What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M Night - Your thoughts

This Year?

Immortal
Didn't watch it. Instead did a speed run on RE4R and after reading the thread I know I made the right choice.
PS Khan-Pereira's +1 is soooooooooo hot ❤

That's not enough.

He's the greatest coach of all time.

Is there an award for that? If not, let's create one and name it in his honour and give it to him in perpetuity.

Greatest coach of all time? B/S. I'd nominate both Jack Gibson and Wayne Bennett in front of him. Gibson never lost a GF as coach, winning 5 out of 5. Even taking out Super League from the equation, Bennett coached his teams to 6 Grand Final wins in the NSWRL/NRL from 7 attempts.

I'd even say possibly Norm Provan ( 4 GF wins from 4 attempts) and Ken Kearney (5 GF wins from 5 attempts) may be better than Cleary as a coach. Cleary' coached teams have played in 5 NRL Grand Finals to date (the Warriors in 2011, and the Panthers in 2020-23) and only won 3 of them.

Also, unlike Cleary, both Bennett and Gibson coached their respective teams to win the World Club Challenge, something he has yet to do.

He may surpass both of them by the time he finishes his coaching career, but to call him the "GOAT" at this time is ridiculous.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Penrith played likes busted arses compared to previous seasons, and finished four points from the MP. Why would Cleary deserve coach of the year this season?

Apey

Staff member
Best player won it. I thought they'd give coach to Ciraldo. I think they should aim to give it to the most improved otherwise it may as well just be whoever finished Minor Premiers. Which I guess is what they do anyway... except this year.

They need to waste less time interviewing their fellow fox sports panelists like Mal though and even Coote, the night isn't about them. Interviewing the people who are handing out the awards is bizarre stuff.

dogslife

Coach
Individual awards are overrated anyway.

Nathan Cleary is the closest thing we have to Clive Churchill, Dally Messenger, Wally Lewis, Andrew Johns and Jesus Christ all rolled into one that's ever existed, and he's never even won a Dally M.

Best player won it. I thought they'd give coach to Ciraldo. I think they should aim to give it to the most improved otherwise it may as well just be whoever finished Minor Premiers. Which I guess is what they do anyway... except this year.

They need to waste less time interviewing their fellow fox sports panelists like Mal though and even Coote, the night isn't about them. Interviewing the people who are handing out the awards is bizarre stuff.

Even with the "In memoriam" piece they did. I don't have a problem acknowledging players, referees, coaches, fans, and even media who've passed away but it should always start and end with players. It shouldn't end with media who've passed like it did last night (and those who were there were all highly liked and respected). At the end of it, this is about the players.

no name

Referee
Even with the "In memoriam" piece they did. I don't have a problem acknowledging players, referees, coaches, fans, and even media who've passed away but it should always start and end with players. It shouldn't end with media who've passed like it did last night (and those who were there were all highly liked and respected). At the end of it, this is about the players.
Is it but? It’s a news corp event, the NRL are just too lazy to do their own.

Latest posts