What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

darius boyd

corvettedragon

Juniors
anyone notice darius pointing to his dragons jersey ala blacklock and mundine, after sowards try. hope he stays with us for a while yet. you gotta love his passion.

cleary89

Coach
Pretty much the whole team does it when they score. They love the red v, and I reckon its gotta be one of the reasons our defence is so strong.

f**k imagine if we had a scummer like Ferguson in our team, who didn't want to be there. Pretty much everyone is taking unders on their worth to be at the club.

TheRev

Coach
I think he did it because he probably copped some flack/questions when he said that he would leave StGeorge as soon as Wayne did.

But, still I was very happy to see him and Sowie firing up =)

Brenno75

Juniors
He almost cost you guys the game last week. He's a very talented young player. But that penalty he gave away was shocking.

cleary89

Coach
He almost cost you guys the game last week. He's a very talented young player. But that penalty he gave away was shocking.

Doesnt make much of a difference. A tap 20m out in front, or a tap 30 out 10 in from touch.

Probably the best place to give away a penalty.

cleary89

Coach
That said, its a restart of play so he should know that everyone has to be back on side before the ref can blow the whistle for the tap. Don't hit the ball out and jog back. Walk f**king slowly.

TheRev

Coach
How hard di Boyd run it back on his first hit up?
He's a strong bastard

Im sure he knows better than I do, but I wish he would try and jink the line instead of just running full pelt into an opponent and risking injury.

It is intimidating though.. or I imagine it would be!

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Im sure he knows better than I do, but I wish he would try and jink the line instead of just running full pelt into an opponent and risking injury.

It is intimidating though.. or I imagine it would be!
Isn't that what he normally does?? He normally runs 40m across field trying to find a gap in the defensive line.

Those full-speed charges into the defensive line are rare, and he often does it to try and fire the team up.

Worked perfectly on Saturday, following that we blitzed Newcastle for the next 15-20 minutes and were up 16-0.

ShaiGuY

First Grade
anyone notice darius pointing to his dragons jersey ala blacklock and mundine, after sowards try. hope he stays with us for a while yet. you gotta love his passion.

He's starting to play like Blacklock running into gaps from short passes as well. I don't mind the sideways running too much. It allows him to get closer to the wingers for the play the ball and also gives a bit of time for our forwards to get onside. I recall we have also scored/made line breaks off a few sideways runs when he has linked with Morris/Cooper.

TheRev

Coach
Isn't that what he normally does?? He normally runs 40m across field trying to find a gap in the defensive line.

Those full-speed charges into the defensive line are rare, and he often does it to try and fire the team up.

Worked perfectly on Saturday, following that we blitzed Newcastle for the next 15-20 minutes and were up 16-0.

Dunno, you dont see a Hayne or Slater running full pelt "into" another player, or running sideways either, most elusive fullbacks get close to the line and attempt a step or 2 or straighten, or do something to use that speed to hit a gap (not a player).

Darius is his own man though, and I think he is not naturally gifted at actually wrong-footing opposition players, but its an area of his game that is developing (compare his attack now, to 2009), hes a great player and im not trying to criticize him, but the breaks he makes are more when he runs an angle and uses his speed to get through a gap. But yeah, back on topic, it still surprises me to see him risk injury with his charges, but again like you said, perhaps its worth it for the team.

smi962

First Grade
I notice he sniffs a lot during interviews, even when he doesn't have a cold; must be some nervous reaction to dealing with the media or maybe he is allergic to them,

STG-MACCA

Bench
Running hard, straight and fast allows our forwards to get on side quicker as it's less distance to travel to the ruck. It also allows for a faster play the ball (as the dummy half can be the hooker as he is closer) and puts our attack on top on the first tackle whereas other teams are usually only going for a scoot for the first and even 2nd play whilst the forwards get back. This is most likely why he only does it on the odd occassion when our forwards are not in need of slower play or crabbing.

Latest posts