What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telegraph Article Today - Gallop For Expansion

Flapper

First Grade
It should go Perth and Rocky first, Adelaide and Wellington next.

If a Central Coast bid were to originate that didnt want to have North Sydney's colours, name, rivalry with Manly, and a game a year at NSO, I would support that.

dimitri

First Grade

If a Central Coast bid were to originate that didnt want to have North Sydney's colours, name, rivalry with Manly, and a game a year at NSO, I would support that.

why???

the afl has been successful by linking expansion clubs with older/foundation clubs - eg sydney swans (south melb), brisbane lions (fitzroy), Fremantle (Fre WAFL) etc

The NS link is a positive for the CC not a negative

Flapper

First Grade
why???

the afl has been successful by linking expansion clubs with older/foundation clubs - eg sydney swans (south melb), brisbane lions (fitzroy), Fremantle (Fre WAFL) etc

The NS link is a positive for the CC not a negative

No it's a negative. The CC want a team fully devoted to the Central Coast, not some half assed relocation with heritage, colours, names, rivalries tied to somewhere a coupe of kilometeres from the CBD.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
No it's a negative. The CC want a team fully devoted to the Central Coast, not some half assed relocation with heritage, colours, names, rivalries tied to somewhere a coupe of kilometeres from the CBD.

The club is a Central Coast team, the main office is based in Erina, players and coaches will be expected to live on the CC. The home ground is in the heart of the CC, the juniors will be CC players. Sounds like a CC team to me. Other than one heritage round match at NSO, It's a full relocation which has been made even more intensified and effective due to the Bears not being in the NRL for 11 years. If a current NRL club was relocated that what be the horror that you have described and it would be doomed to failure.

Having the old Bears fans up the road that will travel to the CC is a bonus and even more back up to tap into, it also cements how great the set up is.

Years into the future, because of the rapid growth the CC is undergoing, the corridor between the Northern outskirts of Sydney and the Southern areas of the CC will be even closer and basically one entity anyway.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee

Well where's a pure CC bid team then? I don't see one.

Loudstrat

Coach

Ok I'll tell Flo.............

Stupid git. You have NFI.

flamin

Juniors
The fact is the Central Coast is not big enough to support an NRL team alone. Its population is <300000 and while other regional centres may have comparable populations (Newcastle, Townsville) they draw on areas outside their city. The Central Coast must do the same.

Considering the area that the Bears bid would tap in to the huge advantages this bid has over a purely Central Coast bid are quite obvious.

The current bid team seem to be going about things the right way, holding on to past traditions but basing themselves on the Central Coast and seeking grass roots support from the locals.

Smiley

Bench
Ribot pushes for Ipswich NRL team

ARGUABLY the most divisive figure in rugby league, John Ribot, is one of the men behind a push for Ipswich to receive an NRL team.

The Brisbane Broncos foundation CEO, who is still despised south of the border for his role in Super League, has held several discussions with local politicians regarding the establishment of a team in the city.

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale and Federal MP Shayne Neumann both confirmed Ribot had approached them, inquiring whether there was government support for the team.

Ribot owns the Ipswich Jets Leagues Club and Jets president Justin Hunt works for Ribot's company.

“I know that John Ribot is very interested in establishing a team here and he has the experience to make it happen,” Mr Neumann said.

“He sat down with myself and Councillor Cheryl Bromage to discuss whether a team here was feasible and see how we could make it happen.

“He's the man for the job and I think a team here would be fantastic.”

Ribot admitted he would love to be involved in the formation of an Ipswich NRL team but was reluctant to become its leader.

“I think I'm getting too old to be a CEO again, but I would like to see the team happen,” Ribot said.

“I have spoken to people about it before and I think it would work.

“If there was a bid team put together I may be a part of it.”

Ribot became the foundation CEO of the Brisbane Broncos in 1998 and later the Australian Super League before moving south to set up the Melbourne Storm in 1998.

In 2004 he switched codes and was the inaugural CEO of the Queensland Roar and is currently a board director at Queensland Rugby League.

There are many people in rugby league who refuse to talk to Ribot because of his role in fracturing the game through Super League.

That competition was based on the premise of expanding rugby league to new cities.

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/07/16/ribot-nrl-ipswich/

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

And who built the stadium in Gosford and has been fighting for 11 years for the Cc-based team.

You moron. No wonder News Limited took this game over so easily.

dimitri

First Grade
The club is a Central Coast team, the main office is based in Erina, players and coaches will be expected to live on the CC. The home ground is in the heart of the CC, the juniors will be CC players. Sounds like a CC team to me. Other than one heritage round match at NSO, It's a full relocation which has been made even more intensified and effective due to the Bears not being in the NRL for 11 years. If a current NRL club was relocated that what be the horror that you have described and it would be doomed to failure.

Having the old Bears fans up the road that will travel to the CC is a bonus and even more back up to tap into, it also cements how great the set up is.

Years into the future, because of the rapid growth the CC is undergoing, the corridor between the Northern outskirts of Sydney and the Southern areas of the CC will be even closer and basically one entity anyway.

Agreed

Perth Red

Post Whore
If a 2nd NZ team could get Wellington AND Christchurch behind it, 9 games in Wellington, 3 in Christchurch, they could be bigger than the Warriors financially and in members.

LESStar58

Referee
North Sydney got shafted at the end of 99 and should be the first cab off the rank for expansion. For the life of me I still can't figure out why the Reds got the flick. The Rams should have been given the bullet instead but they were the plastic team in SL given that the News Ltd headquarters was in Adelaide at the time.

So Bears and Reds next and then it's a footrace for the remaining 2 spots but you can bet your last dollar that one or both of those teams will be from Queensland as either a 2nd Brisbane team (Ipswich, Redcliffe) or Central QLD.

Look, in my lifetime I'd like to see us have upwards of 20 teams representing all Australian states (with the exception of SA who I personally don't think offer much) along with another NZ team, a team in the NT and, infrastructure permitting, a PNG team.

otori

Juniors
An Ipswich/Western Brisbane/Logan team would go great in the NRL but Ribot needs to be kept far away from it.

Flapper

First Grade
A little snippet in the Terror today has Gallop talking up Adelaide as a place for strategic expansion.

Good boy.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
How about Gallop stops "talking it up" and actually comes out with a plan for the next 5-10 years.

Why can't the NRL announce who or what the next areas will be so they can plan and be ready whilst building the goodwill within in the sport. It's all BS, Gallop feeding the public vague statements whilst toeing the News agenda to maximise profit out of league.

Why the big secrets? Every other sport sprooks their growth areas from the roof tops, soccer, AFL and union but oh not us, why because it's all above board, of course it ISN'T.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
How about Gallop stops "talking it up" and actually comes out with a plan for the next 5-10 years.

Why can't the NRL announce who or what the next areas will be so they can plan and be ready whilst building the goodwill within in the sport. It's all BS, Gallop feeding the public vague statements whilst toeing the News agenda to maximise profit out of league.

Why the big secrets? Every other sport sprooks their growth areas from the roof tops, soccer, AFL and union but oh not us, why because it's all above board, of course it ISN'T.

We will never see a plan from this mob.

I know the IC could be in soon, but that shouldn't stop talk of a plan for the game. We need something.

Vague comments at luncheons are simply not good enough.

RedVee

First Grade

Hardly half arsed, 12 years in the making.
I think the North Sydney connection is the strength of the bid. Central Coast doesn't cut it on its own IMO.

bobbis

Juniors
I'd go with Perth and CC for 2013, both have bids on the table. Long term Brisbane is alot better option however we're some way off a concrete bid. I'd like to see a 2nd tier from which teams proposing to join the NRL can prepare themselves and where Sydney clubs that can no longer hack it can be demoted.