What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Anderson Master Psychologist

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I watched Daniel's after match chat with the media and he did not look stressed or upset or terribly worried or concerned. He gave all the praise to the roosters and he kept checking Caylo knowing Caylo was stewing while continuing to praise the roosters over and over again.

It seems Daniel is very glad that this huge loss occurred now against the Roosters for many reasons.......

1. To see what tactics B Smith would use to counteract the Eels, lets not forget Robson was pushed to 6 for almost the whole game and left Mortimer at 7, the Eels play at their best with Robson at 7 and Mortimer at 6. Daniel also had Mateo playing much wider than last week, kept Hayne more central out the back, again very different to last week against the dogs and had the backs and forwards playing a lot more flat.... very interesting... no accident in this....

Check the playing style the Eels put on against the Dogs and Panthers and compare it to the Roosters game.... Daniel is one very very clever boy... Eels backs and forwards played a lot more deeper and wider - against the chooks they were much more condensed for the WHOLE game... this was an intentional DA tactic....

Turns out B Smith used quite a bit of Bellamy's 2009 Grand Final tactics - looked similar for much of the game. Bar playing very poorly which I don't think is possible for the rest of the season, I would not be surprised that Daniel already has a game plan devised from long-ago to counteract the ONLY game plan/tactic possible which can shut down the Eels, the one both Bellamy and B Smith used. This is why Daniel wanted the boys to experience this B Smith/Bellamy tactic/game plan at this time of the year...

The boys have now experienced a hands-on refresher course while Daniel will now have lots of video footage (2009 GF & Roosters game) for the boys to study while Daniel begins the drilling sessions to get the boys ready to deal with these type of game plans if they should occur again, which they will - from now on the boys will know within minutes from the start of each game, what game plan is being executed by the Titans, Broncos, Tigers, Rabbits & Warriors and will be trained to very quickly adapt both attacking and defensive structures.

2. Great experience + wake up call for Tahu, Hayne & co - this will help the whole team get their heads screwed on for the rest of the season and READY for the big end of season games. Remember the Manly thrashings the Eels experienced late in the season/semis in 1982 & 1983 and how Jack Gibson was not fazed by any of this. We saw what the Eels did to Moanly in both GF, 1982 & 1983!!!!!!! It seems DA has a similar Gibson like approach to getting his players heads switched on and ready for the games that really matter.

3. Daniel not giving away his end of season tactics - clever boy

4. Building up momentum that will not burst because the boys will have the roosters game to remind them for the rest of this season....

Eels to win 2010 Premiership.....

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I think you're onto something. We didn't want to give too much away. I reckon we should play it safe and lose a few more. It's all part of the grand plan hey.

Fathead

Bench
I watched Daniel's after match chat with the media and he did not look stressed or upset or terribly worried or concerned. He gave all the praise to the roosters and he kept checking Caylo knowing Caylo was stewing while continuing to praise the roosters over and over again.

It seems Daniel is very glad that this huge loss occurred now against the Roosters for many reasons.......

1. To see what tactics B Smith would use to counteract the Eels, lets not forget Robson was pushed to 6 for almost the whole game and left Mortimer at 7, the Eels play at their best with Robson at 7 and Mortimer at 6. Daniel also had Mateo playing much wider than last week, kept Hayne more central out the back, again very different to last week against the dogs and had the backs and forwards playing a lot more flat.... very interesting... no accident in this....

Check the playing style the Eels put on against the Dogs and Panthers and compare it to the Roosters game.... Daniel is one very very clever boy... Eels backs and forwards played a lot more deeper and wider - against the chooks they were much more condensed for the WHOLE game... this was an intentional DA tactic....

Turns out B Smith used quite a bit of Bellamy's 2009 Grand Final tactics - looked similar for much of the game. Bar playing very poorly which I don't think is possible for the rest of the season, I would not be surprised that Daniel already has a game plan devised from long-ago to counteract the ONLY game plan/tactic possible which can shut down the Eels, the one both Bellamy and B Smith used. This is why Daniel wanted the boys to experience this B Smith/Bellamy tactic/game plan at this time of the year...

The boys have now experienced a hands-on refresher course while Daniel will now have lots of video footage (2009 GF & Roosters game) for the boys to study while Daniel begins the drilling sessions to get the boys ready to deal with these type of game plans if they should occur again, which they will - from now on the boys will know within minutes from the start of each game, what game plan is being executed by the Titans, Broncos, Tigers, Rabbits & Warriors and will be trained to very quickly adapt both attacking and defensive structures.

2. Great experience + wake up call for Tahu, Hayne & co - this will help the whole team get their heads screwed on for the rest of the season and READY for the big end of season games. Remember the Manly thrashings the Eels experienced late in the season/semis in 1982 & 1983 and how Jack Gibson was not fazed by any of this. We saw what the Eels did to Moanly in both GF, 1982 & 1983!!!!!!! It seems DA has a similar Gibson like approach to getting his players heads switched on and ready for the games that really matter.

4. Building up momentum that will not burst because the boys will have the roosters game to remind them for the rest of this season....

:lol::lol: Mate what are we ? 11th or 12th out of 16 teams !!! Yep - its all part of the master plan :crazy:

TheParraboy

Staff member

Agree 100% with casper :clap::clap:

StraightJacket.jpg

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I was not implying it was a master plan put in place from the beginning of the season. It's more a psychological strategy arisen out of recent circumstances to get the players brains screwed on for the rest of the season, ideas Daniel must have thought through (I would have if I was coach) spontaneously on-the-run, to counteract for starters, the slowing down the play-the-ball.

The way the Eels were playing flat in defence against a fast deeply set roosters attack running regularly across the field and or throwing very long cut out passes had similar tones to the way Storm played at times during the 2009 GF.

Daniel was happy to let the Eels get slaughtered by the Dragons round 26 2009 to then have the Eels come back the following week on the same Dragons home soil and devastate the dragons all over the park in the first semi. This was an intentional tactic Daniel devised spontaneously on-the-run. It was very clear for all to see, those who use their brains that Daniel is brilliant with the Roper Doper strategy.

He is doing it again... That is what I am implying....

Daniel Anderson uses psychology spontaneously on-the-run just as Jack Gibson did and they both used very simple game plans to counteract those teams who slaughtered the Eels weeks/months before. They both suss out everything the opposition can throw at them and then come back with the tactics to win the big-games that really matter.

Lets see if I am right, only time will tell.

The Eels to win the 2010 Premiership

Eelementary

Post Whore
I so desperately want to believe your logic...So I will!

Only flaw with it is the reference to the Dragons round 26 game last year - we could afford to "drop" that game because we were in the 8 at that stage. We are not anywhere near the 8 right now, so "dropping" this game is dangerous.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Look at the Roosters possible predicament next time (if) they come up against the Eels in the semis... the eels will have more thrust and ferocity up the middle, will swarm the roosters play makers either side of the ruck and up the middle. The Eels will be in their faces all game.

The Roosters will be under so much more pressure playing in a semi final trying to emulate the mistake-free attacking style of game they played the other night. More than likely the Eels will force the Roosters into more mistakes and they will start playing more conservatively as the game unfolds. And in wet weather it gets even harder for them as it will for the Eels.

The Eels can play 80 minutes grinding football, we saw this against Moanly and the Storm. If the Eels play to their potential with passion and ferocity while sticking to a simple game plan, they have just as much chance of easily defeating the roosters as the roosters have in defeating the eels.

As long as the refs do not allow the roosters to slow down the eels play-the-ball, (DA & co will be in their ears - they have the video tapes to back their arguments), the eels will have more time and space to possibly play as well as they did recently against the Dogs and Panthers.

The nervous energy and stress of the big games can drain players and B Smith coached teams are notorious of becoming emotionally wiped out in the games that really matter. These type of games create a more level playing field. Dragons collapsed in a heap trying to emulate the standards they set most of 2009.

The mountain is high to climb and to stay there at those heights takes a lot of psychology and if the psychology ain't right and the temperament of the players have flaws in their psychological makeup -the fall from the mountain top occurs very very fast with a huge thud waiting for the fallen when they reach rock-bottom.

During the end of season big-games, its best to be still climbing up the mountain, hitting the apex in the GF, than being at the apex for weeks or months on end.

Anyway.. things are not as drastically bad as they currently seem to appear. Daniel Anderson is on the right track, it's now up to the players to collectively climb the mountain with Daniel and all-together as team-players, reach the summit on Sunday October 3rd 2010, winning the 2010 NRL GF.

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

Only flaw with it is the reference to the Dragons round 26 game last year - we could afford to "drop" that game because we were in the 8 at that stage. We are not anywhere near the 8 right now, so "dropping" this game is dangerous.

Such a shellacking received from the Roosters can only do good for the Eels. If we have a chance of getting in to the top 8 and going on from there as we did last year, there must not be any complacency and there must be a group mind all bonded, focused, determined and playing for each other, week in week out for the rest of the season. Otherwise, the Eels won't make it any further this year. Sensitive players like Mateo, Inu, Burt, Tahu, Cayless, Hindmarsh, Hayne, Horo, etc, needed a full on wake up call, a HUGE kick up the arse........ and guess what... they all just got it..... lets see if the giant has finally awoken and all together, fully awake, they rise to the occasion with a roaring fire of passion in their bellies sweeping away all before them.

cv8z

Juniors
I can't believe I actually read through this thread ESP at this ungodly hour. Ffs 

TheRam

Coach

Yeah me too...Ah sh*t...I can't...I just can't, it's to ridiculous. Just tell him his dreamin.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so the master plan is not to win

looks like Sticky was on the ball after all

jk13

First Grade
i hear DA has also organised a case of jack daniels to be left outside carneys door every morning, as well as a pair of undies and a lighter. the trap is set.....

slippy

Juniors
99.9% of the time I agree with Casper and respect his thoughts.

This time is no different. I agree and I believe he's right on the money. Love your work Casper!

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
so the master plan is not to win

looks like Sticky was on the ball after all

It's about adapting and adapting and adapting, bending with the roaring winds of change as they blast through without ever losing focus on the bigger picture (your dream - your goal), because if you do, the dream is dead, the tree has been uprooted. Very few have this skill anymore. It requires a never say die attitude embodied with grounded realism. You must never be emotionally attached to your dreams because then the bucket (brain) is full of distraction, blocking out options from reaching through to inspire you back on course and so you become stuck in a rut (a self-destructing loser) of your own making.

I might not agree with how DA, PO & co went about decimating the Eels bonded-spirit forged out of the 2009 season which created a lot of unnecessary distraction but I do fully support Daniel Anderson's ability to adapt and adapt, learning as he goes from one experience to the next, never losing sight of his dream, which is your dream, my dream and all Eels supporters dream.