What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross Should get 12 weeks or more

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
m0j0 said:
If they were taking a leaf out of Manly's book, we'd give him another chance and *edit*, and we'd give him one more chance. Then he'd have to stick some sort of vegetable up players' orifices and then when we failed to defend him, we'd tear up his contract.

*someone stop playing forum police*

Hoppa was with Wests-Tigers when he tried the rectal probe. Disgraceful act and I seem to recall he was cut by the Tiges as a result. Manly gave him another chance and he repaid them by the Galloway high shot. Contract torn up and end of story.

I'm not saying that the Roosters should tear up his contract as everyone deserves a second chance. But given the video evidence and that Morrison accused him of an eye gouge on the field at the time that it happened, it's pretty clear that it was an eye gouge and he should admit as such and cop whatever punishment the judiciary sees fit to hand down.

This talk of denial, lack of intent, it's not part of his game, heat of battle, some of which is coming from the club, effectively condones his actions and I think that is indefensible.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Colonel -- mojo is taking things way to far suggesting Hopoate taking a knife on the field... Sarcasm or not.

RABK

Referee
CliffyIsGod said:
Colonel -- mojo is taking things way to far suggesting Hopoate taking a ***** on the field... Sarcasm or not.

Don't you think that was edited out for a reason idiot.

The Colonel

Immortal
CliffyIsGod said:
Colonel -- mojo is taking things way to far suggesting Hopoate taking a knife on the field... Sarcasm or not.

And I've edited the post. I think the suggestion was moreso aimed at being a smartarse.....

Doctor

Bench
My sole question is: what was he doing with his fingers in Morrison's eyes if he wasn't trying to eye-gouge? Why else would you shove your fingers into someone else's eye-sockets but to eye gouge.

I also look at Clint Newton's horror tackle from last year -- he too had to be suspended for what he did, not what he aimed to do. The elbow hit Ashton Sims' head/jaw -- you can't get away with such a reckless tackle without a sizeable suspension, even if you can explain why your elbow was there in the first place.

I suppose the obvious difference is that Newton had a reasonable explanation for how it is that his elbow came to be up around Sims' head -- the worst shoulder charge attempt he'll ever try to pull off. His reasons were not factored in, and did not affect the length of his suspension.

If a valid excuse doesn't help your case, then an invalid one cannot. Cross shouldn't be playing again until 2006 if we're going to be consistent.

I'm sorry but i've said it before and i'll say it again. Ryan Cross is a cat simple as that.
He is the master of the cheap shot.
He has to get 12mths if found guilty or their not fair dinkum about cleaning the game up.

albi

Juniors
I think that Cross is a toss. He is also a very good centre, and has been one of the Roosters best players this year.

The mark of a champion player is how they deal with their aggression. Cross, obviously still aggravated about a previous incident with Morrison, chose to resolve the issue with an eye gouge. What he should have done is channel the aggression into lifting his game and running rings around Morrison - which in League terms is a far worse punishment.

I think that he'll now have a few weeks to consider a more appropriate response.

dhurga

Juniors
We can do without incidents like the Cross/Morrison one but I wonder how many go undetected. There was another incident similar (but not as bad) in the Newcastle/Penrith game ... culprit Woolnough for the Knights on Priddis on the try line.

Consistency seems to be a problem with the Referees once again this year.:rolleyes:

mickdo said:
Rubbish. Just because he is bad at it, doesn't change the fact that he still tried it.

i disagree.
if you try and kill someone and fail its attempted murder isnt it?
and that brings with it a smaller sentence.
so the corollary is that an attempted eye gouge should have a reduced punishment than that of a eye gouge causing injury.

still should be of the field for over 6 weeks imo.
no matter how many weeks he gets the damage is done to his reputation. out of the many thousands who frequent these message boards you'll be hard pressed to find a handful of people supporting him. and im sure it would be a similiar feeling in the wider community.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
I lopve the Rooster'sdefence - "We'll claim he was going for the ball"!!!!

Well, unless the new regulation NRL ball elliptical with a brown dot on one end and a long chord attached to the players brain on the other - the Roosters are full of sh*t!

10 weeks, or it's an utter farce.

Just like Josh Perry got earlier in the season when Terry Hill alledged he was eye gouged by Perry. Oh that's right. Perry got 1 week.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Charlie, I knew you could do it. A post that is sensible and agrees with me!

You'r on the christmas card list!

JJ

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
IMO..

"succesful" eye gouge = 26 weeks
Cross gouge = 7 weeks

I would hope that you're right and he gets about 7 weeks - looks pretty simple, and there's no doubt it was a gouge.

But, I disagree fundamentally with the notion that the action has to cause a significant injury - it's the position chook took in another thread - no damage done, therefore the punishment should be less (in chook's opinion none). Doesn't make sense to me, it's very dangerous, and we shouldn't have to wait for someone's career to be ended for a heavy sentence to be handed down.

Cross looks like a cheap-shot merchant for mine. Morrison got under his skin, and Cross lost the plot - shouldn't be any excuses, and the Roosters should obvioulsy from their perspective try and minimise the sentence - but if they defend it saying there was no gouge, then they are a disgrace...