What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crowd watch 2014 part IV

Danish

Referee
Believe it or not sitting next to some pissed dickhead screaming obscenities at the ref isn't many people's idea of a "good time".

If we want crowd figures to rise then catering to the needs of the "young guys who like to drink" portion of fans ain't going to help any.

elbusto

Coach
Believe it or not sitting next to some pissed dickhead screaming obscenities at the ref isn't many people's idea of a "good time".

If we want crowd figures to rise then catering to the needs of the "young guys who like to drink" portion of fans ain't going to help any.
What a load of crap. I have been going to footy for over 45 years - three different codes, and idiots are idiots pissed or sober.

I went to our Rugby Grand Final down here last week and sat in the wet area and had a ripper time drinking a load of piss, cracking idiotic jokes, and watching a cracking game of footy.

It is part of footy culture. You would had such an awful time though:lol::lol::lol:

elbusto

Coach
Friday - PAX- 57489

Saturday - PAX - 45909

Tonight's atmosphere will be huge and with no competition it will rate its socks off. I am off to buy some quarter strength Pimms so I can sit back and have two 4 oz glasses of alcohol to appease the boring old farts here. :D

cleary89

Coach

How about the "anyone who likes to drink" portion of fans, which would be well over 50%

Danish

Referee
What a load of crap. I have been going to footy for over 45 years - three different codes, and idiots are idiots pissed or sober.

I went to our Rugby Grand Final down here last week and sat in the wet area and had a ripper time drinking a load of piss, cracking idiotic jokes, and watching a cracking game of footy.

It is part of footy culture. You would had such an awful time though:lol::lol::lol:

And thats all well and good, but how many fans turned up to this park football game? enough to sustain an NRL club running on $20-30 million per year?

NRL clubs need big crowds to turn up, and unfortunately trying to bring in the drinkers means the families stay away. And families are more attractive to clubs since they are more likely to turn up and also tend to spend more money on merchandise etc.

What would be good, however, would be for the NRL to promote SOME games with full strength. Friday night games and the 7:30 saturday game would be good options since you don't tend to see a whole bunch of families slogging it out to a friday night game after work or dragging the kids out to the footy on a cold winter night. Could counter it by bringing back saturday arvo footy and promoting it heavily as the family time slot.

cleary89

Coach
That's a fair compromise. Most swans games I've been to it's been more people in 20's and 30's for a night out than families but what ever. Area's like family hill at kogarah, win and shark park are good. Bullshit to be paying $45 for the premium seats and can't even have a full strength beer, yet the people 2 rows behind you in the corporate boxes can.

Danish

Referee
How about the "anyone who likes to drink" portion of fans, which would be well over 50%

The amount of people in the "I like to drink so much that I refuse to go to places that don't offer full strength beer" is probably quite a bit lower though. If I had to guess it would probably add up to less people than those that fit into the "I don't want to be in / don't want to take my kids to a place filled with drunk men" category.

elbusto

Coach
That's a fair compromise. Most swans games I've been to it's been more people in 20's and 30's for a night out than families but what ever. Area's like family hill at kogarah, win and shark park are good. Bullshit to be paying $45 for the premium seats and can't even have a full strength beer, yet the people 2 rows behind you in the corporate boxes can.

Best time I have had at the footy was Shark park - spend $120 on merchandise and my first shout cost $25 for two schooners and two champagnes for the four of us. Crowd had a ball, there were no problems, and all the funny little Danish people sat in the dry area having a nice family time.

cleary89

Coach
I've never heard anyone say they wont go to the footy because there are too many drunk people so I disagree.

elbusto

Coach
The amount of people in the "I like to drink so much that I refuse to go to places that don't offer full strength beer" is probably quite a bit lower though. If I had to guess it would probably add up to less people than those that fit into the "I don't want to be in / don't want to take my kids to a place filled with drunk men" category.
Well that helps your argument so that little self serving tome must be true then bro!

cleary89

Coach
Best time I have had at the footy was Shark park - spend $120 on merchandise and my first shout cost $25 for two schooners and two champagnes for the four of us. Crowd had a ball, there were no problems, and all the funny little Danish people sat in the dry area having a nice family time.

I went to shark park for the cowboys game this year with 2 mates who aren't football supporters and even suggested to me going. Stand on the little hill on the far side on the left of the main stand with a few hundred other guys under 30 who are all sinking beers.

I doubt these 2 have even been to another game all year, just wanted a beer on a friday night and knew there was a game on.

elbusto

Coach
Well I am off to drink piss watching the footy with my brother. We are going to get really drunk and punch each others heads in and ruin the night for any family close by.

That is how we roll.

Have a good night all especially my sober little friends!

insert.pause

First Grade
This idea that the souths v roosters is the biggest draw in sydney is a myth then. Any combination of souths, bulldogs, eels, dragons and tigers would get a bigger crowd.

Easts let it down, I reckon the same fixture had it been played last year gets 70k+, easts fans are already bored of the success.

cleary89

Coach
Yeh easts crowds dropped like 50% after winning the comp. If this was last year it would have been bigger.