What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dan Anderson spoke at the PESC meeting last night....

Fathead

Bench
<cough>. Maybe after Hindy retires.

Whilst he would be an inspirational captain, Hindy will not take the captaincy on. He does everything else for the team so he has his plate full. Tim Mannah has captained every team he has ever played for and will take over the captaincy at Parramatta.
Whist everyone is expecting Poore and Fui to be the dominate performers this year, I believe this year will see the establishment of Tim Mannah as one of the best props in the game.
He has a terrific motor and is built like a brick out house (and still growing)

yy_cheng

Coach
Why won't Hayne be captain?

Long Contract.

Last year, in huddles and what not, Hayne was doing alot of the talking. Even a joke in one of the games.

Furthermore, I don't think the other players would mine if Hayne was captain.

strider

Post Whore
i find it almost impossible to predict a future captain these days cos players leave for various reasons

I wouldn't bank on hayne cos he can earn sh*tloads in other sports and could bail if he is content with what he achieves in league over the next couple of yrs

I'd think mannah is more likely than anyone - cos i don't know if the temptation to leave would be as great for him as others.

Haynzy

First Grade
I don't know if longevity will necessarily come in to it...

Who's going to be the best leader on and off the field.

I'd lean towards Mannah but Hayne seems to have grown up a bit of late and may figure.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Capt/Vice Capt?

Caylo has never been a bit talker on the field - often Hindy, Luke Burt, and even Wade McKinnon in the day would do it for him. Caylo leads by example.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Gotta disagree Jess, id say Hindmarsh is more of a quiet one then Cayless. Cayless has all the attributes of what a captain needs (except for maybe intimidation, but hes done well).

I think Nathan Cayless has been our best choice for captain since 2000. Easily. Timmy Mannah is next, but id like to see him get angry on the field, so what happens when hes fired up. I honestly think he could carry 13 blokes on his back if he did.

The Colonel

Immortal
Why won't Hayne be captain?

Long Contract.

Last year, in huddles and what not, Hayne was doing alot of the talking. Even a joke in one of the games.

Furthermore, I don't think the other players would mine if Hayne was captain.

hayne is oue future captain

I don't know if longevity will necessarily come in to it...

Who's going to be the best leader on and off the field.

I'd lean towards Mannah but Hayne seems to have grown up a bit of late and may figure.

I'll lean to Mannah more for the fact that much like Hindy, Hayne has more than enough on his plate. As well as that, again like Hindy, he can be rather abrupt when it comes to talking with the refs......

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Hayne is too emotional to be a captain. One could say that emotion is necessary, but Hayne has trouble keeping his in check. I have this image of him in where he caught the ball on the full in the in goal, the ref was calling a 20 meter tap and Hayne was arguing for a line drop out. It was the prelim final against the Dogs.

Its just things like that where I cant see him being a leader of men.

mickdo

Coach
I don't think an FB is a good choice for captain. When you need him to be talking to the ref he might be 20 or 30 metres behind the line and that just isn't practical. Let him concentrate on his own game. Mannah would be ideal.

lingard

Coach
Anyone think throwing mateo the captaincy idea is a subtle hint that he is a big peice of our puzzle moving forward. IMO when a club like ours (no bias) throws you this opportunity it should be enough to sign for life on the spot.

SOmetimes i get the feeling it's us fans who value the jersey and the tradition more than players. Not all players but some. I honestly think that if he was to turn away from the eels after this, is a disgrace. And i am his number 1 fan, had his name on my jersey since he came through the junior reps.

But, if you can honestly turn away from something like this your a moron.

If your employer was good to you and gave you respect and promotion (but no wage increase) and then another organisation came along and offered more and also a sh*t-load more money, what would you do? If he ever leaves us, it won`t mean he is a moron. This isn`t just a game for these guys like it is for us fans - it`s their job; their career. And it only lasts for ten, twelve years. Give `em a bit of slack.

KK should be our next captain, He's a leader a winner.

KK was the captain when Hayne and Mannah were playing in the 2004 HM winning GF team. He's strong Mentally and seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders (and i'm not talking about the looks... thats a different issue)

lingard

Coach
I think you were watching Tahu in his last season Pete. That was AWESOME !!

But back to your thoughts on him, I really do think he has talent.

We really should not sign 2 of Burt, INU or Grothe unless they are ridiculously cheap.

Wright should be thrown the wing spot instead. However, after saying that, ETU then comes into the mix and even Humble (albeit he hasn't played wing but am sure he will adapt if he was to play 1st grade ala Hayne!!).

My 2011 backline would be
1. Hayne
2. Burt/INU/Grothe
3. Reddy
4. Tahu
5. ETU/Wright/Humble

Then the money freed up should goto the Caylo replacement fund.

My impression of Jonothan Wright is that he`s definitely a centre. I like him a lot. I reckon he might get a fair bit of first grade this year, with Tahu out injured. I might not be too popular for saying this, but I reckon they made a mistake signing Tahu. Hope I`m wrong, but then again, I would like to see more of Wright in First grade.

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
My impression of Jonothan Wright is that he`s definitely a centre. I like him a lot. I reckon he might get a fair bit of first grade this year, with Tahu out injured. I might not be too popular for saying this, but I reckon they made a mistake signing Tahu. Hope I`m wrong, but then again, I would like to see more of Wright in First grade.

I'll doubt he get a run when we have INU as next cab off the rank unless we have massive injuries.

Don't forget Benny might come back into the centres to cover for the 2nd injury (after INU replaces the 1st injured 3/4). Then a new Grunt could be given experience off the bench.

Lastly, don't forget about Humble. I reckon you could put him at FB, wing or centre although defense might be tricky if he hasn't played there.

I do like the looks of Wright and why I think only one of INU, Grothe, Burt should be resigned unless they are cheap.

The T is a great signing. Not just on the field. Every interview, everyone talks about him. We knoe what he can do on the field and I think he will lift the other younger centres etc.

I recall him teaching INU to watch his opposition. When they get lazy or flat footed, call for the ball and attack that lazy defender.

I think he will be our Buy of the Year

mickdo

Coach
Don't forget Benny might come back into the centres to cover for the 2nd injury (after INU replaces the 1st injured 3/4). Then a new Grunt could be given experience off the bench.

I can't imagine DA doing that. He would pick Inu, Wright, Etu or Humble before putting Ben into the backs again (in the starting side that is. injuries during a game is another story).

yy_cheng

Coach
I can't imagine DA doing that. He would pick Inu, Wright, Etu or Humble before putting Ben into the backs again (in the starting side that is. injuries during a game is another story).

It could happen if one of the Mitchells or young forwards are killing it at Wenty.

mickdo

Coach
It could happen if one of the Mitchells or young forwards are killing it at Wenty.

Nah. There is a handful of reserve backs that have 1st grade experience who would be in front of him in the pecking order, and not a single backup forward that has any 1st grade experience. It's a no brainer.

Last edited:

Latest posts