What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronk wants to be a one-club man

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Fearless Cronk born to lead

By Stuart Honeysett
October 04, 2008 AFTER signing a five-year contract with Melbourne this season, Cooper Cronk admitted he could never envisage himself playing for any club besides the Storm.
However, there was a time when the Melbourne half-back thought he would be lucky to play for them at all. In the summer of 2003, he was having his first taste of pre-season training under coach Craig Bellamy.

Log on to foxsports.com.au on Sunday 5 October for LIVE and INTERACTIVE coverage of the NRL grand final between Melbourne and ManlyThe then 19-year-old was two hours into a four-hour session under the hot Melbourne sun when he collapsed in agony.

Given Bellamy was an old school, hard-nosed fitness fanatic; he assumed Cronk had simply pulled the pin.

"Get up. You're not tough enough to be a first-grade footballer," Bellamy snapped.

It wasn't long before the players joined in. Prop Robbie Kearns spearheaded a group that also screamed at Cronk to get up.

When he still failed to move, everyone realised something was seriously wrong. An ambulance was called and Cronk was rushed to hospital. He had a bleeding stomach ulcer and would spend two days in hospital.

"It was a hell of a session, probably one of the toughest I've done, and I obviously didn't finish it," Cronk said. "Bellyache (Bellamy) is very much a tough customer and if you pull out of a session or pull up and say it's too hard, there's the door basically.

"Luckily enough, I had a fair reason not to finish."

Cronk, 24, rarely gets mentioned in the same breath as some of Storm's superstars even though he has an Australia jumper in his cupboard. It's hard to stand out in a team featuring Greg Inglis, Israel Folau and Billy Slater.

In fact, Cronk isn't perceived to be as crucial to Storm as hooker Cameron Smith. Once Smith was rubbed out for two games by the judiciary, many thought the club's title hopes would go with him.

But Cronk displayed his worth in last Friday night's 28-0 preliminary final win over Cronulla.

It wasn't just the fact he set up the first try, after finding a gap in the defence before kicking ahead for winger Steve Turner to score. It wasn't just his precision kicking game, that kept the Sharks pinned in their own end.

It was his exchange with teammate Anthony Quinn after a dubious penalty was blown against Storm for a grapple tackle by Matt Geyer.

Unhappy with the decision, Quinn was venting his frustration at referee Tony Archer before Cronk took control.

"Zip it, zip it," he screamed at Quinn, before telling Archer, "Don't worry. I've got him."

Cronk downplayed the incident this week, claiming there were plenty of leaders at the club and he was just one of them.

"It's one of the strengths we have here through our leadership group," Cronk said.

"But I'm a fill-in, (Smith's) the captain of this club and always will be as long as he's here.

"He's a great leader, he's captain of his country and captain of his state and he's got my vote."

Kearns, himself a former Melbourne captain, said he can remember Cronk showing leadership qualities shortly after he arrived in 2003.

"We used to go on these training camps and they used to give us all this 'outside the square' sort of thinking activities," Kearns said.

"Sure enough, I'd be scratching my brain and he'd complete the whole lot of it.

"Without a doubt, he's a natural born leader and I said to him after the Sharks game, 'It was a good way you led the team around, not only as a playmaker but as a captain'.

"In my time playing rugby league I always used to prefer a captain that led by example rather than talk the talk. He did both, because he talked the talk and he also led by example."

Veteran Matt Geyer said Cronk had flourished in Storm's system.

"He's a natural leader and it might be unfortunate he plays under Cameron Smith his whole career because he might not get to experience being a captain all that much," Geyer said.

"He likes talking, he likes being verbal and he's not a quiet bloke by any stretch of the imagination - and he's a footballer. He likes studying the game and he likes doing things that involve football."

Cronk's leadership qualities were on display in Melbourne this week as the club began the build-up for its third consecutive grand final. While some of his team-mates were reluctant to front the cameras and microphones at an open media session, the Storm No.7 was in his element.

During interviews, he affectionately refers to teammates like Inglis - only three years his junior - as "a darn good kid".

At the club's fan day on Tuesday, Cronk bounded down the stairs and boomed out a loud "Good morning" to the throng of supporters on hand.

Cronk's state of mind could have something to do with the fact his long-term future is settled. In July, he signed a contract that would keep him at the club until the end of the 2013 season.

Usually such deals are protracted affairs, taking months to get sorted.

Cronk was different. He needed only two minutes.

"Contracts and negotiations are so individual that one is never similar to the other one," Cronk said. "The question I just asked myself and answered in two minutes was, 'Am I happy here and do I enjoy it?'

"I enjoy turning up to training and I love playing with these blokes, they're all my good mates.

"I enjoy the lifestyle, I enjoy the football club, it's an absolute pleasure to train and play."

When his deal expires, Cronk will be 29.

Depending on what happens in tomorrow night's grand final against Manly at ANZ Stadium, he could have another premiership ring by then. While he didn't want to speculate on the club's chances of success, he conceded he couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

"I'm probably not going to play against the Melbourne Storm," Cronk said.

"It's just the feeling that I have, the passion that I have would be pretty hard to do so.

"It's the old saying - why fix it when it ain't broken?"

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24445229-23214,00.html

Good story, in my opinion Cooper's the most under-rated player in the NRL.

P.J.

Juniors
And how much would he be on? 350K? That's about right I reckon. Inglis? 350K? Worth more but signed for less (wink wink).

Ok, that's 700K, what about Falou, oh, he's gone forget him. Slater? Gotta be what 350K too, Origin and Australia fullback? What about Turner, 200K, made Origin this year, was there a bonus in there for him? Let's say 250K, What about Quinn. I reckon he's 200K too with a 50K bonus.

What are we up? 1.55 million. Ok, what about White, Origin forward gotta be on 350K too, ok, so we're at 1.9 million. What about Cam the Man Smith, he's gotta be on 450K i reckon. That's 2.35 million bucks right there. Then you've got Hoffman (Origin), Johnson (Origin), both have to be on 300K+. So we're at 2.95 million of a 4 million dollar Salary cap and i've been very generous on wages.

2.95 million and i've only counted 9 players. The 4 million has to cover the Top 25.

Now, Inglis should be on 500K, Cronk 400K, White 400K, Slater 400K, Cam Smith 500K. So realistically their Top 5 actually take up 2.2 million.

Now tell me this mob are under the cap.....

They broke the cap in 2000, 2001, 2002, actaully every single year it's been in. They are the only team to break it every single year. They are fined a piddly amont for it, last year was $140,000 which Rupert pays himself and it's all good again.

What a joke of a club, oh and they managed 180 people to their Grand Final fanday....

Now there is a club I'd love to play my entire career for.....NOT!!!

LMFAO!!!!!

Last edited:

Butters

Bench
I'm pretty sure Cronk's only on 200k and there's no way that White, Hoffman and Johnson are all on 300k+

Shorty

Staff member
I really like Cooper Cronk,he makes the Storm almost bearable.

aqua_duck

Coach
Its no secret most of the storm team are on less than they're worth, cronk re-signed for 250k this year, orford is on double that and IMO cronk is better. Lima re-signed this year aswell for about the 200k mark, dogs were offering close to 300k

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
I think the fact they're pretty much anonymous down there would be a big plus. What dollar value to you place on your ability to live a normal life?

Raider_69

Post Whore
the storm have him at a bargin basement price
an absolute steal. He's a bloody good player and a champion bloke
as stated above, one of the best things about Melbourne is Cooper Cronk

also has the best name in RL Imo, closely followed by Sika Manu

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
I'd actually like to see him paired with someone like Benji Marshall or Chris Sandow, I think the contrast of their styles (organised and pre-meditated with intuitivness and play-what-you-see) would be interesting.

P.J.

Juniors
I'm pretty sure Cronk's only on 200k and there's no way that White, Hoffman and Johnson are all on 300k+

So the Premiership winning halfback re-signed with the Storm for 5 years, on 200K per season? :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Wake up sonny.....

Latest posts