What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dairy: Bad for you?

Geohood

Bench
What about protein shakes? Aren't all whey powders and such dairy? What's the alternative?

roopy

Referee
What about protein shakes? Aren't all whey powders and such dairy? What's the alternative?
egg white or soy protein - or both together.
You probably should be careful your eggs are very clean if you are going to eat raw egg whites, because eggs that aren't washed well can cause food posioning (salmonella) if not cooked well.

League_God

Juniors
soy protein, pea protein, hemp protein are all very good. All have the necessary amino acids to make them a complete protein.
im yet to use hemp, but i gained about 26 kgs using soy protein over a period of 3 years. Pea protein is great too, i used that for about 6 months within those three years instead of soy just for a change.

egg white or soy protein - or both together.
You probably should be careful your eggs are very clean if you are going to eat raw egg whites, because eggs that aren't washed well can cause food posioning (salmonella) if not cooked well.
Besides, cooked egg protein is absorbed far more readily into the body than raw egg protein. It's something like 91% vs 65%, I'll check it out once I'm home.

JoeD

First Grade
and a serious disease called osteoporosis is caused by a lack of calcium in the diet.
Osteoporosis is waaaay overhyped.

The following taken from http://www.gilliansanson.com/articles/Blowing_whistle.htm

Dr Mark Helfand, a member of the U.S. National Institutes of Health osteoporosis consensus panel comments: “I think even people who agree that osteoporosis is a serious health problem can still say it is being hyped. It is hyped. Most of what you could do to prevent osteoporosis later in life has nothing to with getting a test or taking a drug.”

And what about the instructions to drink lots of milk, particularly while young? Ironically, osteoporosis incidence is highest in those countries where most dairy products are consumed — USA, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, the UK and Northern Europe. Most Chinese people eat no dairy products and get all their calcium from vegetables. Yet while they consume only half the calcium of most Westerners they have one of the lowest rates of hip fracture in the world. A recent review of 57 studies looking at dairy food and bone health concluded that "…the body of scientific evidence appears inadequate to support a recommendation for daily intake of dairy foods to promote bone health in the general US population." The famous Nurses Health Study in the U.S. followed the dietary calcium intake of 77,000 women over a 12 year period and found that those with the highest consumption of dairy products had the highest rate of fracture.

I also heard that Soy isn't good for men? Is that true?

This goes for dairy, soy or any food. No food is going to be 'good' for everyone. Everyone has different body types/tendencies.

roopy

Referee
Osteoporosis is waaaay overhyped.

The following taken from http://www.gilliansanson.com/articles/Blowing_whistle.htm

That goes against everything i've been taught on the subject.

It also goes against current practice by nutritionists. I work with nutritionists to do diet plans for patients sometimes, and they always stress the need for daily calcium, which generally means a few serves of dairy every day.

I'm not saying it's wrong, because things change pretty often as new studies are done, but that article doesn't agree with mainstream thinking on the subject - and it isn't a peer reviewed article - more an opinion piece.

JoeD

First Grade
I don't know Roops but obviously she quotes some of the studies that have been done. Did you read the whole article or just the bit I posted?

roopy

Referee
Thats a good reason to create an epidemic
People growing older and doing less physical work is causing the epidemic as much as anything.
It's a disease of old age, and there is more and more evidence that weight bearing exercise is as important as anything else in preventing it.
Bone density isn't something you can fake - it's very easily measured - or easy enough anyway.

You could also make an argument that increased use of anti inflamatory drugs has a big impact as well, because the most common types affect the way calcium is absorbed.

JoeD

First Grade
Bone density isn't something you can fake - it's very easily measured - or easy enough anyway.
Thats part of the problem. From the same article:
The main reason for the ‘epidemic’ turns out to be quite simply a change in the definition of the disease. Traditionally osteoporosis had been known as a condition where bones fracture as a result of little impact or trauma because they have become thin, brittle, and have lost tensile strength. But in 1994 the World Health Organisation changed the definition to a measure of low bone density (BMD) because new technology was available to measure this aspect of bone. Bone mineral density relates to the quantity not the quality of bone. It reveals nothing about the strength, micro-architecture, rate of remodelling, size or shape of bone – all factors which contribute to fragility.

Everyone naturally loses bone density as they age, but the new definition does not account for that. The standard reference norm on the bone density machines is that of a young woman, making it almost impossible for an older woman to have a normal diagnosis. Although extensive reviews of the evidence in the US, Canada, Sweden, Australia and the UK concluded that bone density testing does not accurately identify those people who will go on to break bones, the new definitions remains. In reality, the vast majority of the population never break their bones, and remarkably, people with higher bone density go on to have 63 percent of all fractures!

Shorty

Staff member
JoeD, what do you do as a job just out of curiosity?
The amount of uneducated bullsh*t you post is astounding.
I'm not even talking professional career, just in my personal life I know at least 5 women who have osteoporosis or low bone density.

How about actually finding an article that is well balanced instead of one with a quite obvious agenda.
I'm with Roopy, I'm not going to believe some lopsided article instead of 5 years of studying anatomy and physiology.

Anyway, Geohood....it sounds like you possibly have allergy reactions to milk..
I can't have it, I stopped milk and general dairy about 6 years ago after a process of elimination and I pretty much avoid anything 'whey' in copious amounts because I get pretty crook....which sucks because whey is the protein king.

But soy is adequate, I was never a huge fan of dairy anyhow.

Hadwin

Juniors
Yeah i am agree with all of you that poor dairy product can influence asthma problem and also some kind of allergies...
Dairy product are good only if these are fresh...

Cliffhanger

Coach
I need to give up milk because I've developed a lactose intolerance, it sucks because I love milk :(, but yeah feeling sick and bloated so much isn't all that fun and food is just fuel anyway.

At least yoghurt should still be okay. Most people who are lactose intolerant can still eat yoghurt because of the active bacteria in it, basically this will help your body absorb the lactose.

Cliffhanger

Coach

WPI has very little lactose in it so should be fine, but yeah there's always soy protein isolate, it's a lower quality protein but it's still good.