What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Lockyer might have played for NSW in Origin but Eels blew chance to sign him

Mickyd39

Juniors
When Smith came on board he probably would have got rid of him anyway.:lol:

nothing story.

Bigfella

Coach
Every great player must have been close to signing with another club at some stage of their career.

If this wasn't Parra it probably wouldn't have made the press.

The club would have had pretty high hopes for Michael Buettner back then anyway with good reason wouldn't they? He looked to be a massive talent as a young kid.

Bigfella

Coach
It's also not a great stretch to think that Ronny Hilditch may not have got quite as much out of a young Darren Lockyer as W Bennett did ...

Parra Guru

Coach
"It would have been a big move for me at that age and I was always keen to try my luck with the Broncos.

"It wasn't long after (Ella) saw me that I got a scholarship with the Broncos and that's how it has played out."

So basically he was always looking at staying in Brissy where possible.

They are also forgetting that back when QLDers qualified for NSW that actually were able to choose between the states. I'm sure, like Mat Rogers at the time, Lockyer still would have played for the Maroons.

born an eel

Bench
sorry I'm getting confused, are we suppose to holding on to juniors and progressing them through the grades or buying every 15 year old around the country who can lace his own boot in the hope that one day he will be a legend?

spiderdan

Bench
sorry I'm getting confused, are we suppose to holding on to juniors and progressing them through the grades or buying every 15 year old around the country who can lace his own boot in the hope that one day he will be a legend?
we already did that when cleal was our talent scout.

if we had of signed Locky at the that young age he would never have been coached by Wayne Bennett and may not be the player he is today.

84 Baby

Referee
Buettner > Lockyer
While maybe not now, at the time we already had Beutts signed up and he was a very good player and more first grade ready at the time. If you have Scott Prince or Cooper Cronk, you don't go chasing Thurston

DeanPay98

Juniors
Every great player must have been close to signing with another club at some stage of their career.

If this wasn't Parra it probably wouldn't have made the press.

The club would have had pretty high hopes for Michael Buettner back then anyway with good reason wouldn't they? He looked to be a massive talent as a young kid.

Buettner had some great years in first grade. Unfortunately, only one of them was with the Eels!

Parra Pride

Referee
While maybe not now, at the time we already had Beutts signed up and he was a very good player and more first grade ready at the time. If you have Scott Prince or Cooper Cronk, you don't go chasing Thurston

Unless you have 2011 Scott Prince.

Yawn - what a nothing story.

Seriously, Lockyer is a champion and the club/coach he plays for has a big role in it.

jono

Juniors
Slow news day , this one's been done to death over the past 10 years ,resurrected every time we're due for some Parra-bashing........

mrpwnd

Bench
Why the shit is journalism in Australia so f**king terrible?
Actually, why is journalism for league even worse than that standard?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Typical another attack on Parramatta.

Why they even bother, this happened years ago?

Why dont they bring up the story that Wests couldve bought Brad Fittler, or Manly couldve signed Wally Lewis?

But oh no but because its Parramatta they'll write a two page article on it.:roll:. I mean is everyone sick of this.

Next thing they'll say we knocked back on approach for Jonathon Thurston.

This happened in 1994, there's too many "what ifs".

Even if Lockyer signed with Parramatta he wouldnt have had turned out the way he is today. He couldve played for 2 or 3 years at Parramatta and wouldve gone back to Queensland.

Back then there couldve been a dozen players who were touted the next best thing but very few went on to big things.