player and manager.

Before one of the earliest meetings, Gainey spoke privately to Inglis about his asking price.

Gainey said, "I think you should go for 500 to 550." Inglis instructed, "550 would be better."

"Fine."

Five hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year - a good place to start.

Waldron sat down with them later and opened with a curious statement. He said he had been told by the NRL that he must do whatever it takes to secure the future of Inglis at the Storm and in the NRL long term.

Gainey took Waldron to mean that he had been empowered by the NRL, News Ltd and the Storm board of directors to negotiate whatever it would take - that he had a totally free hand to keep Inglis in the league. The CEO proposed a four-year deal.

Inglis had been contracted to Storm for 2007-2010. His performances were improving and his stature in the game was growing at club, state and international levels. Gainey said, "Greg will need a financial package of $550,000 per season to extend his contract to represent his true market value."

Waldron nodded and said he didn't think that was a problem. But he added the package would have to include third-party agreements and mentioned the possibility of a federal government program for outstanding indigenous athletes.

Gainey says he thought Waldron meant the NRL would approve any increase in salary and perhaps involve its sponsors in some legitimate side deals.

Gainey spent the rest of the meeting chasing up extras. Inglis wanted a sponsor's car to drive and he wanted airfares for his family. The agent also mentioned money owed. Inglis had still not been paid promised money through the league development scheme. Also, there was $40,000 outstanding from a contract variation.

The world's most exciting player had not spoken much during the meeting, letting his agent go to work. In wrapping up, Waldron concluded that he would seek the endorsement and ratification of the board at Storm and get back to Gainey.

As everyone was leaving Inglis said to Waldron, "Is there any chance of getting a boat for Dad?" Not even Gainey knew his client was going to make the request.

Waldron replied, "When you're ready I'll give you a contact person and they'll look after you. Up to a maximum of $30,000."

A week after the Federation Square meeting, Gainey and Inglis caught up briefly at Manly Pacific Hotel. Storm were playing the Sea Eagles at Brookvale the following day. The agent and footballer itemised the terms for extending Inglis's contract.

Inglis liked the look of the items and numbers. "I'll stay if you can get that deal done," he said.

Then Inglis flagged, almost as an afterthought, his desire for Storm to provide rental assistance to his parents should they relocate to Melbourne (they were planning to do so). Gainey said he would try to include it. He left the meeting experiencing relief and satisfaction.

davi

Juniors
Couple of points in the Cooper Cronk stakes

- Some commentators believe Pearce can't stay at the Roosters if Cronk comes on aboard
- It would only be worth the Roosters effort if Cronk commits to more then one year
- Lurker reports Souths have pulled out of the Cronk stakes.
- Lurker sources suggest Parramatta considering making a run at Cronk.
- NRL won't register a contract for Cronk for anything less then 750 000 a year from the Roosters.

Cronk could deliver Roosters are premiership but with all the problems it causes in terms of things running smoothly I'm wondering is it really worth their while for a short-term sugar hit.