What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Danny Weidler on PJ Marsh

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd take PJM over Piggy atm, if we had to loose one, its a no brainer

he's a match winner

bartman

Immortal
Gronk said:
Right now I'd be playing PL at 7.
He should be there next week if tonight is a disaster in the halves combo. No reason why PJ can't be an 80 minute player, even if he swaps between different positions depending who else is on or off the field at that time.

Perhaps the Wiedler talk is PJ's way of getting himself an upgraded deal? Everyone else has had a go at talking themselves up before re-signing... If Riddell is on $300, PJ deserves close to that mark, so I can understand him thinking of shopping around if the opening offer is significantly less.

Utey

Coach
How he hasn't won a starting position over Riddell I seriously cannot believe. No one can say we haven't looked a better side when his been on the field. take the rumour as you will, I can't see him leaving.

emjaycee

Coach
<UPtheEELS> said:
How he hasn't won a starting position over Riddell I seriously cannot believe. No one can say we haven't looked a better side when his been on the field. take the rumour as you will, I can't see him leaving.

Could be he hasnt been starting cause as well as coming in as hooker for a tired Riddell, he needs to cover any injuries that may occur in the backs - if that was to happen, he wouldnt get a break and would need to finish the game in a re-shuffled backline.

For mine, I would start him but wouldnt necessarily plan on 80 minutes as hooker. A fresh Riddell coming on after 25-30 mins might just crack some gaps from dummy-half.

Stagger eel

Staff member
<UPtheEELS> said:

but it shouldn't be about winning a starting spot it's about fitting into a side that would suit the team in general and how I see it Riddell gets a starting spot to add a bit more weight in the forward pack in the early parts of the game before PJ comes on and does his job.

Personally, I would start him but in an ideal world where our forwards are showing next mongral against oppositions we should by rights match it would probably make sense that we start with Pig.

Utey

Coach
PJ holds his own in the forwards, he has to be one of the best tacklers for a bloke of his size. He started at the Warriors and yes their pack was awesome that year, but he held his own. When's the last time we saw a typical Riddell run? I know his an inspiration when he gets going, but you can't do much when your tummy is hanging over your shorts. He should slow down on the schooners at Northies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
<UPtheEELS> said:
PJ holds his own in the forwards, he has to be one of the best tacklers for a bloke of his size. He started at the Warriors and yes their pack was awesome that year, but he held his own. When's the last time we saw a typical Riddell run? I know his an inspiration when he gets going, but you can't do much when your tummy is hanging over your shorts. He should slow down on the schooners at Northies.

well ideally I would start PJ and move Pig in the backrow..but i'm not convinced that it's the root of our problem.

JOB 3:14

Juniors
BlueNGoldBlood said:
I would rather lose riddell before we lose pj, the side always looks better and receives much better service when marsh is on the field.

No doubt about that. But i guess we have a habit of losing our most effective players.

forward pass

Coach
This is what I think our pack should look like (and bench)

Lock Mateo
2nd Row Hindmarsh
2nd Row Riddell
Prop Cayless
Hooker Marsh
Prop Fui Fui

Bench Wagon, Cordoba, Hindmarsh Robinson

Personally - that is an awesome pack - good runners, variety, ball skills. The bench is solid - nothing more.

I just don't get why PJ gets so little game time - he is our most dangerous player and he he is picking splinters out of his back side for half the game !!

Eelementary

Post Whore
forward pass said:
This is what I think our pack should look like (and bench)

Lock Mateo
2nd Row Hindmarsh
2nd Row Riddell
Prop Cayless
Hooker Marsh
Prop Fui Fui

Bench Wagon, Cordoba, Hindmarsh Robinson

Personally - that is an awesome pack - good runners, variety, ball skills. The bench is solid - nothing more.

I just don't get why PJ gets so little game time - he is our most dangerous player and he he is picking splinters out of his back side for half the game !!

Black-balled from ever playing First Grade again!

JOB 3:14

Juniors
I would be playing it the other way around. PJ starts and finishes the game. Fatty can be the one who comes on to replace pj or any other forward since he is so unfit.

Fathead

Bench
The 'love' is what you get when your mouth equals your on field performance.

Our love affair with Piggy has been wearing thin over the last few years. Whilst our patience is wearing thin, piggy is wearing fat..... (oh you kill me ....)

Eelementary

Post Whore
What about Hindmarsh? Cannings? Robinson? Smith? Smith? Finch? Reddy? Lowrie?

No, no, no. Riddell is the man, and he'll prove it.

Having said that, though, I think he'd serve us better as a running back-rower.

Gronk

Staff member
So has PJ been getting less game time under Hagan compared to Smithy and at the Warriors ?

Are there actually any teams that play their Hooker for 80 mins ?

forward pass

Coach
Eelementary said:
What about Hindmarsh? Cannings? Robinson? Smith? Smith? Finch? Reddy? Lowrie?

No, no, no. Riddell is the man, and he'll prove it.

Having said that, though, I think he'd serve us better as a running back-rower.

I agree. That is where I named him in my pack with PJ to play full game at hooker.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I can't blame PJ for wanting a starting spot.

He is good enough and plenty of other teams would have him in their starting side.

Bigfella

Coach
8.Nathan Cayless
9.PJ Marsh
10.Fuifui Moimoi
11.Nathan Hindmarsh
12.Chad Robinson
13.Mark Riddell

The only way that is not our best pack is if Mateo should possibly start instead of Riddell.

Honestly, that is 300% better than our current pack.