What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowe reveals his American dream

TheRam

Coach
Great idea from Rusty but will never happen. The too much footy outcry will always get in the way.

I mean think about it we have our season proper, mid year rep games, end of year rep games and then this new proposal.

I'd love to see it, but I don't think it will be possible.

Loudstrat

Coach

Agreed.

That Tri-series of 1997 was dreadful.

I like the way Crowe thinks. Has his name been put forward for a place on the IC or has he expressed interest himself?
The difference was that under Ribot's stupid abortion Traitor League and the ESL played an entire knock out comp, and the Poms were so sh*t that they gave 'em 50 points head start someone would make the finals :lol:

Geez they had some crap ideas - like jugglers and clowns, a giant S for stupid on every jersey, and trying to make Bill Harrigan a sex god :lol:

Personally I think four teams is enough, and not all in Las Vegas.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Agreed.

That Tri-series of 1997 was dreadful.

I like the way Crowe thinks. Has his name been put forward for a place on the IC or has he expressed interest himself?
I don't think owners are allowed to be on the IC?
Give it up Crowe,America doesn't care about rugby league and never will.
Oh why don't you shoot him for trying to think outside the square and with a little vision. Something that is nonexistant in the people running the game. America doesn't care about rugby league now, but that does not mean they never will if we handle it right.

This guy's a f*ckin genius really.

I love the idea, and I really like how he's included AMNRL clubs in the future. Hopefully this happens one day, and it leads to Rusty getting a bunch of investors together to turn the AMNRL fully pro. Imagine Denzel Washington owning a franchise in LA, or Jay-Z owning a franchise in New York. Rugby League could be a pathway for thousands of young gridiron players who have talent but don't make the NFL. It's about time we stopped underestimating our game and gave international expansion a real shot. If we showcase our game all over the world, sooner or later it's going to catch on somewhere. I love the idea of taking some quality test footy overseas.

I applaud Rusty. I was hoping he was thinking of American expansion one day, and it looks like he seriously is. He's one of the most important figures in our game right now.

If the UFC can catch on like it has with Boxing still being massive in the states, Rugby League can too.

Vic Mackey

Referee
great idea but I cant really see rusty in there advertising say penrith and brisbane against wigan and Leeds.

He'll say Brisbane never got back to him and souffs have stood in for them.

schnitzel

Juniors
Who pays for all this? Travel to and from, not only for the teams but extended staff, as well as accomodation and everything else. I mean there will be some gate takings and a sports network will probably buy the package for a pittance. The carrot isn't big enough for the clubs to fund the shortfall, the WCC is a stretch already.

About as good an idea by Rusty as TOFOG...:sarcasm:

Chachi

Bench
Bloody great idea if you're happy for your top players to play 40-45 games a season after pre-season matches, 24 rounds of footy, up to 4 finals, 3 origins and up to 5 test matches with the Four Nations tournament.

Sure, add another 5 games with a meaningless round-robin competition. The players aren't robots. If this got up they'd have to scrap test footy or shorten the NRL season. F*** that. This is exactly why the pre-season cup got axed.

Last edited:

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Who pays for all this? Travel to and from, not only for the teams but extended staff, as well as accomodation and everything else. I mean there will be some gate takings and a sports network will probably buy the package for a pittance. The carrot isn't big enough for the clubs to fund the shortfall, the WCC is a stretch already.

About as good an idea by Rusty as TOFOG...

I think that Crowe as a team owner is in a better position to comment on the financial viability of such an idea than yourself. If he believes he could make it worthwhile as Souths owner then I think that should count for something. Crowe represents what we need in league, people willing to put their money where there mouth is and he is well intentioned.

BunniesMan

Immortal

About as good an idea by Rusty as TOFOG...:sarcasm:
TOFOG is the greatest band in the history of the universe.

bileduct

Coach
Question...

After Spike TV showed the 2009 final series in the US, who picked up NRL for 2010?

What were the ratings like?

Lambretta

First Grade
This guy's a f*ckin genius really.

I love the idea, and I really like how he's included AMNRL clubs in the future. Hopefully this happens one day, and it leads to Rusty getting a bunch of investors together to turn the AMNRL fully pro. Imagine Denzel Washington owning a franchise in LA, or Jay-Z owning a franchise in New York. Rugby League could be a pathway for thousands of young gridiron players who have talent but don't make the NFL. It's about time we stopped underestimating our game and gave international expansion a real shot. If we showcase our game all over the world, sooner or later it's going to catch on somewhere. I love the idea of taking some quality test footy overseas.

I applaud Rusty. I was hoping he was thinking of American expansion one day, and it looks like he seriously is. He's one of the most important figures in our game right now.

If the UFC can catch on like it has with Boxing still being massive in the states, Rugby League can too.

QFT

I was going to type something so close to this that I may as well just quote you and claim these words as my own sentiments.

Let's stop being negative and start applauding Crowe for having ideas.

This represents the best opportunity to get League exposure in the US that I've heard. Let's face it - the game HAS to be played there for Americans to take notice. Americans wont take notice of anything that doesn't have an American connection. This satisfies that hurdle.

Loudstrat

Coach
He has cred - the Souths v Leeds game in Florida a few years back.

Without getting carried away with the idea, the possibility of player burnout being mentioned is a real one. League needs to consider this, and also be flexible to give it a real chance. IMHO do we need a Tri Nations every October/November?

As for Digital's ownership issue, These are better as community assets. A rich actor like Denzel or a chain store like Jay Z could be poison if they tire of these hobbies, and PHaC, Tribugof, Delmedge etc, proved that.

Mr Spock!

Referee
It could happen if there were financial incentives for players and clubs. What about $1 million prizemoney (at least) for the winning team and all match payments of the series don't go toward the salary cap. Imagine the sponsorship you could get in the US. I bet a lot of players won't complain to play an extra couple of games for $100 000.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
As a concept Russ le roq's idea has some credit. But it would take a massive overhaul of current scheduling for it to happen. And a lot of persistence and $$$, not just to make it successful but also, and probably more importantly for players and fans, to make it as prestigious as winning a 'domestic' premiership.

And if it did eventuate I'm not sure about the hairy crowe's idea about 2 pools of 8, why not a straight top 4 teams from the NRL playing the top 4 from ESL in a knockout situation.
Game 1 1NRL V 4ESL
Game 2 2NRL V 3ESL
Game 3 3NRL V 2ESL
Game 4 4NRL V 1ESL

Winners then play each other:
Semi 1: Game 1 winners V Game 2 winners
Semi 2: Game 3 winners V Game 3 winners
Then the final between the winners of the 2 semis.

Total 7 games, players only play 3 extra games maximum.

Apologies in advance if this idea has already been touted a thousand times before on this forum.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
As a concept Russ le roq's idea has some credit. But it would take a massive overhaul of current scheduling for it to happen. And a lot of persistence and $$$, not just to make it successful but also, and probably more importantly for players and fans, to make it as prestigious as winning a 'domestic' premiership.

And if it did eventuate I'm not sure about the hairy crowe's idea about 2 pools of 8, why not a straight top 4 teams from the NRL playing the top 4 from ESL in a knockout situation.
Game 1 1NRL V 4ESL
Game 2 2NRL V 3ESL
Game 3 3NRL V 2ESL
Game 4 4NRL V 1ESL

Winners then play each other:
Semi 1: Game 1 winners V Game 2 winners
Semi 2: Game 3 winners V Game 3 winners
Then the final between the winners of the 2 semis.

Total 7 games, players only play 3 extra games maximum.

Apologies in advance if this idea has already been touted a thousand times before on this forum.

Well,that's not good scheduling, and the thing is, if it involves more than one Australian side, then the WCC final will be a replay of the NRL GF.

Realistically it should be scheduled like this.

Week 1:
(A) ESL1 vs ESL4
(B) ESL2 vs ESL3

All NRL sides bye.

Week 2:
(C) Winner A vs NRL4
(D) Winner B vs NRL3

NRL1 and NRL2 bye

Week 3:
(E) Winner C (NRL4) vs NRL1
(F) WInner D (NRL3) vs NRL2

Week 4:

Winner E (NRL1) vs Winner F (NRL2)

jim_57

Staff member
Well,that's not good scheduling, and the thing is, if it involves more than one Australian side, then the WCC final will be a replay of the NRL GF.

Realistically it should be scheduled like this.

Week 1:
(A) ESL1 vs ESL4
(B) ESL2 vs ESL3

All NRL sides bye.

Week 2:
(C) Winner A vs NRL4
(D) Winner B vs NRL3

NRL1 and NRL2 bye

Week 3:
(E) Winner C (NRL4) vs NRL1
(F) WInner D (NRL3) vs NRL2

Week 4:

Winner E (NRL1) vs Winner F (NRL2)

Taking the piss?

It COULD be a replay of the NRL GF but who cares, it's more than likely not though, Wigan, Leeds, St Helens (maybe Warrington, Huddersfield) are good enough to win and even if it was an all NRL GF it's just as likely it wouldn't involv atleast one of the previous Grand Finalists.

RL1908

Bench
PHYSICAL TOLL EXACTS DAMAGE OFF-FIELD AS WELL
Posted on November 27, 2010 by Tribe13
Written by Sean Fagan for Tribe13.com.au

A concept for a post season eight-club World Club Challenge has been put forward by South Sydney owner Russell Crowe. Crowe reveals his American dream

Coincidentially, amidst the start of the Ashes cricket series, older rugby league fans have once again lamented that the game has let Kangaroos and Lions Ashes tours fade away into history.

Many will allege a lack of creative leadership, however at the root of the problem with any proposal for extra tours and tournaments is how and where you fit it into the season, given player burnout is self-evident to all who follow the game.

Rugby league’s biggest drawback is also its greatest asset – it’s physicality.

The game itself demands and exacts such a physical toll on those that play it, that excellent concepts/games, that otherwise would be big development/income-drivers for the code, clubs, and its players, can’t proceed – simply because of player burnout or risk of injury, and/or they do go ahead but without many of the top players, or in a less than ideal manner (viz. the WCC not being until the next pre-season).

In short, the game on the field works against the greater good of the growth of the code.

Low (or no) impact sports have decided advantage over rugby league when it comes to being able to fill an 11-month long calendar full of games and tournaments. At the other end the scale, American football has to restrict its regular NFL season to 17 weeks – anything longer is too much of a burden on the players.

Which leaves a conundrum for rugby league - if you alter the game on the field, then will people still want to watch it? Do you risk compromising its core values?

Yet players in past generations, even though holding fulltime jobs, sometimes played 2 games a weekend, and sometimes a mid-week game as well.

I’m sure today’s players would rather play than train. But of course, the way the game is played today, repeated doses of 2 matches a weekend plus a mid-week game would quickly ruin a career.

I’m probably a lone voice on this issue, but I really think there should be a serious study of the game undertaken, with the objective of evolving the game so that it still delivers the attributes we all desire to see, but come with far less physical burden and damage to those that play it.

That way extra games and tournaments that will help the game’s bottom line and development can become a realistic option.

Source: Tribe13.com.au