What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M's called off

Kaz

junior
The NRL have called off the Dally M awards, because of the threat of the players not going to it.

The blackmail threat backfired. :?

What will the next threat be, I will not go on the Kangaroo Tour. :lol:

kingkerry

Juniors
:shock: :-({|= Calling it of doesnt effect the players half as bad as it going to hurt the admin of the league Fancy not being competent enough to broker a deal with a bunch boof heads. It sort of says a lot as to were rugby league is heading in this country ](*,)

Kaz

junior
kingkerry said:
:shock: :-({|= Calling it of doesnt effect the players half as bad as it going to hurt the admin of the league Fancy not being competent enough to broker a deal with a bunch boof heads. It sort of says a lot as to were rugby league is heading in this country ](*,)

We will be the laughing stock once again.

I don't hear the whinging players say I will take a paycut to help the younger ones.

They just grab the bulk of the money & when whinge about the younger ones pay.

But hey, if their club says we can't pay you what you want, they threaten to go to another club.

Razor

Coach
The NRL doesn't gain anything from the night - it costs them money to put on. They put it on for the players and to reward them for the season, and then the players threaten to boycott it. Won't harm the NRL at all.

kingkerry

Juniors
Yeah i have a few contractors that work for me were they have set rates of pay if the job is larger genarely we will charge the customer less. bigger job slidding scale on money for everyone . And i always get complaints from the idiots whom i soon give the arse. Funny thing is when were doing smaller jobs i always pay the boys more. ive never had 1 of them yet come to me and say kerry you payed me to much on this job or i dont deserve this much money kerry heres $100 back. i NEVER FRIGGIN HEAR IT LOL :lol: :lol: :badgrin: :badgrin: Ive solved all my problems now with clarity Not to say i wouldnt listen to any of there concerns about things and revise things if thought nescarry [-o<

the_knights_rule

First Grade
dammit! i was really looking forward to the dally M's this year :evil:
so does that mean that no one will be the dally m player of the year this year? its a shame and id be more angry if joey couldve won it but i doubt he wouldve won it this year seeing as he has been out for lots of games

gjg

Juniors
It is a load of crap, hold the bloody night even if it is just as a telecast on Fox. We the fans are what makes the game as great as what it is, and both parties have let us down badly.

We have followed the tally every week this year, we have speculated after it went behind closed doors, we have voted for the Proven-Summons.

While players want certain things, the NRL doesn't want them to have it, we are all left in the lurch.

Just my views on the matter.

Razor

Coach
the_knights_rule said:
so does that mean that no one will be the dally m player of the year this year? its a shame and id be more angry if joey couldve won it but i doubt he wouldve won it this year seeing as he has been out for lots of games

Yes. No awards will be awarded this year. First time in 35 years, there will be no official player of the year.

knightsgal85

Juniors
Razor said:
Yes. No awards will be awarded this year. First time in 35 years, there will be no official player of the year.

In other words, because the Dally M Awards night has been cancelled, this in turn constitutes that none of these awards will ever be awarded for the 2003 season. So I guess this therefore means, we will never know who actually won any of the awards, especially the prestigious award of them all, the Dally M Player of the Year.

Thanks for the confirmation Razor, as I was a little unsure whether the cancellation of the Dally M Awards night would be associated with the awards never being distributed. The thought did cross my mind, but I was not entirely sure, just like the_knights_rule.

The year that Andrew Johns was for certain not going to get the Dally M Medal Player of the Year award, they call it off. It's a shame in a way, as I would have loved to see Craig Gower, Brett Firman or Clinton Schifcofske win this presitgious award.

astrogirl

First Grade
Razor said:

That IS a shame. Unlike knightsgal85, it hadn't occured to me that this would mean that no one would be the Dally M player of the year - I just assumed that this meant that the award would not be physically presented at an event but that someone would still be the player of the year in the various categories.

How sad it will be in the future when we look at the winners in each year, only to arrive at 2003 to find an empty slate...

knightsgal85

Juniors
astrogirl said:
How sad it will be in the future when we look at the winners in each year, only to arrive at 2003 to find an empty slate...

I absolutely agree astrogirl. No Dally M Medal awards due to the debate over 'money' is quite sad. I think it would be appropriate that the Dally M awards are still distributed to the players that won, even though the awards night has been cancelled due to these circumstances. Now, we will not recognise the players that have performed so well this year, in the traditional way we have done over many years. I was so looking forward to see which player would have won the Dally M Player of the Year Medal this year. Oh well.

princess plj

Juniors
knightsgal85 said:
astrogirl said:

I absolutely agree astrogirl. No Dally M Medal awards due to the debate over 'money' is quite sad. I think it would be appropriate that the Dally M awards are still distributed to the players that won, even though the awards night has been cancelled due to these circumstances. Now, we will not recognise the players that have performed so well this year, in the traditional way we have done over many years. I was so looking forward to see which player would have won the Dally M Player of the Year Medal this year. Oh well.

i agree with u all about how we are not going to know who got the awards.....but u know ppl are saying how its all abuot money, but think about it, its the players of the present who are fighting for the players of the future and for them to give up or to boycott the awards is a huge step in showing how the players are sticking to what they believe and that is fair pay for the players of the future.

MC DUI

Juniors
Sounds like the NRL is cutting off their nose to spite their face :evil:

Its like that episode of Seinfeld where George thinks his girlfriend is
going to break-up with him so he breaks up with her first to get more
'hand'. :lol:

Kaz

junior
Razor said:
the_knights_rule said:

There was no award for player of the year in 1997.

antonius

Coach
gjg said:
It is a load of crap, hold the bloody night even if it is just as a telecast on Fox. We the fans are what makes the game as great as what it is, and both parties have let us down badly.

We have followed the tally every week this year, we have speculated after it went behind closed doors, we have voted for the Proven-Summons.

While players want certain things, the NRL doesn't want them to have it, we are all left in the lurch.

Just my views on the matter.

I would much rather they boycot these awards than not play the finals series. It's not all about money, they are trying to guarantee their contracts ie:- no more Northern Eagles rip offs, where guys like Adam Muir, Fairliegh are still waiting for money owed them. I don't blame the players one bit, it's time they took a stand to improve the lot of ALL players. The NRL have known about these grieviances for months and done sod all about it, now they're painting the players as the villans of the piece, well sorry Mr Gallop you aint fooling me.

misty

Juniors
I'm with the players on this one, There has to be a fairer system than this even though the big names in league deserve a big wage as they have earned it through hard work the lesser players [if I can call them that] should get a decent amount of money SO they don't have to cheat on the DOLE :lol: :lol:

Grantwhy

Juniors
Razor said:

I wonder how that will affect any betting that has been done on the Dally M's :oops:

Razor

Coach
Kaz said:
There was no award for player of the year in 1997.

Yes. Brad Fittler won it. The Provan-Summons medal was awarded to the best & fairest that year.

Latest posts