What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Danger Game !!!!!!!

dazeely

First Grade
We could be in for one hell of a dog fight if a few results go the Raiders way and they remain in contention for the final spot. Lookout I say.......

[font=Verdana,Arial]Raiders still a shot for top eight[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial]PFitzgerald[/font]
[font=Verdana, arial]Monday, 22 August 2005[/font]

[font=verdana,arial]A top-eight position is still in reach for the Canberra Raiders.

So is the wooden spoon.

The was the fallout after another round of upsets as the most open NRL season in history heads into its penultimate round of home-and-away matches.

Manly's 62-point loss to Cronulla yesterday opened a small window of opportunity for Canberra's slim top-eight prospects, despite a fifth consecutive loss to the Cowboys on Saturday night.

But on the flipside of the equation, wins to Newcastle, South Sydney and Penrith over the weekend has made the battle for the wooden spoon as intriguing as that for the minor premiership.

Canberra will know before it runs onto Parramatta Stadium on Sunday afternoon whether or not it is still a mathematical possibility of making the play-offs.

To have any chance, the Raiders need the New Zealand Warriors to defeat Manly at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night.

An added bonus would be the Broncos officially ending the Roosters' season on Friday night. Canberra must then defeat Parramatta on Sunday afternoon and also beat Manly at Canberra Stadium the following Saturday night and hope a handful of other results go their way.

The top seven teams on the ladder at the completion of round 24 are guaranteed a finals berth.

Such is the evenness of the 2005 competition the next five teams on the ladder can conceivably fill eighth position and a finals berth.

Manly (26 points), the Bulldogs (23 points), the Roosters (22 points), Penrith (22 points) and the Raiders (22 points) are still in contention for the all-important eighth position.

Of those teams the Roosters, Panthers and Raiders still remain possible - albeit improbable - chances of finishing last.

Canberra's inspirational five-eighth Jason Smith was last night ruing his side's most recent loss to the Cowboys but had thoughts only for making the play-offs.

"We know we've still got that slim chance again, as we have done for the past four weeks now, so we're not going to just throw our hands up and give in," he said.

"That's not the nature of our team.

"We've got that great fighting attitude and it's a team I enjoy playing with and love to be involved in. When you're in a side that is as committed as what our side is, it's fantastic."

The Canberra Times can reveal that following the loss in Townsville on Saturday night, Raiders coach Matt Elliott told his players they were still a small chance of making the finals but that they had to win both their remaining games, one of them by at least 50 points.

Heading into yesterday's matches to conclude round 24, the Raiders' points differential was so far behind Manly, the prospect of a top-eight finish was little more than a dream.

But since Cronulla handed the Sea Eagles a 62-point hiding, the hopes of Raiders players and fans alike have been once again boosted.

Smith said that had some certain things gone Canberra's way in recent times, the agony of being at the mercy of other results would have been avoided.

"My belief is if we didn't have half the injuries we have this year, we'd be in the top six without a doubt," he claimed.

"We've gone through a bad patch and certainly referee calls haven't gone our way.

"Obviously, losing our last five games when our attitude and intent was 100 per cent, it's proof that nobody, not one person, gives up."

Playing his 16th season of professional rugby league, Smith has represented his state, country and played around the world in a stellar career but yesterday labelled the current Canberra side as "the most loyal and willing to help a teammate" as he has played with.

"I've never seen a gutsier side. I've been proud of the boys for the last six weeks," he said. "I've never felt like that for any team I've played in and that's what makes me so proud to play in a side like this."
[/font]

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
they are not a danger game, we owe these guys big time, for the defeat 4 weeks ago

its payback time

dazeely

First Grade
Belly in Brisvegas said:
very much a danger game....i'm worried about the let down from the past week and we need to be switched on.

ffs.

bloody oath it is Belly. They have been a bogey team for us with their tuff and boring type game plan. Beware I say!!!!!!!!!!!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
dazeely said:
bloody oath it is Belly. They have been a bogey team for us with their tuff and boring type game plan. Beware I say!!!!!!!!!!!

[-( [-( [-(

Grail

Juniors
Twizzle said:
they are not a danger game, we owe these guys big time, for the defeat 4 weeks ago

its payback time

Dude, every game can be a danger game in this comp, especially if the guys go in with this attitude. Thinking about the past is foolish. Think about the present only and the team that's infront of you.

shiftysmith

Juniors
i have faith the best thing that happened to us was to lose yesterday,had we won then i would be wooried.we should win if we are serious about taking out the comp. smith will have them ready and lets remember we owe them one

Aussiehurrikane

Juniors
we certainly cant take the raiders lightly, look at the cowboys, they just beat them by 3 points, we'll need to be on our game on sunday.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Aussiehurrikane said:
we certainly cant take the raiders lightly, look at the cowboys, they just beat them by 3 points, we'll need to be on our game on sunday.

cuz the cowpats are crap and we are not

dazeely

First Grade
Twizzle said:
cuz the cowpats are crap and we are not

When was the last time we beat them? Has been some time I think. Remember this is the eels we are talking about - win the ones we are not meant to and then lose the so called easy ones. Danger Will Robertson !!!!!!!!!!:shock:

fish eel

Immortal
Twizzle said:
we put 52 on them last time we played them

:alcho:Its a bit early to be on the jungle juice Twizz! :-k

belly said:
i'm worried about the let down from the past week and we need to be switched on.

If we cant back up after the dragons game, whats the point of playing in the finals when we might need to back up three or four weeks in a row??