What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't we just pay 20000 students $5 each to go sit in the crowds at anz

Its worth a $100k \ game to average 37k at anz per game

Obviously tongue in cheek

But I reckon if you did it for 5 years, you would average 37k at anz in 5 yyears without the rent a crowd

Students are always starving, make it free entry and free hot chips. They'll be rolling in!

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
We can't expect to be seen as a top tier sport whilst we continue to play in third tier stadia (I use the word losely!). Could you imagine a EPL game being allowed to be played at a venue like that? Ten years time the suburban grounds will be a distant memory.

Some epl stadiums are pretty poor.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some epl stadiums are pretty poor.

Which ones that you would consider remotely comparable to the few suburban grounds left?

Whilst a good crowd by the current NRL standard 16k between two western Sydney teams doing well on a perfect sunny Sunday afternoon needs to be much much better in years to come if we want to see that 20k avg broken. We need our heartland tribalism strength to be our strength.

DIOGENES

Juniors
I am not sure what the seating capacity is but I would guess about 10,000
The facilities including the pissoir remind me of No 1 Sports Ground in Newcastle in 1968.
You can not expect to attract a broad demographic when you offer this level of entertainment and have the hide to charge $30 for it.

Saint Doc

Coach
Which ones that you would consider remotely comparable to the few suburban grounds left?

Whilst a good crowd by the current NRL standard 16k between two western Sydney teams doing well on a perfect sunny Sunday afternoon needs to be much much better in years to come if we want to see that 20k avg broken. We need our heartland tribalism strength to be our strength.

I'm not saying comparable to suburban ground, but craven cottage is pretty ancient.

I sat on wooden seats that seemed 100 years old, and the stand I was in was a fire trap if ever I've seen one

Can't we just pay 20000 students $5 each to go sit in the crowds at anz

Its worth a $100k \ game to average 37k at anz per game

Obviously tongue in cheek

But I reckon if you did it for 5 years, you would average 37k at anz in 5 yyears without the rent a crowd

20,000 students would probably drink about $500,000 in piss too.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So no home finals, that sucks.

Pretty much but it avoids farcical decisions like keeping a match at Kogarah or Parramatta when it has potential to draw far more than the capacities of those grounds.

guyver78

Juniors
Back from Leichhardt.
First I admit that I watch a lot of NRL on TV and usually only go to games 1-2 times a year and always at ANZ or Alliance.
Today's experience on the hill at Leichhardt is one I won't repeat. Standing for 2 hours with so much of the field obscured by people in front that I spent most of the game watching the screen hardly seems good value. I hate to be elitist but it seemed the type of experience that would be best appreciated by drunken Bogans. An average crowd of 16k isn't the disgrace that people on this forum constantly call it but it is a good indicator of the small section of the population who are attracted to attend the games, as distinct from the huge at home audience.

League is a great game on TV and will prosper without worrying about crowds BUT if it does won't to increase its crowds to 20k it has to have a product that appeals to more than its traditional demographic and as a first step it has to get rid of poor quality suburban grounds.

Certainly this will initially result in a drop in crowds particularly in games like Titans v Manly but in the long term going to the game will get the reputation of being good value entertainment and the potential crowd will grow.

Lets Embrace suburban grounds more :lol:
They will certainly grow our next generation of crowds!!! :sarcasm:

Canard

Immortal
The Melbourne Storm have had an ad on Victorian TV "No Ordinary Team" all year.

It often details special deals like Kids Free etc.

This last week or so its detailing that you can get a $50 Family Pass against the Bulldogs (I assume this means 2 adults and 2 kids)

This is a great initiative and well done to the Storm.

HOWEVER, no-where within the content of the ad does it state what date or time the match is on!!!

FMD, surely this is just basic stuff??

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Depends who we play. If we play Dogs or Souths may move it to Allianz

Sarcasm doesnt translate on a computer, so im hoping thats a joke. Why would they go out of their way to get a small crowd??

I mean, Penrith arent the most hated team, but crowd-wise their best rivalries will always be the teams west of homebush. Why detract from that by moving it the far east of the city??

papabear

Juniors
Every Season Tigers, Eels, Bulldogs and Panthers should play each other twice.

make that
tigers, eels, bulldogs, dragons, souths

Panthers have had some woeful crowds in the past and if you are structuring the draw around crowds it certainly should not have a priority on the panthers.

DC_fan

Coach
Back from Leichhardt.
First I admit that I watch a lot of NRL on TV and usually only go to games 1-2 times a year and always at ANZ or Alliance.
Today's experience on the hill at Leichhardt is one I won't repeat. Standing for 2 hours with so much of the field obscured by people in front that I spent most of the game watching the screen hardly seems good value. I hate to be elitist but it seemed the type of experience that would be best appreciated by drunken Bogans. An average crowd of 16k isn't the disgrace that people on this forum constantly call it but it is a good indicator of the small section of the population who are attracted to attend the games, as distinct from the huge at home audience.

League is a great game on TV and will prosper without worrying about crowds BUT if it does won't to increase its crowds to 20k it has to have a product that appeals to more than its traditional demographic and as a first step it has to get rid of poor quality suburban grounds.

Certainly this will initially result in a drop in crowds particularly in games like Titans v Manly but in the long term going to the game will get the reputation of being good value entertainment and the potential crowd will grow.

Great story and totally agree

DC_fan

Coach
We can't expect to be seen as a top tier sport whilst we continue to play in third tier stadia (I use the word losely!). Could you imagine a EPL game being allowed to be played at a venue like that? Ten years time the suburban grounds will be a distant memory.

The sad thing is that some people still believe suburban grounds are the way to go. May have been true 50 years ago, but not today.

Give me an all-seater football stadium any time over Leichhardt, Penrith, Manly, Kograh, Campbelltown and a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.