What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dane Carlaw?

Alex28

Coach
http://www.nospam23.com.au/articles/2010/11/23/knights-look-to-pursue-carlaw/

Knights look to pursue Carlaw
By Nathan Ryan
23 November 2010 02:11PM EST

THE Newcastle Knights are the first club to discuss the pursuit of experienced forward Dane Carlaw.

The 30-year-old former Brisbane, Queensland and Australia second-rower quit French Super League club Catalans Dragons for personal reasons.
Knights strategic development officer Keith Onslow said he would sit down with coach Rick Stone to discuss the possibility of getting the veteran to the club.
“Yeah I saw that this morning, I doubt Rick knows yet because he’s been out on the field all morning,” he said.
“I’ll sit down with Rick this afternoon.”
The Knights have some money to spare in their salary cap following the release of Ben Cross to join the Leeds Rhinos on a two-year deal.
The other club in search of a back-rower is Cronulla.
They too have some room under the cap courtesy of Adam Cuthbertson leaving to join St George Illawarra last week.
nospam23.com.au spoke to Sharks football manager Darren Mooney last week about the spare money.
“We aren’t going to just go and buy anyone, we won’t be making any rushed decisions,” Mooney said last Friday.
It is also understood Carlaw's former club Brisbane are interested in his services after their deal with Greg Inglis fell through.
Carlaw has been with the Perpignan club since 2008, signing a new 12-month contract in August, but has now decided to take his family back home after making 71 appearances for the Dragons.
"I am very disappointed to leave the club and to not honour the contract I committed myself to but it's the best decision for my family and myself," Carlaw said in a statement.

Thoughts?

perverse

Referee
and then Stone would probably play him in the back row, too...

then again, who are we to turn down a forward at the moment?

i dunno about this one, how has Dane been travelling the past couple of years? he's certainly a massive unit.

perverse

Referee
ok, so Dane averaged 69m from 9.5 carries and 22 tackles in 26 matches last year... in an inferior competition...

f**k me drunk... what is with all these loser forwards gravitating towards our already shoddy pack at the moment? this is like my worst f**king nightmare... i hope he f**ks off to f**king Brisbane.

f**k.

You'd love being Kyle O'Donnell, Con Mika and Joel Edwards ect reading about these nuffies like Southern and now possibly Carlaw being signed wouldnt you.

Johns Magic

Referee
ok, so Dane averaged 69m from 9.5 carries and 22 tackles in 26 matches last year... in an inferior competition...

f**k me drunk... what is with all these loser forwards gravitating towards our already shoddy pack at the moment? this is like my worst f**king nightmare... i hope he f**ks off to f**king Brisbane.

f**k.

Not to stick up for Carlaw, but from what I hear he actually played in the centres last year.

I haven't seen him play since he left the NRL, so I can't comment on his current form. But by the end of his NRL career a few years ago, he was deadset average.

He has a decent physique and did play for Australia a few times though, so no doubt Stone will be salivating.

Correct, Dane played in the centres, most of 2010. So those stats actually are solid as a centre, 22 tackles is alot of tackling to do for a centre. he was obviously required to play there. I have no doubt he would start for you guys because of the experience he brings to the table and the fact he played for QLD and Australia.

I think this is a good signing imo. Better then no signing at all

Think he will slot into the 8 jumper that was left vacant by Cross, you guys have a ton of backrowers.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Not to stick up for Carlaw, but from what I hear he actually played in the centres last year.
his numbers make a lot more sense that way, thx.

still, that should mean our interest would be approaching zero. a has-been backrower-turned-centre should be completely off our shopping list... surely...

aqua_duck

Coach
Good physique ex aust and qld same resume as kaufusi pretty much meaning stone will be frothing at the mouth

otori

Juniors
All my mates that support the Broncos continually laugh about how soft this guy is. He's the ultimate looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane player because he actually looks like he could be Tarzan in a Tarzan movie.

Yosh

Coach
I nearly fell off my chair when I read Cronulla were the other club after him. I think Cronulla and the Knights are the two clubs who could do with a couple less backrowers...

He played centres? What kind of competition is it over there?

Serc

First Grade
To be fair though, Carmont is a pretty good player these days (and was quite a handy player for us in his last year or two at the club)

perverse

Referee
To be fair though, Carmont is a pretty good player these days (and was quite a handy player for us in his last year or two at the club)
there's not really a "to be fair" about it... in the NRL he was, at best, a handy player... he murdered the ESL, though.

i guarentee if he came back he'd be back to handy at best. you just have to watch a game or 2 of ESL to understand that it is quite inferior. their "defence" is embarressing, in particular.

unless Dane has been ripping new ones every week in the ESL, he will be a depth player in the NRL. that was my point.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm not overly worried.

He'll probably end up signing for the Sharks or the Cowboys for half the salary we offer him anyway.