What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dallas Johnson

little_aza

Juniors
now i see why we signed lowrie - he aint no dallas but who is!! - lets hope bellamy works his magic again - or is there an u20's player who could play there?

as much as it hurts the best thing i think is to let dallas (28 next yr), lima (28 next yr), scott anderson (not worth whatever money he is on) all go - at dallas and lima's age we need to cut them now and keep room in the cap to keep young guns and sika and blair.

i think we have plenty of young guns coming thru so it sucks but with sika coming back, bromwich, proctor back, stuart coming on we will be ok.

a few posts ago i was filthy at the talk of DJ leaving. but now, after reading this, i must agree you're totally right.

Molly

Juniors
...at dallas and lima's age we need to cut them now and keep room in the cap to keep young guns and sika and blair.

i think we have plenty of young guns coming thru so it sucks but with sika coming back, bromwich, proctor back, stuart coming on we will be ok.

Both players are contracted if I am remembering correctly. I am amazed at the attitude we just cut players and disregard the contractual obligations we have with them. At their age..!! they are only 28. I argue they have 2 to 3 seasons of good football left in them, perhaps more if they are used properly going forward and if they want to keep playing.

Perhaps you meant to say if the players are wanting to move on / do other things with their life / etc and are seeking a release, this may be more palatable.

Finally, remember, Rugby League is played in the present, not in the future. Planning purely on potential is a very dangerous activity. A solid spine in the club is essential to its previous and fututre success. You need a really solid succession plan for the club, that would involve planning for when players come off contract. With salary cap issues and the like you just cannot cut players as costs remain on the books. Should'nt salary cap pressures kick in more so with re negotiating contracts.

The critical positions are covered, Fullback/Halfback and Hooker. Perhaps throw in 5/8 as well. Additionally Inglis and Hoffman make a really solid basis for the team to build around. I would argue you can almost throw anyone else in who is at worst dependable at their craft and the team will remain competitve. However they need someone to learn from and look up to. This is why I, like you, advocate promotion from within. If needs arise and a new strategy emerges, you can divert to a Brett Finch scenario for these unexpected situations, otherwise, keep it organic.

You don't need to sacrifice the present by continually planning for the future.

Play The Ball

Juniors
One thing the club has repeatedly got right,

Is our list management under a slary cap,

In fact we have been the best in the league at it by a long shot,

Especially in the Bellamy era,

I trust the clubs judgement in making the tough decisions .

MsStorm

Bench
Another article on DJ...apparently Storm are allowing him to be released but he has not asked for a release.

Surely the club will be treated this with some urgency as he will leave a big hole in the forwards.

We simply cannot rely on all of our top young players to come in and instantly make an impact.

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latest...-johnson-may-sign-off-with-storm/default.aspx

Agree with your post.

Just a little off-topic, and on player managers, that Mimis has to be the worst scoundrel of all. I wish he'd piss off to England and never comes back.

Younge

Juniors
I think it's just a case of a guy who's done everything he ever wanted to in the NRL and who wants to move onto the next stage in his life.

DJ maximised every ounce of talent he was given and ended up winning 2 flags, playing & winning SOO and playing for Australia. He's never going to win a Dally M so what else is there to play for?

From what I can tell, it seems highly likely he will go if he can secure a suitable deal. I think it's a win-win for DJ and the club and I feel very grateful for the magnificent service he has provided to the club and wish him all the best in Superleague.

I have every confidence that we will find someone else to fill this void just like we have with every other superstar who has left before.

Kells

Juniors
waldron just said on the radio if dallas asks for a release then he will get one. so its basically up to dallas - if he wants to stay he will, if wants to go he will (and after what cam said sounds like he wants to go)

will miss him but can only wish such a good guy all the best!

Drakken

Juniors
Just a rumour at this stage guys but i've heard a whisper the Storm are trying to do a swap with Catalans, Dallas Johnson for Greg Bird. Just wanted to get your thoughts on this if it's true. I think it would be an excellent pick up for the Storm and will certainly add to what is already an awsome team. If it does turn out to be true, even though I can't become a Mexican, I would certainly love to see you guys take out another title next year. I've been a big fan of some of the guys down there for a while now with Smith- Awsome hooker and an excellent captain, Slater- 2nd best full-back in the world, Cronk- Most under-rated player running around in the NRL and in my opinion the best half-back in the comp, and Inglis- The best player in the world, best full-back in the world, best centre in the world and best winger in the world. Doesn't matter where he plays, he's still the best. I'm also a huge fan of Bird, so if you guys were to pick him up you would have my favourite 5 players in your team. Congrats on this year by the way, I would've hated seeing Parra win the big one.

ortz18

Juniors
There is no way that we would pick up Greg Bird. Would look terrible on the club. He would also command more money than Johnson and the reason we are offloading Johnson is to free up the cap.

Drakken

Juniors
There is no way that we would pick up Greg Bird. Would look terrible on the club. He would also command more money than Johnson and the reason we are offloading Johnson is to free up the cap.

I don't think looks would have anything to do with it and as for salary I am sure he would be happy to earn what Johnson is earning to break back into the NRL.

Noa

First Grade
Just a rumour at this stage guys but i've heard a whisper the Storm are trying to do a swap with Catalans, Dallas Johnson for Greg Bird. Just wanted to get your thoughts on this if it's true. I think it would be an excellent pick up for the Storm and will certainly add to what is already an awsome team. If it does turn out to be true, even though I can't become a Mexican, I would certainly love to see you guys take out another title next year. I've been a big fan of some of the guys down there for a while now with Smith- Awsome hooker and an excellent captain, Slater- 2nd best full-back in the world, Cronk- Most under-rated player running around in the NRL and in my opinion the best half-back in the comp, and Inglis- The best player in the world, best full-back in the world, best centre in the world and best winger in the world. Doesn't matter where he plays, he's still the best. I'm also a huge fan of Bird, so if you guys were to pick him up you would have my favourite 5 players in your team. Congrats on this year by the way, I would've hated seeing Parra win the big one.

He'd have to spill the beans to the board about what happened, but Bird would be a GREAT 13 for us.

Would rather his left leg then Watmough. Has everything you want in a loose-forward.

Noa

First Grade
And if the Melbourne media act all righteuous Id ask them hows the investigating into Carltons rape allegations is going.

Kells

Juniors
noa posted on the signings thread that dallas johnson has left the storm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...New-team-is-a-capital-plan.html#ixzz0W4z38VHp

"MEANWHILE Catalans have signed the Melbourne Storm tackling machine Dallas Johnson for 2010. The 25-year-old loose-forward replaces Jason Ryles, who is joining Sydney Roosters"

sad to see him go but next yr he will actually be 28 and we need to keep young stars and release players getting close to 30 like we have been doing the last few yrs. lets hope lowrie steps up!

Noa

First Grade
Thanks for the memories Dal, if it is true your going. When you take in the era and the size of athlete he is coming up against, possibly the purest tackler in the modern era.

Couple of images that some him up.

NRL+Rd+11+Bulldogs+v+Storm+cpUd1uppkKNl.jpg

NRL+Rd+3+Cowboys+v+Storm+2hCU_S5LcF9l.jpg

0,5001,5555112,00.jpg

307246-dallas-johnson.jpg

MsStorm

Bench
Just wish we had a chance to farewell him at our last game at olympic park in a manner he deserved.

I do remember a moment straight after gf when the cameras closed on him and he actually looked sad, and I wondered why.

Yeah, thanks for the memories Dallas, one of the alltime greats of the Storm....and good luck with your new club.:thumn

Evenflow

Bench
He will be 28 next year, but he's only 26 atm and won't be turning 27 for another couple weeks so he still has another full season til he gets to 28 and a few more good years in him yet. He's been brilliant for you guys and will be missed next season but that said the Storm have the uncanny knack of replacing players and i'm sure this will be no different.

Man...that is a big hole to fill.

IMO the guys was always in the top 3 performers at the Storm.

I would be potentially shifting Proctor into his spot...the Proctorcoligist plays a similar game.

Latest posts