What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M a Poor reward for Footballers

TheEye

Juniors
Wet Cat and Cheese said:
Minichello has the worst year in his career,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You do know he ahs been playing for longer than 2 years don't you?

Seriously - he may not have had as good a year as last year.... but the worst in his career??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

mightybears

Bench
the sun herald could bring back its player awards [3-2-1, points in each match] in conjunction with the other fairfax papers in nsw [not just the smh] and even do it with the canberra times or channel 7 or 10

at least we will have the other side of the print media having a go
and another thread to complain about who they picked

PB

Bench
I agree with St Gilla and everyone else, except to go one step further and say that because the points are awarded on a game by game system it can mean that a player who played ok in a rubbish game is awarded the same points as a standout out player in the match of the round.

Get a panel of 12-20 judges who watch every game over the weekend to allocate say a top 10 of the week each. The 3 or four players who walk away with the most votes from that become the vote getters for that round. rotate judging panel to incorporate as many knowledgable people as possible.

Razor

Coach
Only have the 3 points - 3,2,1

But stuff the journalists running the official reward. The Dally M should go back to what it was between 1983-1996 - a News Ltd reward only, not official. The official reward should go back to being voted on by the referees. The players could have an MVP as well. In fact several years ago there was going to be MVPs introduced(2002 I think) but that didn't happen. Don't know the reason.

elili

Juniors
What about a system where the captains from each team each nominate a 3-2-1 points system for the other team in each game, a bit like what happens in touch football.

The only big weakness I can see aside from the 3-2-1 system is that a team will still get the same amount of points if they got pumped as the team that thrashed them.

The Rugby League Week system is most probably the best with rankings for each game. It rewards consistency. But it doesn’t really reward stand out performances very well, i.e. the difference between a stand out 9 and a solid 7 is only two out of total that will go close to 200 by the end of the season. In a 3-2-1 system the standout is probably going to be 3 or 2 points compared to the solids 0 out of a total that rarely goes above 30. A suppose its a question of what should be rewarded? Consistency or standout performances and then picking a system that favours one.

Maybe Packer and Nine should turn the Rugby League Week awards into something bigger? ala around/together with the footy show awards???

elili

Juniors
Get a panel of 12-20 judges who watch every game over the weekend to allocate say a top 10 of the week each. The 3 or four players who walk away with the most votes from that become the vote getters for that round. rotate judging panel to incorporate as many knowledgable people as possible.

The best idea so far I think, but how are you going to get that many people to be judges? Maybe if you make it a bit prestigious and sort of a once off for lots of different ex-players and coaches? 12-20 might still be asking a bit much for each week.

The only other thing is there isn't going to be many points awarded over the course of the year, and again it will most prob. favour halfbacks.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
melon.... said:
Matthew Oneill should decide who gets the points....after all he is teh most unbiased and knowledgeable "journo" that ever put quill to paper.

HAHA is that guy still alive??

Broncodroid

Juniors
I am not going to debate the 'fairness' of the Dally M award...

I will say this...A player of the calibre of Darren Lockyer, Danny Buderus, Andrew Johns etc. will take an award from his peers before taking something subjective to the media and fans.

Take from this what you will...