What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damage to our reputation

Magpies Forever

Juniors
How much damage do others consider has been inflicted on our reputation? I feel we have been badly damaged.

Immaterial of the rights and/or wrongs of the on-going Farah saga, the continual turmoil of coaching futures, lack of success, players who want to win leaving eg Taupou and probably Austin, the home ground merry-go-round, being in hoc to the NRL, the salary cap continuing to hamstring recruitment and retention, Matt Lodge's New York meltdown, just to name a few things.

I know many of these things are in the process of hopefully being fixed but this will take time. I'm not too sure the club has much time left. Isnt it 2017 the NRL will announce expansion plans? I feel WT are in danger of being forced elsewhere as an expansion club or totally out. We do not seem to be on solid ground at the moment.

Its just a fear, but it keep recurring to me everytime I see something bad in the media concerning my team.

coolsteve

Juniors
soon as you sacked Potter lunatics running the asylum. why any coach or player would sign with your club is beyond me. btw, not trolling

macnaz

Staff member
We have had a shitty reputation for years , so its a case of bad to worse. I think the players have to take some of the blame as well because winning sides put a lot of bad press to bed . I realise that we dont nessasarily have the comps best roster but sides like Saints and Manly havnt had either but putting in on the field each week builds a culture , players bitching and below par efforts feeds drama. I just hope the playing group can get on with their own personal efforts this year and not let the inept management distract them from there achievements on the field . As I have said before , true champions play for more than money and contracts alone . Self pride , family , jersey and fans need to be part of it all as well.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree MF. But individual player indiscretions and departures get forgotten quickly.

The handling of the Farah situation did immense damage.

Club shows no loyalty to its most loyal player. Treats him like shit. There are much more professional ways this could have been handled, but every step and aspect of this saga was done so amateurish.

That whole debacle is what keeps businesses from sponsoring us. It keeps elite players from signing (and staying) with us.

Its the whole operation of the club. Changing staff hasn't fixed the problem.

It all started imo when we re-signed Gibbs for 3 years and then a few months later released him. Since then we have made the same dumb mistakes more than once despite different coaches and different management

macnaz

Staff member
So MU , like I said there are 17 players out there and they have to be above all the BS . It would be very hard I know ... BUT take the storm playing for zero points , that wasn't an excuse for them to give less than 100% . If our players use the crappy run club as an excuse we may as well fold or relocate now because that crap being our management isnt going to improve overnight.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree mac.

But thats where experienced players come in handy.

We don't have many of those snd we just tried to rid ourselves of thd mosf experienced.

Exsilium

First Grade
I would like to see the Tigers, as an organization, actually stick with a plan for more than 12 months.

Farah is a thorn in the side and will always be. Quality player or not his talents are equal to his problematic attitude toward officialdom. Players play and coaches coach, harp on about Taylor all you like but bad attitudes are contagious. It's no surprise players have left and sided with Farah because that's how deep this wound goes. The leader of the ship cries foul and the crew follow. Any player who undermines the coach, the organisation and it's fans by influencing change because they think they know better or don't like being second in charge is not deserved of loyalty.

Yes, he has done plenty. Deserves recognition for his achievements but the club saw him as an issue, the coach saw him an as issue and they tried to rebuild the club. Now all that's happened is the disgruntled player has won the battle and all respect and credibility is gone. His departure was more about the club moving on then ridding themselves of a quality player. An opportunity to show strong leadership has been foiled yet again by player pressure. Look at Penrith, Lewis and co ran the joint, best mates with Elliott and they all enjoyed years of mediocrity together. Removed those guys and the coach and look at their club now. U20's , nsw cup and first grade all showing marked improvement on many levels.

Firing potter was by far the worst decision of all. Allowing Mayer to work for your club and make important decisions despite his appalling track record was a close second.

Then on top of all of this you have fans divided into tigers and magpies with a sprinkle of people aligned with the joint venture who support the club irrespective of the make up.

Seems the clubs been destined for difficult times.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't believe Farah has been behind Sheens or Potters departure.

I do believe he wants Taylor gone though.

The previous 2 let him play his natural game.

Taylor is a one trick pony, game plan wise. And his game plans do not involve attacking football which is detrimental to Farah.

Farah still plays according to coach instructions though.

Potter was going great and should have been given this year to see if the hard work wouldve paid off.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I would like to see the Tigers, as an organization, actually stick with a plan for more than 12 months.

Farah is a thorn in the side and will always be. Quality player or not his talents are equal to his problematic attitude toward officialdom. Players play and coaches coach, harp on about Taylor all you like but bad attitudes are contagious. It's no surprise players have left and sided with Farah because that's how deep this wound goes. The leader of the ship cries foul and the crew follow. Any player who undermines the coach, the organisation and it's fans by influencing change because they think they know better or don't like being second in charge is not deserved of loyalty.

Yes, he has done plenty. Deserves recognition for his achievements but the club saw him as an issue, the coach saw him an as issue and they tried to rebuild the club. Now all that's happened is the disgruntled player has won the battle and all respect and credibility is gone. His departure was more about the club moving on then ridding themselves of a quality player. An opportunity to show strong leadership has been foiled yet again by player pressure. Look at Penrith, Lewis and co ran the joint, best mates with Elliott and they all enjoyed years of mediocrity together. Removed those guys and the coach and look at their club now. U20's , nsw cup and first grade all showing marked improvement on many levels.

Firing potter was by far the worst decision of all. Allowing Mayer to work for your club and make important decisions despite his appalling track record was a close second.

Then on top of all of this you have fans divided into tigers and magpies with a sprinkle of people aligned with the joint venture who support the club irrespective of the make up.

I have to point out that the very small number of people still holding this grudge would number in the hundreds, perhaps a couple of thousand at best.

They are given attention far in excess of the numbers they actually weild, and are of a mindset that nothing would satisfy short of a return to what is dead and buried.

Focusing on regaining the trust of the Wests Tigers fans that are the vast majority of the groups you mention needs to be the sole focus of the club, with the bitter remnants cast aside in order to properly move on with fixing the mess and delivering stability and success on and off the field.

A cut here and a change there simply makes it worse, and regardless of the actual situation, until Farah and Taylor are gone, this is simply going to be an ongoing series of media rumours and sniping.

Blackdiamond

Juniors
100% - well written. Sums it all up perfectly!

Wizardman

First Grade
Lets face it….our club has never been run very well. Only some smart recruiting and the greatest coaching performance in rugby league history by Tim Sheens has papered over some cracks which have always been there. Sheens has had some ups and downs, but the stars well and truly aligned for him in 2005 and he needs to take a huge slice of the credit for that. The sad thing was…our downfall also started with Sheens.
We have had worse playing years (Terry Lamb era) but our reputation has never taken a bigger hit than the last two years. Our management has been an utter disgrace and I don’t see a way out anytime soon.

214Four

Juniors
There is quite afew issues with the tigers club at the moment as we all know, I think the biggest areas the club needs to focus on is its professionalism and strengthening of it's brand. An easy way to start making positives turns on these issues is the club to look at how it physically portrays itself to the public, and the easiest way to portray professionalism is with team jerseys, the logo etc, kit supplier.

At the moment the tigers have one of the worst jersey designs in the nrl, and this is the case every year. They keep coming out with kits that look more like touch footy jerseys with no class or heritage to them and it's crazy they're kit designers can keep f**king it up (I no the management also are at fault for this ) when wests tigers have two of the best templates to work off (the balmain and WS jersesys).

My impression of The WT logo, is that it looks outdated and too much American franchise like. The two clubs are foundation clubs but You wouldn't know that looking at the WT logo, it wouldn't look out of place for a team like GWS to be using... Canterbury bulldogs' logo redesign a couple of seasons ago is a perfect example of how to use a clubs history and combine it into something that appeals to today.

Below I did a quick redesign of the WT logo incorporating alittle bit more of both WS and balmain history. What do people think?

980A7B70-9AD7-4B6F-ADF8-D4092B235310_zpscwyvarov.jpg

To put it simply our club has been a basket case since its inception,factional infighting from the board festered for way too long which allowed other issues to arises, when ignored those issues eventually crueled our clubs reputation,finances and credibility.
If ever there is a blue print of what not to do in business it would have to be the WT
management from 2000-2015,maybe they could simply do the opposite to turn things around...!

214Four

Juniors
^^
Haha just picture the board meetings...

CEO - " Mr 'A' our records show that after yours truely you infact had the higest number of incompetence citations in 2015, so that makes you perfect for this role...
I need you to tell me exactly How you would you fix **** ******* ***? "

Board member 'A' - '' I believe the best way is to *** *** ***** "

CEO - " brilliant mr 'A', now team you know how it works... break down every part of what me 'A' said, come up with complete opposites for each, then compile it into the actual Idea we will use and have it on my desk no later than 10am tomorrow. "

Tigerted

Juniors
This dysfunctional club has a lot more things to deal with than the jersey.Right now the biggest prob facing WT is long term survival in Sydney.

We are providing the Mercenary & contemptible NRL with an abundance of reasons to fk us of to another part of OZ.

Geez we've had some cowardly dopes & self centred impostors in significant decision making roles @ this club like humphreys , mayer & Noyce who came up with that clanger after winning comp in '05 that we would become the man utd of the nrl.

If our club is run into the ground then relocated with these Nrl selected board members now on our committee you would have to then think that it is a deliberate ploy,how else can their support for Taylor be explained...?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
All those years the die hards on both sides were bickering and fighting against each other, only for the NRL to be the ones to f**k them over.

Maybe it's what's needed to get some unity within the club.

Tigerted

Juniors
The divided, juvenile & self centred boards we've been lumbered with over the course of WT's history have been unforgivably culpable re WT's perilous state.

Combining the infantilism of the dickhead board members with the monumental stupidity of the 3 stooges humphreys Mayer & Noyce it's a wonder we haven't become obsolete.

Geez how we need Pascoe to be a hard arse, principled & streetwise miracle worker.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I think 2016 will be a make or break season for WT located in Sydney. NRL expansion plans are on hold but the league remains open to a Sydney team relocating- whether that is voluntary or involuntary, I dont think they care. They have noted concerns over the competition for Sydney based sponsorship revenue and the number of Sydney home grounds.

If WT cannot get their act together over home ground/s, the Balmain Leagues fiasco, Wests, Wests Campbelltown and Balmain friction, the NRL appointed Chairman and board members, continued on and off field dramas, salary cap problems and an uncompetitive team, will become increasingly heavy chains around our freedom to continue in Sydney.

Latest posts