What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telegraph: Buderus, Simpson look elsewhere

Sugar

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22277622-5001023,00.html

Buderus, Simpson look elsewhere
By Dean Ritchie
August 21, 2007 NEWCASTLE'S horror season worsened with revelations captain Danny Buderus is poised to cut short his Knights contract and that rival clubs have begun circling star forward Steve Simpson.

The two Knights champions have been caught up in the current Newcastle crisis of sinking morale, with Buderus publicly questioning coach Brian Smith's methods and Simpson angry at the club's treatment of Kirk Reynoldson.

Buderus is under contract until the end of next season with an option for 2009.

But it now seems certain Buderus will quit Newcastle at the end of next season and finish his stellar career in England.

Buderus has always wanted to play in Super League but the developments at the Knights under Smith has only hastened his desire to leave Australia.

Simpson is also known to be unhappy with the club's current problems, which were reflected in an embarrassing 46-12 loss to wooden spoon favourites Penrith last Sunday at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

A Test and State of Origin player, Simpson this year rejected a rich offer from Manly to sign a four-year deal with Newcastle.

But rival NRL clubs have contacted Simpson's manager George Mimis to ask whether the back rower is happy and keen to stay at the Knights.

There is little chance of Simpson being allowed to walk out for 2008 but may consider asking for a release the following year if the dramas in Newcastle do not dissipate.

Buderus and his manager, also Mimis, met on Friday in Newcastle to discuss his future.

Smith and Buderus have spoken about a range of issues in recent days but it is known Buderus is still uncomfortable with the club's direction.

Asked whether Buderus wanted an immediate release, Mimis said: "There is absolutely no merit to the concept that Danny wants out, none whatsoever.

"He's contracted to the club ongoing and will continue to captain the Knights.

"But Danny does have an option for 2009 and has always held a desire to play in England.

"If the right opportunity presents itself for 2009, then Danny would certainly consider it."

Mimis confirmed clubs had called him to discuss Simpson's future.

"Steve has not expressed any interest in leaving Newcastle, although a couple of clubs have shown an interest should circumstances change," Mimis said. "If Steve was to become available, they said they would have an interest."

Knights chief executive Steve Burraston last night said his club wanted Buderus to take up the 2009 option and stay a Knight for life.

"We'd love Danny to finish his career here," Burraston said.

"But players do have in the back of their minds playing in England."

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wow, the Tele really do hate Brian Smith.

Note to Tele: GET OVER IT.

voltron

Juniors
Asked whether Buderus wanted an immediate release, Mimis said: "There is absolutely no merit to the concept that Danny wants out, none whatsoever.

"Steve has not expressed any interest in leaving Newcastle,

this article is a load of crap

The Colonel

Immortal
Great article...... Dean Ritchie wouldn't have much to write about if it wasn't for Brian Smith, however I think he has missed his caling and could be up there with the likes of Tolkien....

dice

Juniors
Neither Buderus or Simpson ever stated or insinuated they were looking elsewhere. Trash article.

Misty Bee

First Grade
So Danny has often thought about ending his career in England, but is now more determined to think about it?

I'm losing respect for Buderus over this. If he wants out, FFS ask for a release. I could cop one media whinge at his coach, but having an each way bet while destabilising the fans support of his club is sad. I have not forgotten his swipe at Graham Murray after Origin either.

Everyone involved in the club, bar Burreston, is carrying on like a pork chop. The fans whinged at Hagan for having similar results under a crippling injury toll in 05. Brian Smith cried when Parra gave him a hears notice that his contract wouldn't be renewed --then left mid season (thus emulating Jamie Lyon, who he also bagged). Now he is doing the same to Reynoldson. Reynoldson has been precious over his contract - have a chat to Brett Firman ffs Kirk. Bedsy and Simpson are in the press.

Buderus should be doing a Brett Kenny - happily hanging around to pass is considerable knowledge and influence onto the next generation.

Misty Bee said:
So Danny has often thought about ending his career in England, but is now more determined to think about it?

I'm losing respect for Buderus over this. If he wants out, FFS ask for a release.

Where in this article is Buderus quoted about asking for a release?

eels_fan_01

Bench
They always hammer Brian Smiths teams when they aren't in the top 8 so its no suprise, when they are in the top 8 you wouldn't know Brian Smith existed.

Misty Bee

First Grade
The Camden Leisure Pirate said:
Where in this article is Buderus quoted about asking for a release?

Nowhere. I'm saying that if he is so unhappy, he should ask for one, rather than threaten to think harder about moving to England in 3 years time.

Macca616

Juniors
As a moderator I thought you would know better than this. Danny said a few things weeks back which were made public. This article does not quote him as being unhappy - merely confirming that he has a contractual right to choose to play in England in 2009. Query how you can lose respect for someone to take up or consider an offer which he is lawfully permitted to do.

Stranger

Coach
Misty Bee said:

I'm losing respect for Buderus over this. If he wants out, FFS ask for a release. I could cop one media whinge at his coach, but having an each way bet while destabilising the fans support of his club is sad. I have not forgotten his swipe at Graham Murray after Origin either.

Everyone involved in the club, bar Burreston, is carrying on like a pork chop. The fans whinged at Hagan for having similar results under a crippling injury toll in 05. Brian Smith cried when Parra gave him a hears notice that his contract wouldn't be renewed --then left mid season (thus emulating Jamie Lyon, who he also bagged). Now he is doing the same to Reynoldson. Reynoldson has been precious over his contract - have a chat to Brett Firman ffs Kirk. Bedsy and Simpson are in the press.

Buderus should be doing a Brett Kenny - happily hanging around to pass is considerable knowledge and influence onto the next generation.
After reading the article, then reading this post, you would swear that Misty is Dean Ritchie :lol:!

Mr Saab

Referee
Misty Bee said:

Well lets see...Kenny passed on his considerable knowledge to the likes of Scott Mahon, Tulsen Tollett, Robert Muchmore, Andrew Firtzhenry, Danny Crnkovich, Michael Ericsson, Chris Lawler, Garen Casey....amongst a host of others.

Yeah they all thrived off Kenny

Bigfella

Coach

Then retiring and using every opportunity to sink the slipper into the coach, the club, the CEO, and anyone else connected with the club.

That's how the greats do it Danny!

omg as a knight support i can't wait till this seasons over. Might actually go a day without hearing about how much of a crisis the club is in. Seems to me just like another trash article by the tele-*rap.Next year will be a whole different story though, will have one of the better packs running around.