What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla seen as the most deceitful club in Australian sport (Souths related)

, a new survey reveals
NICK WALSHAW THE DAILY TELEGRAPH JULY 05, 2013 12:00AM

CRONULLA are officially the most deceitful sporting brand in Australia.

In a devastating blow for the Sutherland club, League Central can reveal the ongoing ASADA drugs crisis has crippled the image of an organisation whose logo has been worn by such legends as Steve Rogers, Andrew Ettingshausen and Gavin Miller.

According to an 'Asset Study' released today by Gemba, the largest sports research company in Australia, a whopping 12% of all Aussie sports fans now consider the Shire club dishonest.

Even Essendon, the AFL club also caught up in the current drugs crisis, fell well short of this mark.

While both Cronulla chairman Damian Keogh and CEO Bruno Cullen failed to return The Daily Telegraph’s calls last night, a Gemba spokesperson confirmed NRL chief David Smith was among a host of sporting chiefs who would receive the report.

"Our information is widely used by organisations like the NRL, Cricket Australia and FFA," he said.

"We’re also used by the Federal Government and a number of large Australian companies who, when they’re considering sponsorship, want to know exactly what type of values they’re buying into."

Having been heavily criticised for their handling of the ongoing ASADA investigation, Cronulla topped the list of most deceitful NRL clubs – ahead of Canterbury (11%), Melbourne (6%) and Manly (4%). In the AFL, Essendon (9%) headed the list ahead of Collingwood (8%) and St Kilda (5%).

Across the other sports, which included A-League, Big Bash, NBL, even motor racing, no other organisation came close to the Sharks.

Even worse for the Shire club, they also ranked highest in the category “losing momentum”, placing ahead of strugglers Parramatta, St George Illawarra and Penrith.

There was, however, plenty of great news for rugby league with the resurgent South Sydney Rabbitohs polling in the top four of a variety of groups, including dedicated, inspirational, integrity and successful.

When it comes to clubs "on the up", the Rabbitohs finished first ahead of reigning premiers Melbourne, who also featured heavily in the positive groupings.

In other key results:

*Melbourne fullback Billy Slater was rated the most ‘marketable’ NRL star – heading a hot field that includes, in order, Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis, Cam Smith, Cooper Cronk and Benji Marshall.

*South Sydney fullback Greg Inglis is regarded as the most competitive Australian athlete, winning ahead of stars like tennis ace Sam Stosur and cyclist Cadel Evans.

*Newcastle fullback Darius Boyd is considered the most "fake" leaguie.

*Penrith are the most unappealing NRL club.

*Sonny Bill Williams is league’s best looker.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...w-survey-reveals/story-fni3fbgz-1226674500708

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Integrity is throwing a sign through a car window or being reported to have allegedly bashing a woman.

I'd take this report with a grain of salt

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just want to be clear to show I'm not trolling (Should have added this to my first post).

My comment shows just how much integrity or knowledge of the game those surveyed had.

The report is rubbish, you would get a better result if you ran a poll on LU to be honest.

The article is even worse, the lowest kind of tripe you expect to come across by a washed up talentless hack with no integrity or journalistic ability and who has a massive agenda.

Dragon Jim

Juniors
There should have been the following: 1000 people from AFL-mad Victoria were surveyed (and maybe a handful of Dragons supporters).

The beat up though is laughable "We’re also used by the Federal Government and a number of large Australian companies who, when they’re considering sponsorship, want to know exactly what type of values they’re buying into."

So buried rape allegations and admissions of widespread performance enhancing drug use seem acceptable then... A nothing report, and as someone above said, save the salt.

Zigwaa

Bench
According to an 'Asset Study' released today by Gemba, the largest sports research company in Australia, a whopping 12% of all Aussie sports fans now consider the Shire club dishonest.

An absolute pile of shit article. Generalise all "Aussie sports fans" with a select survey group. Also, how is 12% "whopping"?

How the sharks can be perceived by anyone as more dishonest than Melbourne Storm is beyond me.

To the article author writer - what you just said is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard. At no point in you incoherent rambling response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all now dumber for having had listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Noa

First Grade
I just want to be clear to show I'm not trolling (Should have added this to my first post).

My comment shows just how much integrity or knowledge of the game those surveyed had.

The report is rubbish, you would get a better result if you ran a poll on LU to be honest.

The article is even worse, the lowest kind of tripe you expect to come across by a washed up talentless hack with no integrity or journalistic ability and who has a massive agenda.

Thats how serious this report should be taken.

Big Sam

First Grade
No way would I have had Cronulla in my top 5 of deceitful clubs. There's about 14 VFL clubs plus Melbourne, Manly, Easts, and Canterbury ahead of them.

Latest posts