What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dane Gagai released

Seagullsrock

Juniors
What about Sean Loxley? Isn't he at the broncos, surely he could cover fullback or wing if Hoffman, Yow Yeh or Copley got injured. Maybe I haven't seen enough of him to see his deficiancies but from what i've seen he goes good.

Nope and he's not up to NRL standard yet anyway. Needs to improve his defence. He's wasted on the wing anyway. In any case, he's injured at the moment.

Last edited:

Seagullsrock

Juniors
With Gagai gone here is who we have now and moving into the future...

Dale Copley - At best a solid player who's suited to the centres. Has issues under the high ball & doesn't bring anything special to the position.

Jharal Yow Yeh - Was one of the best wingers in the world before suffering a compound fracture to the ankle. Remains to be seen if he'll even be half the player he was.

Jordan Kahu - Has suffered two serious knee injuries in consecutive seasons. Was never really a winger anyways, always reminded me of Beale as a player.

Aaron Whitchurch - Best description I can give you is Copley but bigger. Has been fashioned for the backrow by Broncos staff since last year so I question how much longer he has with the backs.

Nathaneal Barnes - 30 year old depth player who thrives on the 1%ers. Not a long term option.

Lachlan Maranta - A fullback who's struggling in QCup. A solid player but nothing I've seen suggests he's a long term answer on the wing.

Matt Berwick - 20s player who can fill a lot of positions. Solid player with good size but still raw, can't rely on him just yet.

Jarrod Watson - Started with the 20s but been dropped to colts. Says it all.

Rhett Webster - Only in his first year of 20s. Has talent but has a long way to go.

Tristian Lumley - Solid 20s player, but I don't know if he has a long term future.

Will need to sign somebody up.

Dan Wallace has been solid in the centres for Wynnum but needs to improve his defence. Kurt Capewell make his QCup debut for Wynnum this week

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Who is that fella at the dolphins thats been playing well? Joe Bond? did he score a hat trick earlier this year? has a good step and great speed?

No doubt Joe Bond is an exciting player. But he doesn't have the strength for a small guy compared to, for example, Matt Bowen. He will be a bit of a turnstile in defence.

Small_Dave

Juniors
I'm proud of Dane. He has been paid out by the Broncos to keep his mouth shut. The coach has lost a lot of respect after what he did. If you want to know the whole story, it'll be up on my blog tomorrow morning, uncensored, unedited.
Goodbye for now

DeeJ

Bench
I'm proud of Dane. He has been paid out by the Broncos to keep his mouth shut. The coach has lost a lot of respect after what he did. If you want to know the whole story, it'll be up on my blog tomorrow morning, uncensored, unedited.
Goodbye for now

Would like to hear the other side of the story but I recall Henjak had issues with Gagai as well.

AuDragon

Juniors
Unfortunately the rumours I heard were true. Didn't expect it to happen so fast though, and was really hoping for Gagai to pull his head in on time. :?

Sad to see such a talent go to waste, but glad and proud that at my club, character and discipline trump talent.
One player getting away with certain behaviour because he is the next big thing, is enough to destabilise the group, and Hook knows that.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
Goodbye for now

That's 6 accounts for you, just give it up man.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
If Gagai was acting like a dick, then let him walk. Clearly, he doesn't appreciate getting a big break from a respected club.

Time to sign a big name winger. Someone who can kick some arse with Hodgeo. Tate maybe? How long is he signed with the Cowboys?

Dazzat

First Grade
Great summary Pete. At the start of the season Whitchurch was tipped for a start at some stage during the year. I've seen him in Q Cup ... he's big and mobile and carries tacklers, but not sure about his speed.

Definitely looks like, for a change, the Broncos will need to go and find a winger. I don't think the club has ever brought an established winger to the club and has a proud history of blooding the likes of Hancock, Sailor, Tiquiri, Carne, Yow Yeh ... the list goes on.

Oh ... how about Stuart Kelly ... we brought him from Parra.

Nightward

Juniors
Whilst I have little doubt Tate would like to return to the Broncos, there are a few problems there; first and foremost, he's getting on a bit and is somewhat injury prone to boot. Bringing in stopgap solutions instead of developing a player is a tricky art to master, and Griffin appears to be playing the long game- which he can afford to, given the results of last season and this so far. Secondly, he's lost a bit of pace and was always better in the centres than on the wing. If he were signed he would almost have to play in the centres given his stature in the game and paycheck, so Jack Reed would be squeezed outwards. This goes back to the long-term development point; Reed is good and will only get better, and that will greatly hamper his development as a player.

Ultimately I feel that we are still going to be well covered for wingers. Losing Gagai is a bit of a blow given the expectations around him, but no one player is irreplacable if you need to keep a club's culture and ethos strong. There are always young players coming through, and the wing is ideally suited to them; Griffin has shown a talent for identifying and developing such players and bringing them through to the first grade, so we don't need to be hitting the panic button just yet.

If worst comes to worst this year, Gillett will get a starting gig.

Big Pete

Referee
Israel Folau would probably be the most prolific winger we ever bought unless you want to include Rowdy who played a couple of games there but was more a fullback if anything.

Couple of guys like Winterstein & Reece Robinson were brought from other clubs but were never superstars. A player of that calibre would be fine as I don't think we have anyone of that standard at the club atm.

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
We always find wingers that perform better at our club than anywhere else. We must be good at developing them:

Bott
Tupou
Kemp
Winterstein

I have no doubt we will find someone serviceable. No need to sign a big name just yet.

AceAv

Juniors
Well this is really disappointing... He will get snapped up by another club. My only hope is he will come back grovelling for another chance and we give it.

I would also guess that the fact he was shunned for Copely 1 week later -after being brought as 18th man to Perth has felt some serious resentment towards the club and his attitude has caught up...

I just hope we can offer some big $ and get Duffy or Uate or someone -doubtful though. We have better chances of seeing Copley become an Ace :?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Brisbane have made the tough call to release highly regarded young talent Dane Gagai less than two months after re-signing him until 2014.

We haven't sacked him. His contract hasn't been terminated but he's been told to find another club," Griffin told AAP.

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

00digger00

Juniors
Its the same as under 8's as it is in the NRL. No train, no play. There is no excuse for missing training session. Look at Yow Yeh when he was 5 minutes late.... Gagai could have used the knock backs as motivation to perform better, but he took the easy path. Hope he does better at his next club.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Found it interesting that ABC news radio reports it as "after a string of off field incidents"

Bretto

Bench
Brisbane have made the tough call to release highly regarded young talent Dane Gagai less than two months after re-signing him until 2014.

We haven't sacked him. His contract hasn't been terminated but he's been told to find another club," Griffin told AAP.

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

What Griffin is saying is: "We're sick of your shit attitude, but instead of giving you the boot, we'll give you the opportunity to get a new contract at another club, and here's some free publicity to boot."

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Interesting decision, I like the fact that they are trying to build a culture of discipline around the club but geez it has left the team very weak out wide in terms of depth. Another interesting thing that hook said was that Gagai is still invited to train with the team until he finds a new club.

Hopefully he comes good at another club, bit of a shame it didn't work out for him here.

Latest posts