What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Danny Green vs Roy Jones Jnr - WED, 2nd DECEMBER 2009

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Danny Green vs Roy Jones Jnr - WED, 2nd DECEMBER 2009

Who ya got?

I have Roy Jones Jnr winning this by decision. A win for Danny Green is great for Australian boxing, I just don't think he can get it done. If the Jones Jnr that defeated Lacey (his last fight before this one) turns up, Green will be picked apart by the best fighter pound for pound I've ever seen (if you have doubts about that claim, youtube some of his fights when he was in his prime - the man was a boxing god).

Looking forward to it.

shiznit

Coach
meh... i stopped caring about RJJ after he was embarrassed by Joe Calzaghe.

as for green... if you cant beat Anthony Mundine you dont deserve PPV money.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
I'd tune in shiznit, an all-time great is on our shores (worth viewing alone) and Green can make a little bit of history if he can win here. I can see why you'd be turned off after the Calzaghe loss, but Jones Jnr is focused on boxing and looking every bit the man he was in his prime.

You might miss something a little special on Wednesday night.

shiznit

Coach
the guy is over 40.... well, well, well past his prime. maybe in his mid 30's perhaps he would have been a drawcard... but not now.

as for green... how would he make history?? by beating someone up who was probably at the birth of christ.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
LOL I hope youre referring to his physical appearance, because Roy isn't even a shell of the fighter he once was.

Thanks for stating the obvious. I guess I should have spelt it out clearly. My bad.

No, he ain't the EXACT replica of the guy in his prime though if you watched his last fight vs Lacey, you'd acknowledge he doesn't look like the 40-something year old man his passport suggests. The guy looked awesome, sensational. Jones on that night was as close as I've seen him in a long, long time to being the man that dominated three weight divisions for over a decade.

Better judges than you and I tend to agree with me. We all may be wrong.

andrew057

First Grade
Thanks for stating the obvious. I guess I should have spelt it out clearly. My bad.

No, he ain't the EXACT replica of the guy in his prime though if you watched his last fight vs Lacey, you'd acknowledge he doesn't look like the 40-something year old man his passport suggests. The guy looked awesome, sensational. Jones on that night was as close as I've seen him in a long, long time to being the man that dominated three weight divisions for over a decade.

Better judges than you and I tend to agree with me. We all may be wrong.

I've seen plenty of Roy Jones fights including his fight with Lacy and like I said he isnt even a shell of what he used to be.

You say he looked "awesome, senational"? Was that against the same Lacy who got shutout by Taylor? Went life and death with Mendoza and needed a robbery to get the decision again Otis Grant? Lacy is a bum these days and a win against him doesn't hold much weight.

LOL Jones Jnr dominated 3 weight divisions for over a decade? I'd love to hear your explanation of this.

Also who are these better judges than you and I that agree with what you say? I guarantee you they would be few and far between.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
I've seen plenty of Roy Jones fights including his fight with Lacy and like I said he isnt even a shell of what he used to be.

You say he looked "awesome, senational"? Was that against the same Lacy who got shutout by Taylor? Went life and death with Mendoza and needed a robbery to get the decision again Otis Grant? Lacy is a bum these days and a win against him doesn't hold much weight.

LOL Jones Jnr dominated 3 weight divisions for over a decade? I'd love to hear your explanation of this.

Also who are these better judges than you and I that agree with what you say? I guarantee you they would be few and far between.

We'll have to agree to disagree it seems.

If you miss the fight, by the sounds of it you're a passionate fight fan as I so I think you will watch it, you're missing out on some history if either fighters wins.

Enjoy!

Broncodr01d

Juniors
History?

If Green wins what is going to be so historic about it?

On a small scale, it would be historic in terms of achievment - Roy Jones Jnr when all is said and done is an All-Time Great and going to the Hall Of Fame. If Green can upset him, it will be arguably the biggest win in Australian boxing history and an historic moment for the flagging sport down under.

Mong

Post Whore
On a small scale, it would be historic in terms of achievment - Roy Jones Jnr when all is said and done is an All-Time Great and going to the Hall Of Fame. If Green can upset him, it will be arguably the biggest win in Australian boxing history and an historic moment for the flagging sport down under.

There is nothing about beating a 40 year old that is historical i am afraid.

If he had of beat him 15 years ago people would have been impressed..

Broncodr01d

Juniors
When a first ballot HOF boxer comes to our shores and fights one of our fighters, it's historic. Yes, if Gree beats the aging Jones it wouldn't be as impressive as it was when he was at his peak, though it still would be historic and go in to boxing folklore in this country.

shiznit

Coach
If it ain't obvious to those who aren't up to speed with the sport, if Jones Jnr wins, this is why it's historic.
why because the IBO cruiserweight belt would add another weight class to his record??

thats rubbish... hes never cared about Cruiserweight before... hes held Light Heavy & Heavy gold before... so his legacy doesnt increase if he wins a rubbish belt in between those.

and lets be honest here... the IBO Cruiserweight belt is rubbish... Danny Green is nowhere near the best Cruiserweight in the world... IMO hes not even in the top 10. its a nothing belt.

if Roy Jones is serious about calling himself Cruiserweight champion he needs to beat someone like Tomasz Adamek, Zsolt Erdei or Marco Huck.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
why because the IBO cruiserweight belt would add another weight class to his record??

thats rubbish... hes never cared about Cruiserweight before... hes held Light Heavy & Heavy gold before... so his legacy doesnt increase if he wins a rubbish belt in between those.

and lets be honest here... the IBO Cruiserweight belt is rubbish... Danny Green is nowhere near the best Cruiserweight in the world... IMO hes not even in the top 10. its a nothing belt.

if Roy Jones is serious about calling himself Cruiserweight champion he needs to beat someone like Tomasz Adamek, Zsolt Erdei or Marco Huck.

Well of course you know more than reputed analysts.

Each to their own. Re-read the piece. If Jones wins, not matter if it's IBO (though I do agree with you there), he does something never achieved before. It makes it an historic win no matter what spin you want to put on it.

Enjoy the fight.

shiznit

Coach

Each to their own. Re-read the piece. If Jones wins, not matter if it's IBO (though I do agree with you there), he does something never achieved before. It makes it an historic win no matter what spin you want to put on it.

Enjoy the fight.
the problem is mate... your reputed analyst probably has a vested interest in promoting this fight...

but if your a serious boxing fan you should be able to smell bullsh*t when its being served up to you....

a quick look at the various websites shows you where Green ranks... Boxrec has him ranked 10th. Ring Magazine which is known as the Bible of boxing doesnt even have him in there top 10.

like i said... Roy Jones beating Danny Green will do nothing for his legacy as hes not actually expanding his weight limits... hes already fought at Heavyweight.

take this for what it is... its a tune up fight for Roy Jones Jr's last big payday against Bernard Hopkins...

i admire your enthusiasm for the aussie battler. we do it in NZ for David Tua. but you gotta recognize that theres nothing historic about this fight... just an old man trying to make a few quid before his big finale.

Mong

Post Whore
Haha..

If you don't agree with broncodro1d you are not "up to speed" with the sport.. Got to love that kind of argument.

Broncodr01d

Juniors

Enjoy the fight.

](*,) For those who obviously didn't read the article,

If Jones Jr (54-5, 40 KO’s) defeats the 36 year old Green (27-3, 24 KO’s) from Perth, Western Australia he will be the only boxer to have won world titles at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, cruiserweight and heavyweight –a resume of the highest order in the sport.

If he wins, he achieves something never achieved before in these five weight classes. Therefore, a win for Jones Jnr would indeed be an historic win.

I give up.

Enjoy the fight, I know I will.

Mong said:
f you don't agree with broncodro1d you are not "up to speed" with the sport.. Got to love that kind of argument.

No not at all. I posted the link as it was obvious some where not aware of WHY a Jones Jnr win in particular would be classed historic in boxing circles. Nice try mong.