What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curran

Blair

Coach
I’m sure the mad butcher posted that he was staying put. Anything could have happened since he said that tho.
If the club listens to its supporters, then they'll keep him. It's been a gushing torrent of Josh-love ever since the announcement was made.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Cam George on SENZ this morning, they called Curran in and told him that after next year there won’t be a deal for him, so he is more than welcome to look for something now

nothing to do with salary cap, they have youngsters in that position that they want to bring through

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Cam George on SENZ this morning, they called Curran in and told him that after next year there won’t be a deal for him, so he is more than welcome to look for something now

nothing to do with salary cap, they have youngsters in that position that they want to bring through
Better to know than be blindsided I guess. And there are some really good juniors who could probably do a similar job he is doing currently as a bench backrower at probably half the price

Rich102

Staff member
Interesting. I wonder how potential new signings will view this? Sign on for the Warriors and then when they have a junior ready you get dumped.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Interesting. I wonder how potential new signings will view this? Sign on for the Warriors and then when they have a junior ready you get dumped.
As opposed to what though? Plateau in your position and be guaranteed a spot for life?

What you have mentioned is the formula for success, especially evident at Penrith.

Rich102

Staff member
I think Curran has been badly used. He has far more upside than many that have been persevered with. Don't know what's up with him & the coach but it needs fixing fast.

Leber

Bench
Dogs are prob a good option for him. Look like they might be finally on the way up and he'd have a good combo with Kikau.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Like most of us I was a fan and thought he had quite a bit of ability. However, the way he has been used throughout his time at the club has been a bit odd and suggests that for whatever reason coaching staff didn't entirely take to him.

Although 2023 was his best year in terms of playing a lot of games, it was also a step back for him in that he was given a very defined and quite limited role and was clearly seen as being behind less "talented" guys like Ford in the pecking order.

I think the fan desire for him to stay is premised on a hope that he will play a bigger role, a role that clearly the coaching staff are not interested in giving him. In those circumstances it's probably better for everyone that he leaves tbh.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I could be well off base here, but he seemed to me like a real asset in a struggling team, but someone who didn't do his best work in a team that was humming. Like he really seemed to relish the hard stuff and keeping his chin up when we were getting belted, but he seemed to slip into the background when we were dominant. Could be wrong on that. And hey, if was true, not a bad characteristic to have to be at your best when the chips are down.

I'm not well versed or in the environment enough to have an appreciation of whether he was used well or not well, if he's going to the Dogs because he wants to be back in Sydney and we won't stand in his way or what it is.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I could be well off base here, but he seemed to me like a real asset in a struggling team, but someone who didn't do his best work in a team that was humming. Like he really seemed to relish the hard stuff and keeping his chin up when we were getting belted, but he seemed to slip into the background when we were dominant.

Certainly agree he stood out more in a weaker team, although in terms of the style of player he is I'm not sure I would say he is someone who "relished the hard stuff". I could be misconstruing what you're saying though.

For me he was/is an attacking spark, someone who can run a good line, roam around, try to put on a pass or an offload and maybe create something in attack. Not really a workhorse or a metre eater.

When we were playing dull footy he stood out as a spark, but this year when we were playing high quality structured footy, he was a bit of an outlier or dare I say a luxury. He doesn't exactly fit the specific roles of an edge backrower (either a hole runner or a tackling machine) or a "middle forward" (either an extra prop, or an extra play maker).

Sometimes in really good sides a skillful player can end up on the outer because the good coaches want to play a very specific style and if you don't comfortably fit a defined role, you can miss out even if in a head-to-head comparison you're a better "pure" footy player than other guys in the team.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Dogs are prob a good option for him. Look like they might be finally on the way up and he'd have a good combo with Kikau.
He’s a proven performer in underperforming sides and I’d rather see him help lift the dogs than just end up another guy going to a premiership heavyweight.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
‘I was filthy’: Bulldogs forward reveals Andrew Webster bust-up during Warriors exit

Josh Curran has been one of the signings of the season this year after leaving the New Zealand Warriors under unceremonious circumstances to link up with Canterbury.

The forward has become a key part of the Bulldogs’ impressive pack, which has overcome their lack of height and power to constantly get the better of the opposition in the middle of the field.

Curran arrived at Belmore off the back of a hugely disappointing last season for the Warriors, despite the Kiwi club reaching a preliminary final during Andrew Webster’s first season in charge.

However, the 25-year-old didn’t see eye to eye with the rookie coach after being handed limited minutes throughout the campaign, which arrived predominantly off the bench.

Bulldogs forward Josh Curran reveals Andrew Webster bust-up during Warriors exit

"I was filthy about the year," Curran said while appearing on the Beyond Belmore Podcast.

"We did the season review and that was pretty tough. They said they weren't going to re-sign me after my deal ran out [in 2024].

"Everyone thinks I left because I was homesick. Yeah, I missed my family, but I’d started my career there and it was good there.

"We were coming off Mad Monday. We had the review like two days later, so I was hungover and listening to it like, 'What the hell’s going on right now!?'"

Curran detailed how the frosty relationship he had with Webster stemmed from his lack of involvement in games during the campaign.

After previously being told by the coach he would start in the backrow, Marata Niukore was subsequently recruited from Parramatta which pushed the one-time former Rooster down the pecking order.

Curran was reduced to limited stints on an edge, while also doing the occasional job in the centres as injury coverage.

"I remember he looked at me and asked what’s wrong. I said, 'You obviously don’t trust in me because if you did, I would have played a lot more minutes,'" Curran recalled.

"So, I looked at him and said I just want to go home to my family right now…it’s obvious you don’t want me here.

"He said, 'It’s not like that'. But I told him, 'I’m not dumb'. So, I told my manager and he said, 'Oh s**t'.

"But then we asked if I could go to market, and they gave us permission to talk to clubs."

Phil Gould and Cameron Ciraldo immediately came calling for the versatile forward as they continued to rebuild the Bulldogs alongside fellow summer recruits Stephen Crichton, Bronson Xerri and Connor Tracey.

"I signed the contract and then had to go back over and clean the house out and sell all of my stuff in New Zealand," Curran said.

"I said bye to the boys, all the coaching staff and I don’t think I’ve ever heard from 'Webby' so much in my life as when I left.

"It was every second day. But I was like, 'You didn’t want to help me before, so why help me now?'"

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
"I said bye to the boys, all the coaching staff and I don’t think I’ve ever heard from 'Webby' so much in my life as when I left.

"It was every second day. But I was like, 'You didn’t want to help me before, so why help me now?'"
I don't get this part. Sounds made up, why would Webby be blowing up his phone when he hasn't been picking him, they let him go, then he's out the door after the season and ringing him every second day?

hitro

Juniors
shame it didn't work out for him at Warriors, he is an excellent player who would have been helpful with some spark this year

Latest posts