What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutters team(s) this weekend

gangsouci

Juniors
Looks like Kyle is definitely gonna be bench hooker/utility.

"Illawarra Cutters Head Coach Ian Millward has named his line-up for trial fixture against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at Belmore Oval on Saturday.

The Cutters will field two teams for the encounter with the first contingent including ten players from the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Red Team
1. Jason Raper
2. Yaw Kiti Glymin
3. Peter Mata'Utia
4. Gerard Beale
5. Tyrone Cranston
6. Josh Drinkwater
7. Ryan Carr
8. Josh Ailaoma
9 Kyle Stanley
18. Rory O’Brien
11. Willie Mataka
12. Will Matthews
13. Mike Cooper
14. Joel Johnson
15. Blake Phillips
17. Charlie Faingaa
24. Matt Groat
25. Shannon Wakeman

White Team
1. Kyle Eather
2. Wayne Bremner
3. Nathan Smith
4. Junior Tia-Kilifi
5. Alipate Noilea
6. Jarrod Boyle
7. Sam Duggan
8. Jackson Merritt
9. Shane Pumipi
10. Benson Tupou
11. Kilifi Tia-Kilifi
12. Peni Botiki
13. Jake Leary
14. Sam Coster
15. Nathan Wynn
16. Chris Lewis
17. Jordan Hay
23. Dylan Strickland
24. Jacob Hind"

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Cutters-LineUp-Trial-2/90345

Smurf

Juniors
Looks like Kyle is definitely gonna be bench hooker/utility.

"Illawarra Cutters Head Coach Ian Millward has named his line-up for trial fixture against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at Belmore Oval on Saturday.

The Cutters will field two teams for the encounter with the first contingent including ten players from the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Red Team
1. Jason Raper
2. Yaw Kiti Glymin
3. Peter Mata'Utia
4. Gerard Beale
5. Tyrone Cranston
6. Josh Drinkwater
7. Ryan Carr
8. Josh Ailaoma
9 Kyle Stanley
18. Rory O?Brien
11. Willie Mataka
12. Will Matthews
13. Mike Cooper
14. Joel Johnson
15. Blake Phillips
17. Charlie Faingaa
24. Matt Groat
25. Shannon Wakeman

White Team
1. Kyle Eather
2. Wayne Bremner
3. Nathan Smith
4. Junior Tia-Kilifi
5. Alipate Noilea
6. Jarrod Boyle
7. Sam Duggan
8. Jackson Merritt
9. Shane Pumipi
10. Benson Tupou
11. Kilifi Tia-Kilifi
12. Peni Botiki
13. Jake Leary
14. Sam Coster
15. Nathan Wynn
16. Chris Lewis
17. Jordan Hay
23. Dylan Strickland
24. Jacob Hind"

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Cutters-LineUp-Trial-2/90345

Does any know information on the two Tia - kilifi
boys also any info on Peni Botiki

Any rising stars here ?

watatank

Coach
Botiki played World Cup for Fiji, maybe one game or two.

Junior Tia Kilifi is a former Panthers and Bulldogs player, I think he has a handful of NRL games under his belt. Don't know anything about the other one, I'm guessing they are brothers. They have another brother who is a young gun backrower and I thought we signed from Penrith but turns out is still at the Panthers.

Players to watch (apart from the NRL players) are the hooker Shane Pumipi and prop Rory O'Brien. Tyrone Cranston (winger) also handy

Last edited:

tumbidragon

First Grade
Why can't they just let Stanley play at 6 for the Cutters...
Prob because we (thank THEDuges) have a fair amount of depth in the halves atm. And seem to have a shortage of the same in the 9. Funny what can happen over an off season, when the opposite was true.

Rex Terp

First Grade
Botiki played World Cup for Fiji, maybe one game or two.

Junior Tia Kilifi is a former Panthers and Bulldogs player, I think he has a handful of NRL games under his belt. Don't know anything about the other one, I'm guessing they are brothers. They have another brother who is a young gun backrower and I thought we signed from Penrith but turns out is still at the Panthers.

Players to watch (apart from the NRL players) are the hooker Shane Pumipi and prop Rory O'Brien. Tyrone Cranston (winger) also handy

Yeah I got excited that it was the Penrith back rower too for a sec. He is a gun.

pinkmoon

Juniors
Groat only made the bench; I thought he was supposed to be tearing up the training paddock?!

I'm keen to see Boyle (Ex Dragons Nyc player) and Duggan go Duggan was one of if not the best country half in NSW last year both really good young players with alot of upside.

Having Carr and Wynn Millward certainly has alot of options taking out the fact he'll have Dragons players to choose from to.

Will certainly be a very strong squad.

chillwinston

Juniors
For those that were wondering.... I wasn't at the game, I was put to sleep early by the Dragons attack in the 9's..

Cutters Win In Wet Conditions
Saturday 15 February 2014 9:00 PM

Cutters Win In Wet Conditions
The Illawarra Cutters defeated the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 26-22 at Belmore Sports Ground on Saturday.
The Illawarra Cutters were bolstered by the addition of ten players from the St George Illawarra Dragons to their ranks for the second pre-season hit-out.
The Cutters overcame the wet conditions to gain an early lead and never relinquished it with a Tyron Cranston try in the corner in the second minute of play.
The visitors continued their good start when Ryan Carr extended their lead to 8-0 after diving on his own grubber in the in-goal.
The Cutters extended their first half lead through Shannon Wakeman who crashed over from short range.
Cranston was on hand to convert to make it 14-0.
However, the Bulldogs had a small fight back by the end of the first half managing to score a converted try in reply.
The Bulldogs started from where they left off in the first half and reduced the Cutters lead to 14-10.
The Cutters struck back when they needed too through a Nathan Smith try in the 55th minute.
Cranston converted the extras to make it 20-10.
The Bulldogs continued to fight back however, and reduced the Cutters lead to 20-16.
The visitors re-extended their buffer out to six through Sam Duggan’s efforts and the later conversion to Cranston.
A late Bulldogs converted try was awarded but it was not enough to stop the Cutters winning 26-22.
The St George Illawarra Dragons National Youth Competition team defeated their Bulldogs counterparts 44-20 in their earlier trial at the same venue.
The Young Dragons scored 11 tries in their second pre-season outing which was played over three stanzas in muggy conditions.

TheRev

First Grade
Ok it didnt click to me until I saw the game pics on Cutters Facebook

Looks like any fringe players not in the 9's were back home playing for the cutters: Stanley, Beale, Groat & Hunt from first glance, Hunt in particular wasnt named originally for the cutters.

Probably nothing in it, but id imagine these are the same names needing to prove themselves ahead of the season... you could imagine Stanley or Beale would have made decent 9's players.

chillwinston

Juniors
Looks like any fringe players not in the 9's were back home playing for the cutters: Stanley, Beale, Groat & Hunt from first glance, Hunt in particular wasnt named originally for the cutters.

Probably nothing in it, but id imagine these are the same names needing to prove themselves ahead of the season... you could imagine Stanley or Beale would have made decent 9's players.

Yeah I read somewhere at the end of last week that Stanley, Beale and co were left behind as they were all coming back from injury and didn't want to risk it at the 9's

We fielded two teams to the bulldogs one team and ended up just beating them. It seems the clean-out of the club needs to go through all grades.

bottle

Coach
We fielded two teams to the bulldogs one team and ended up just beating them. It seems the clean-out of the club needs to go through all grades.

Seriously? My God we can find a negative.
The fact that it was a trial, and we interchanged the teams up to the point that there would have been no cohesion or combinations doesn't count?

hardbaby

Coach

Completely disagree with that. We may not have the class players to tear it up in first grade. I guess time will tell. But we have a much better squad than last year and there will be serious competition for spots. I'm picking Cutters Top 4 and U20s to make the Top 8. To win both these trials is an excellent result. I feel the pain as much as anyone but credit where credit is due.