What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damien Cook

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
2024 Cookie ?

"Well, we have. We have Pete Mamouzelos there. He has played pretty much every game this year, so he is ready to go. He hasn't had the game time that'd he probably like, but it might be coming," Hornby said.

Im leaning to say I think we can get another 1 and maybe 2 with the addition of Cook this season.

Even more important if we snuck into the top8

I wonder if that is partly why it is dragging out despite no confirmation officially but the Souths coach saying Cook is leaving ! Is 2024 maybe a possibility as Souths agree, Cook agrees and we find a Top30 spot by releasing a player ?

BLM01

First Grade
BMM is only good for 10-15 either side of HT ... It is actually a necessary role into days footy ... I wouldnt be retaining him but would be looking at an alternate .. Royce Hunt the obvious one on the market right now.
Royce Hunt for some reason is performing as if he is playing for a contract… but looks out if condition and Roly Poly atm
Careful with him
That’s right Sharks said he can look elsewhere

TheRev

First Grade
I looked at the squad for next year and if we retain Jack and Eisenhuth, and we still want to actually sign that alpha prop when he comes up.. I dont think we can keep BMM or AlecT or Coric..

That said if Flanno has intentions of tapping guys who are contracted like Lawrie or Rava or MMolo (yes I know he extended) then maybe there other spots open up... but we cant be sure we would find a buyer yet either...

TheRev

First Grade
we wont ... Right now we have 5 spots left in the roster ... we dont have Mat/Max/TE/JDB signed
or Marschke/Brown/Russell/AlecT/BMM

some contracted players are really going to need to be moved on.
Yep, although If we assume TE/JDB take up their offers... and that Allan is fit and contracted.. it puts us at 3 spots.

But there are really '4' recruits I think we need 'minimum':

1) A new Lomax (starting marquee centre)
2) A new Marschke (halves coverage)
3) A new Muheleissen (Hooker/#14 coverage)
4) Big Dog Prop that Shane talks about (we need to be able to sign him if he comes)

But all sides tap players as the year towards the end of season... so im sure there are a couple more spots open up... Lawrie and Ravalawa would be the obvious 2, but we will carry a lot of freight on Lawrie in particular.

Gareth67

First Grade
Smith was an enigma. Cook used to be a good hooker now he is ok.

We only sign one type of player.
He seemed to have lost the enthusiasm he once had , that ‘ busy as a beaver ‘ attitude , perhaps it was due to the knowledge that he was no longer wanted at Souths .

Hopefully Flanagan will be able re-stoke the fire and the Dragons will be able to benefit from the wealth of experience that he and Hunt possess .

I believe that he will be a great addition to our team , he has the footy smarts that never truly fade .

Last edited:

Budpower

Juniors
Cookie leaving us waaay back then was a huge blow, better late then never we get back such a gun 9 so badly shafted by the drongos in charge of retention back then! Hope he and Lidds can be a two punch team of 9s the way Fien and Young tagged team to carve up every team back in 2010!
WELCOME HOME COOKIE!

Inisai Toga

Juniors
He seemed to have lost the enthusiasm he once had , that ‘ busy as a beaver attitude ‘ , perhaps it was due to the knowledge that he was no longer wanted at Souths .

Hopefully Flanagan will be able re-stoke the fire and the Dragons will be able to benefit from the wealth of experience that he and Hunt possess .

I believe that he will be a great addition to our team , he has the footy smarts that never truly fade .
…also thought that Origin 1 game last year in throwing him in the centres was pivotal..…He seems both professional fit and smart; feel as though he’ll be a strong addition to the squad.

Gareth67

First Grade
…also thought that Origin 1 game last year in throwing him in the centres was pivotal..…He seems both professional fit and smart; feel as though he’ll be a strong addition to the squad.
Yes Inisai , he was called upon to do a job and done it well , a tradesman like performance . Just the type of player that will give his all , will not let the Dragons down .

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Yep, although If we assume TE/JDB take up their offers... and that Allan is fit and contracted.. it puts us at 3 spots.

But there are really '4' recruits I think we need 'minimum':

1) A new Lomax (starting marquee centre)
2) A new Marschke (halves coverage)
3) A new Muheleissen (Hooker/#14 coverage)
4) Big Dog Prop that Shane talks about (we need to be able to sign him if he comes)

But all sides tap players as the year towards the end of season... so im sure there are a couple more spots open up... Lawrie and Ravalawa would be the obvious 2, but we will carry a lot of freight on Lawrie in particular.
We certainly need some new blood in the squad....was watching The Storm play last night the enthusiasm, intensity, speed and the will to win was evident right across the park even with their stars out....seriously it's chalk and cheese when you compare other teams efforts to ours

matPORTS

Juniors
All I can really say about the Cook signing is:

1. You need people like him at your club - what he brings off the field will be just as, if not more, important than what he brings on it (this will also take some pressure off Hunt and other senior players in terms of their off field workload as well).

2. There was a reason why Flanno signed Ennis, in his late playing years, at the Sharks for 2015/16.

justadragon

Bench
Well I got one part of my rant wrong re negatives with Cookie, about deft kicking
did a goodie for Souths last try.
I watched him closely tonight in a wet game, he was in everything, if he plays like that for us we are on a real winner
I also noticed that he stayed on the field with the utility coming on to play Hooker. Bit of food for thought.

I also noticed that he stayed on the field with the utility coming on to play Hooker. Bit of food for thought.
I watched the game last night as well.
Cook is a very competent hooker/forward.
Throws a consistently good pass from dummy half, and realised last night he has a good short kicking game close to the goal line.
Very experienced, fit and a good pick up for the Dragons.