What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dairy: Bad for you?

Geohood

Bench
WPI has very little lactose in it so should be fine, but yeah there's always soy protein isolate, it's a lower quality protein but it's still good.

I bought a kg of it but never again.... it tasted horrible and was really cluggy and a nightmare to clean :S

Cliffhanger

Coach
Yeah I only use soy protein isolate in baking and cooking. Use it instead of flour in omelettes, or fish cakes and in home made protein bars. I would never use it in a shake only WPI or WPC.

dogslife

Coach
I made the mistake of buying soy protein once, never again. The texture alone was enough to put me off

Geohood

Bench
Been having soy milk all year with the weetbix, and a cup of dairy milk after a workout sometimes so maybe 3 cups a week max which is a lot less then what I used to have of it... havn't had tonsillitis since, but have also had a multivitamin everyday, improved my diet and been working out all year so hopefully it stays away! So good to look back on the horror year and realise I havn't actually been too sick at all this year.

Tom Shines

First Grade
GOMAD is pretty effective for bulking if you can handle it.

I'm actually going half-mad (i.e, two litres a day, not including protein shakes), and it's certainly doing the job.

And you'd think so if you were consuming an extra 5600kJ, 64g protein, and 80g fat — and all for two bucks if you buy it from Coles/Woolies!

Geohood

Bench
Drinking 4L of milk a day on top of your diet makes me feel sick just thinking about it :s... Wouldn't you develop a massive stomach doing that?

Cliffhanger

Coach
Not if you train enough, you'll put on fat no doubt, but you'd gain fat with any type of bulking diet and once the month is over you just cut out the milk and will shed the excess fat in no time.

Tom Shines

First Grade
To be honest, it's not as difficult as I thought it would be, although I could never envisage doing 3.7 a day.

I'm definitely getting bigger, but of course I've gained fat as well (but as Cliffy said, that's part and parcel of any bulking diet). I'll keep going with it a bit longer and strip down closer to summer.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Been having soy milk all year with the weetbix, and a cup of dairy milk after a workout sometimes so maybe 3 cups a week max which is a lot less then what I used to have of it... havn't had tonsillitis since, but have also had a multivitamin everyday, improved my diet and been working out all year so hopefully it stays away! So good to look back on the horror year and realise I havn't actually been too sick at all this year.

im not sure, but be careful with soymilk. It promotes estrogen development in the body and may be counter-productive to building muscle

Geohood

Bench
Yeah I dunno.. I've still had it all year and have put on muscle but if you're right I would never know if my gains could be higher.

The info out there is very confusing and everything contradicts each other.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Most studies suggest that consuming soy protein is pretty safe unless, like most things, you are consuming huge amounts of the stuff.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Squats and milk!!

If a fair number of strength coaches advocate drinking a gallon of milk a day while training, I doubt it's doing you too much harm.

Cliffhanger

Coach
im not sure, but be careful with soymilk. It promotes estrogen development in the body and may be counter-productive to building muscle
It actually promotes estrogen production no more than regular milk courtesy of the hormones most dairy cows are fed.

Cletus

First Grade
It actually promotes estrogen production no more than regular milk courtesy of the hormones most dairy cows are fed.

Estrogen is in foods like Soy, I don't know too much about dairy but I'd say dairy cattle are more likely to be given progesterone, and milk causes increases in progesterone. Feeding cattle feed containing phytoestrogens (e.g. red clover) can stop them becoming pregnant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progesterone#Animal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoestrogen#Food_sources

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Estrogen naturally occurs in all of us anyway (males too). A little bit extra in your milk/soy won't have you growing d-cup bitch tits.