What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross Should get 12 weeks or more

super_coach

First Grade
The guy should not be seen till 2006---what ever the intent was,it was a poor excuse for an eye gouge.I know plenty of people want to harm morrison,but eye gouge,no way--if the leagues got guts--rub him out for the season

ausraider

Juniors
super_coach said:
The guy should not be seen till 2006---what ever the intent was,it was a poor excuse for an eye gouge.I know plenty of people want to harm morrison,but eye gouge,no way--if the leagues got guts--rub him out for the season

Mate get serious.This guy plays for Roosters even for day light murder he won't get what you are asking for.Eye gouge roosters defence will fight as it was raining, hands were wet,Morrison's face was wet so in the heat of the moment bit of both happened.Cross's finger slipped as did Morrison's face thus the finger went towards the eye.It wasn't gouging it went towards the eye.

Mr Saab

Referee
Misty Bee said:
Charlie, I knew you could do it. A post that is sensible and agrees with me!

You'r on the christmas card list!

dont get too excited. Throw many things out there and eventually we will agree on one thing ;-)

Cross with 6 weeks, i can am happy with that. He will always have a dark cloud over him for the rest of his career as an eye gouger....thats the big punishment out of all of this

choc_soldier

Coach
Team mates may say that it is not in his character, but incidents like that, even if they are a split second reaction, do define your character - and even if he is a clean skin, should get as heavy a peanlty as he deserves.

But I hate that line of argument, based on "character" lines. Almost seems like it's a cop out of sorts.

Mr Saab

Referee
Knight82 said:
SAAB how the f**k do you describe successful gouge?

See les boyd on billy johnstone
See steve linnane on greg alexander

Cross didnt gouge morrison THAT badly...yes he should have been suspended, but it was nowhere near close to the examples i have given above

Dont know, to be honest if the intents there then it should still be a stiff penalty the 6 weeks he recieved was light IMO, but atleast his stuck with the rep as a gouger for the rest of his career.

Charlie Saab said:
See les boyd on billy johnstone
See steve linnane on greg alexander

Cross didnt gouge morrison THAT badly...yes he should have been suspended, but it was nowhere near close to the examples i have given above

I thought it was at least as bad as the Steve Linnane one. Certainly as blatant and the fact that Morrison didn't suffer a serious injury is just luck. Mark Geyer's effort in 1997 wasn't as bad and I think he ended up being banned from the game.

Mr Saab

Referee
its like some high tackles are worst than others...some get 2 weeks, some get 6. Whats the difference?
Its like Murder...murder is murder right? well then how come some get 10 yrs, some get 20yrs and some get life? They are all different.
Cross had to be suspended, but he couldnt get anymore than 10 weeks. I said 7, but i will take 6. And yes, having the rep as a gouger is the much harsher penalty.

Mr Saab

Referee
Eskimo Sharkie said:
I thought it was at least as bad as the Steve Linnane one. Certainly as blatant and the fact that Morrison didn't suffer a serious injury is just luck. Mark Geyer's effort in 1997 wasn't as bad and I think he ended up being banned from the game.

Linnanes was much worst...he spent longer in the eye region and drew blood. Added to that is the fact that he gouged 2 other panthers players in the same game...not as bad, but still the intent was there. Linnane was not sane that day!
With MG on Quinn, there was no clear video footage and it was MGs word vs Quinn. MG was suspended for a period of time...never banned!

Misty Bee

First Grade
Atr least Cross didn't threaten to kill Morrison, unlike MG and Quinn.

Interesting take on Cross - the prosecution went into bat for him, asking for a reduced sentence! Means he'll be back for the semis.

And roosters fans reckon Hindy was the lucky one!

White Poiner

Coach
yeah, maybe a few more weeks should of been better, look at birds knee wasent as bad as this but he got 4 more weeks. If the roosters get the appeal successful the judicary is a discrase.