What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross Should get 12 weeks or more

kickback

Juniors
That is the lowest act in footy, Even a king hit is not as bad as a player attacking the eye of another player. "its not his go" what a load of sh*t!!!

HevyDevy

Coach
You've got to love the defence that every player that gets referred receives from their teammates: 'He's a good bloke'

I'm sure he is, that doesn't change the fact that he gouged Morrison's eyes out!

If you feel strongly about it, write to both the NRL and the Roosters. If I was a Roosters' supporter, I'd also be pretty ticked off that they are wasting the club's money paying lawyers to defend this merkin. I'd have more respect if he came out and apologised, admitted the error of his ways and copped his punishment on the chin. Save the club some money and limit the damage to his reputation.

the kirwan kid

Juniors
Paul Harrogon got it right after listening to the panel saying "Cross is a good bloke" etc ... he said he might good bloke but that's an eye gouge - he's gotta go!! (or words to that effect)

Pretty low act - what he did shows that he's a cat!

avsterooster

Juniors
if he had serious intent of eye gouging he would of caused significant damage to morrisons eye gouge... as eye gouges have in the past

in saying this as a rooster supporter i am appauled that he even had his hands around the eyes at all. now eskimo sharkie said if he was a roosters supporter hed be ticked off the club is waisting its money personally i think that is one of the dumbest statements i have ever heard...

the club is a business. ryan cross is a key part of the business, definitely one of the roosters top players this year. you think they would just let him go to the slaughter with out defending him. the roosters have done it better then any club in the past and will do it again, they will invest money in a defense team and as shown in the past it may very well reap dividends.

personally i think he should go for a few weeks. 12 weeks i think is a bit excessive as no damage was caused but still that he did the act and brought the game into disrepute deserves 6 weeks or so... thats not up to me

but to say the club should not defend him is ludicrious.

mickdo

Coach
avsterooster said:
if he had serious intent of eye gouging he would of caused significant damage to morrisons eye gouge... as eye gouges have in the past
Rubbish. Just because he is bad at it, doesn't change the fact that he still tried it.

avsterooster said:

in saying this as a rooster supporter i am appauled that he even had his hands around the eyes at all. now eskimo sharkie said if he was a roosters supporter hed be ticked off the club is waisting its money personally i think that is one of the dumbest statements i have ever heard...

the club is a business. ryan cross is a key part of the business, definitely one of the roosters top players this year. you think they would just let him go to the slaughter with out defending him. the roosters have done it better then any club in the past and will do it again, they will invest money in a defense team and as shown in the past it may very well reap dividends.

personally i think he should go for a few weeks. 12 weeks i think is a bit excessive as no damage was caused but still that he did the act and brought the game into disrepute deserves 6 weeks or so... thats not up to me

The club should defend him I agree 100%. BUt Ryan should not have had his hand there. I am pretty sure Steve Linnane was a good bloke too. Ryan Cross is lucky as are a few players that they are not playing in the old days of Jim Comans. He'd be missing more than 7 weeks that I will guarantee you. Ryan Cross has been a very clean player over a long time in first grade whilst i do not think he had malicious intentions it does not look good for him.

The Colonel

Immortal
avsterooster said:

As you've said his hands shouldn't have been there in the first place but because he didn't hurt him doesn't mean it should be treated any differently to if he had of hurt Morrison. Intent is a hard one to prove - but given the incidents of five minutes before its hard to disprove as well.

avsterooster said:

Take a leaf out of Manly's books. Hopoate was playing like a champion until he nearly decapitated Galloway. They recognise and accept a disgraceful act for exactly that and tear up his contract. Do you think that he was any less pivotal to Manly's premiership aspirations than Cross is for the Roosters?

drake

First Grade
Cross should be hit hard. Eye gouging isn't even legal in Muay Thai.
The Roosters are being smart trying to minimise the damage of this incident.

Comparing this to Hopoate is silly. Hoppa was at the end of a long list of crimes, Cross is a clean skin in comparison.

sretsoor

Juniors
Eskimo Sharkie said:
Take a leaf out of Manly's books. Hopoate was playing like a champion until he nearly decapitated Galloway. They recognise and accept a disgraceful act for exactly that and tear up his contract. Do you think that he was any less pivotal to Manly's premiership aspirations than Cross is for the Roosters?

Yes but Manly attempted to defend him 1st and when they lost, they tore up the contract.

m0j0

Bench
Eskimo Sharkie said:

If they were taking a leaf out of Manly's book, we'd give him another chance and *edit* and we'd give him one more chance. Then he'd have to stick some sort of vegetable up players' orifices and then when we failed to defend him, we'd tear up his contract.

lemon rabbit

Juniors
sretsoor said:
Yes but Manly attempted to defend him 1st and when they lost, they tore up the contract.

Incorrect - Manly and Hopoate had a meeting before the judiciary hearing, and that's where he was sacked - not after it.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I lopve the Rooster'sdefence - "We'll claim he was going for the ball"!!!!

Well, unless the new regulation NRL ball elliptical with a brown dot on one end and a long chord attached to the players brain on the other - the Roosters are full of sh*t!

10 weeks, or it's an utter farce.