What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daine Laurie stood down

DanOz

Juniors
Even if it is true, it still doesn't justify making jokes about such a serious incident.

Thus, I stand by my comment. Surely you're all mature enough to know better.

Sorry mate - I misunderstood. I agree that domestic violence is not a subject to make light of.

nomarg

There was an article (I think when he got a Main Game spread) that talked about him "having trouble with the law". I vaguely remember it saying he may have served time (juvenile or briefly as an adult) but it may have just been lock-ups for minor, stupid stuff. Anyway, the crux of the article was that he was trying to "turn his life around".

Maybe someone still has or can find the article.

Yeah I vaguely remember this - I think he did time( briefly for minor offense from memory) if and I stress IF he is found guilty of assualt he would possibly go back inside.....

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Clubs were circling for great Daine

Potential ... Daine Laurie. Source: The Daily Telegraph
HE WAS being chased by three NRL clubs but Daine Laurie's league career is in tatters after the dreadlocked giant allegedly hit his girlfriend in the face during an alcohol-fuelled argument.
Wests Tigers are expected to sack Laurie next week after police arrested and charged the rising star with assaulting the mother of his two children in the early hours ofyesterday morning at his home in Leumeah.
Laurie was negotiating with the Knights, the Storm and the Warriors for season 2010, with the Tigers agreeing to release him from the final year of his contract - but the 110kg prop may end up on the rugby league scrapheap with all three clubs ending their interest in the Yamba junior yesterday.
Speaking last night, Laurie's manager Chris Haddad claimed his client called police to his home about midnight on Tuesday after he accidentally struck his partner in the face during an argument.
"It was all by accident,'' Haddad said. "It was a reflex action because she was going cranky. He put his hands up at her in self-defence.''
It is understood Laurie's partner of five years refused to give police a statement and suffered no major injury.
But the Tigers wasted no time standing down the league big man after being alerted to the incident by police.
"The board has made the decision to stand Daine Laurie down for an indefinite period,'' Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said.
"There is a need to allow the proper legal processes to run their course.
"But we also believe standing Daine down is the appropriate course of action considering the best interest of all parties concerned.
"The club is working with authorities on the matter and is committed to providing support and counselling to all parties.
"The club enforces a strict code of conduct for all of its employees and is totally opposed to any action that places the health, safety and wellbeing of any individual in jeopardy.''
Laurie has been on the outer with the Tigers all year, with his "carefree'' attitude and commitment to training a major concern for coach Tim Sheens and his coaching staff.
A player of enormous potential, Laurie has spent much of the year playing for Wests in the NSW Cup and was due to play in the club's semi-final at Leichhardt Oval this weekend.
"This doesn't come as a shock,'' said a Tigers insider.
"He has been a bit loose this year.
"He had loads of potential but unfortunately was a bit on the wayward side this year.''
Laurie burst on to the scene last year as a 24-year-old and quickly became a cult figure with Tigers fans.
His destructive charges cut a swath through rival teams but he was unable to nail down an NRL spot this year.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-for-great-daine/story-e6frexnr-1225775278175

tezzah1

Juniors
IMO any indiscretion involving any NRL club player and NRL club brought to the media spotlight is in more trouble than they think.

Spike

First Grade
Don't know what to say - I don't want anyone that has hit their Mrs playing for the Tigers, no matter who they are. The charge of Common Assault means that whatever happened, there was not a mark on her, or else the charge would have been Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm, so I'd like to know more about what he did before I make my mind up. Common Assault can mean he clenched his fists and she thought he was going to hit her, or he pushed her away etc. I am not in any way excusing ANY domestic violence, don't get me wrong, I'd just like to know more before I judge.

And those that say he has a criminal history already - what is it? What were the charges, what was the result at court? Like any internet forum, I suspect we have the usual suspects here who like to make out they know things when the reality is they don't know sh*te from clay.

police cadet or law student?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I just noticed the bit in the news article that WT had agreed to release him. Means presumably immaterial of whatever happens to Daine over the charges he is out of WT.

Replacements getting a bit scarce now for front row capable players. Common WT recruitment shock us and do the right thing.

69-05-41

Juniors
Laurie needs a new manager. Seriously, who would believe such a ridiculous explanation. Everyone knows that footballers' partners have Botox accidents and dabble in self-harm while their heroic boyfriends are somewhere else playing golf.

Bluebag

Juniors
His manager was telling the press what was in the statement made to the police that wasn't disputed by the ex or the police.

He called the police.
She was the one doing the abusing and he was on the phone when it happened.

Wait till the court hears what happened and until then it is better not to make any judgements.

Latest posts