What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla - Foldy McFold Fold?

Goddo

Bench
If it wasn't for the Super League money and backing by News Corp in 1998, Cronulla would have been one of the first clubs to be chopped under the "criteria" and rationalisation.

The politics of the post-Super League game ensured their survival when quite clearly an NRL club based solely in the Shire would struggle to survive.

So many poor decisions were made in order for the peace between News and ARL, and this was just one of them.

The only hope for the club as it stands is to struggle along until the next TV deal and hope for a big increase in the NRL grant. But they will still be getting dragged along at the bottom of the comp. NOT GOOD ENOUGH when there are places dieing for a side.

The NRL need to sit down with the Sharks, Qld Government and say the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles and work out a relocation plan. Get a stadium built, get money from the NRL to clear their debt, sell up in the shire and build a new leagues club at Kawana. Or maybe the NRL should simply cut its losses with the Sharks.

This crap from the Sharks isn't good enough.

Red Bear

Referee
I think that is their only viable option if they want to survive
I think i'd stop following rugby league if that happened.

If something was to happen and they folded I'd feel sorry for the fans of Cronulla, but the club would deserve it TBH. Bailed out twice by the NSWRL before jumping over to Super League, only surviving the 'criteria' due to the uneven playing field (ie super league clubs being propped up by News) and continual inneptitude. Should move up to Qld and play maybe a game out of Shark Park per year? A South Qld/second Brisbane side would be good for the game and fans tend to get on board a rellocated side eventually (see Sydney and, to a lesser extent, Brisbane post merger with Fitzroy in the AFL), and would also see them getting some decent 'away' crowds in Sydney if they can maintain some of their supporter base.

Timbo

Staff member
Cheesie - their hammering by Brisbane was not the worst we have seen this season. Why suddenly did not other clubs die after a flogging?

Spending responsibly means you have more savings, and more to spend next year. Souths have been doing it since the early 1970's. In fact, so have Cronulla.

Cronulla on a tight budget and suffering a heavy loss. Since when is THAT a new situation? Their last GF was in 1978 ffs!

The Raiders are getting spanked on the field - however, we own several verrry profitable clubs many of which are outside NSW and hence pokie tax free.

The Sharks being 'asset rich but cash poor' is being shown up to not be true, with the speculative value of said assets being rumoured to be significantly less than what's being let on.

One of the main things the Sharks need to survive are bums on seats at Toyota. And getting smashed every week is going to drive them away.

big country

Juniors
i'd rather see Melb/G.Coast/Cowboys fold before Sharks - those theams have only been here 5 minutes....history=ZIP!!

chrisc101

Juniors
i'd rather see Melb/G.Coast/Cowboys fold before Sharks - those theams have only been here 5 minutes....history=ZIP!!

You're off your head. In Sydney no one cares about the Sharks, they are getting what they deserve. If we got rid of the Sharks out of Sydney the balance of the Sydney clubs would almost be perfect.

GC, Cows and Storm are all massively strategic to the comp...I can assure you the Sharks aren't!

Goddo

Bench
Big country, have a quick look at the Sharks history and you will find it is far less impressive than Melbournes. Gold Coast and the Cowboys have good following and will be successful in the near future. Watch Qld go crazy when they do.

big country

Juniors
Big country, have a quick look at the Sharks history and you will find it is far less impressive than Melbournes. Gold Coast and the Cowboys have good following and will be successful in the near future. Watch Qld go crazy when they do.

i guess any team will have a good 'history' if there is a sugar daddy pumping in an extra $6mil per year:lol:

SDM

First Grade
Kick them out, and move the border of Sydney to the North side of Botany Bay.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
It's only a matter of time.......The only hope left for the Sharks is not the development of invastructure on their swamp land.....But to have a fire sale and relocate. The sooner the better.

runatme

Bench
You're off your head. In Sydney no one cares about the Sharks, they are getting what they deserve. If we got rid of the Sharks out of Sydney the balance of the Sydney clubs would almost be perfect.

GC, Cows and Storm are all massively strategic to the comp...I can assure you the Sharks aren't!

you are a clueless idiot get off this forum

Latest posts