What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dane Nielson signs 3 year deal with the Warriors

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
http://www.thewarriors.com.au/news-display/Storm-centre-Nielsen-signed-by-Vodafone-Warriors/54627

Melbourne Storm and Queensland Origin centre Dane Nielsen will join the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract after the 2012 NRL season.
The Mackay-born 26-year-old excelled in 2011 when he twice played for the Maroons – including the series-clinching third match – and has again been a key contributor for the unbeaten Storm this year, notably scoring a double in their 32-14 Anzac Day win over the Vodafone Warriors at AAMI Park.
Confirming Nielsen’s signing today, Vodafone Warriors recruitment and development manager Dean Bell said the club was excited to secure a centre of such quality from the NRL’s leading side.
“He’ll bring a lot to the Vodafone Warriors through his experience with such a strong club like the Storm and through playing Origin football,” he said.
“It’s a huge positive for us to secure a ranking Origin player and getting one who has played with three of the best players in the game – Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith – as well as learning so much through a coach of Craig Bellamy’s ability.”
A Torres Strait Islander, Nielsen said the key appeal about signing for the Vodafone Warriors was the depth of young talent at the club and the tough brand of football the side plays.
“One of the things I really like is that there are so many good young players coming through the club,” he said from Melbourne today.
“I also like the way the Warriors play. They always give the Storm a tough time whether we play them here or in Auckland. We’ve had some great games between the two clubs “
Nielsen said he wasn’t bothered at all about moving out of Australia.
“I’ve been living away from home since I was 18 or 19. I’ve been in Sydney and now Melbourne so it’s not an issue for me at all,” he said.
“I’ve got this year to worry about first but then I’ll be looking forward to coming to a new city and a new club and doing all I can to help on the field and off it.”
Ironically Nielsen will get an early taste of Vodafone Warriors members and fans when he comes to his future home base within a matter of weeks of signing; the Storm play their 13th-round clash against the Vodafone Warriors at Mount Smart Stadium on June 03.
Nielsen made his NRL debut with the Cronulla Sharks in 2007 before joining Melbourne in 2008. He played on the wing for the Storm in the 2009 grand final against Parramatta.
Last year he featured 24 times for the Storm as they won the minor premiership before being beaten by the Vodafone Warriors in the preliminary final.
Last night Nielsen made his eighth appearance of the 2012 campaign in Melbourne’s 44-10 win against Penrith, its ninth straight win of the year.
While Nielsen has been signed the Vodafone Warriors are also looking to retain the club’s longest-serving current player Jerome Ropati. Discussions are expected to be concluded soon.

The news never stops in Rugby League. Bad news for the Storm. Good news for the Warriors. Who is a decent replacement for him?

Didgi

They've got plenty of options. Maurice Blair can play centre, or they could shift O'Neill in and bring in the likes of Waqa or Moylan. Personally I hope a spot opens up for young gun Mahe Fonua (born and bred Victorian too)

Usain Bolt

Bench
So I guess that means goodbye to Jerome Ropati and Inu? Warriors would wanna keep Hurrell and Henry no doubt

tangalife

Juniors
Inu will probably be going. No point having Ropati unless we keep him for cheap. He could slot up as some sort of utility FB, WG, CT, FE

Paullyboy

Coach
He's good, but I'm not convinced that isn't just an image created by him being in the Storm. So many nuffies could look good if they were in that team.

blain

Juniors
Good solid signing, what we need in terms of experience and defence out wide. Could be the end of Ropati or Inu, which I think Nielson is better than both anyway.

applesauce

Bench
I would of thought the Warriors would take a Broncos approach. They have sooooo many young guns coming through - particularly in the backs.

Why the need to sign anyone in Australia right now is beyond me.

Danish

Referee
In the Melbourne side over the years there have been some players who are so great they lift the performance of those around them to another level.

There are also those who are actually average, but when placed in the same team as the aforementioned great players, they look like world beaters.

Examples of the first kind - Cooper Cronk, Cam Smith, Billy Slater, Dallas Johnson, Greg Inglis

Examples of the second kind - Ben Cross, Michael Crocker, Adam Blair, and soon to be Dane Nielson

Perth Red

Post Whore
no decent centres being developed in NZ?

Good signing, sahme to see him go. I hope he doesn;t get the Melbourne Curse like some other stars that have left Melbourne and become very ordinary

jeffrow

Juniors
I would of thought the Warriors would take a Broncos approach. They have sooooo many young guns coming through - particularly in the backs.

Its important to have a couple of Aussies in the Warriors squad - they are gonna lose Luck and Maloney at the end of the season.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

We're hardly pushing the outer reaches of the salary cap, so I'm led to believe, so no harm here at all.

There's not a hell of a lot of young centre talent coming through..although Ben Henry is getting better and better every week. Hurrell is very young and will get there, and Henry will probably go back to the second-row when Brown and Luck move on. Ropati has shown time and time again he's defensively poor in the centres, we need someone to sew that up and Nielsen is the man.

Australian or not, it makes perfect sense.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
If there is one area the Warriors need work, it is on their edge defense.

Neilson may have some effect in alleviating that deficiency. Time will tell.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
And we prefered David Simmons and let this bloke go........S Raper, triple uppercut.