What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Lockyer

TinghaInMotion

Juniors
He must be carrying one or two niggling injuries. It's not possible for someone of his quality to just go so badly. Plus he has to carry that team as well.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think Seymour got in Lockyer's way so he couldn't really chase Benji. He was waiting on the inside to get Benji when he stepped back inside, but Seymour wasn't even quick enough to force that.

Kiwi

First Grade
Twizzle said:
Lockyer is a mere shadow of his former self.

Watching trying to run down Benji's intercept try yesterday, it looked like he was running backwards. He has no pace anymore.

Whether it is past injuries, old age or a combination of both, he is no where near the player he used to be.

We just lost an ashes series because the selectors played people with very good test records, but no current form.

If the Aussie selectors pick Lockyer at 5/8, with his current form I fear that our League players might be heading down the same road as our cricketers, in the tri-nations.

Its time for a changing of the guard and he should be the first to go imo.

Lockyer had no trouble putting players into gaps yesterday, unfortunately there was no support for them once they went through. As a comentator said, if Hodgson was a Bronco he would have had probably 3 or 4 tries in the first half just through supporting.

As for Lockyer being down on pace, he just got back from his first ever hamstring injury, that is to be expected.

ozboy

Juniors
B-dos said:
Boo-hoo for Lockyer. All teams have their main play maker who provides most of the attacking options. Johns does it week in and week out for whatever team he plays for. Lockyer is far from being the best player in the world as some people have tried to claim in the past. He is a great fullback and should have remained there. But these days he wouldnt even make the test side over Mini.

Johns has Buderus as his hooker and either Kurt Gidley or Brad Tighe next to him at 6, two very good young players.

Trent Barrett has Ben Hornby as is halfback and a very serviceable hoker in Michael Ennis.

Scott Prince has Benji Marshall and Robbie Farrah alongside him.

Darren Lockyer has Barry Berrigan and Brett Seymour FFS !

Not for one second am I defending Lockyer's poor season, though when it is 1 man in attack up against 13 in defence, it is pretty difficult to come out on top.

And for the record, Andrew Johns is the best player in the world, by a mile.

bluesbreaker

Bench
ozboy said:
Johns has Buderus as his hooker and either Kurt Gidley or Brad Tighe next to him at 6, two very good young players.

Trent Barrett has Ben Hornby as is halfback and a very serviceable hoker in Michael Ennis.

Scott Prince has Benji Marshall and Robbie Farrah alongside him.

Yup, and that's why Lockyer hasn't performed at Origin level for last two series in a row when he's had the second best hooker in the world and Thurston/Prince at half.

I can nearly cop the injury excuse, but don't give me this garbage about there being no quality around him. That's a joke. This year every Broncos fan and his dog were saying how good Seymour was, and how underrated Berrigan is.

And by the way, Johns performed with Lowrie at 5/8th, who can't pass or kick.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Now that Dykes is on the market what odds are there that Brisbane would be at all interested?

I know Bennett's getting old, but I don't think his senility is quite that advanced just yet

perverse

Referee
lockyer must be put back to fullback asap. he is a failure at 5/8th and should be back taking advantage of other players created chances and plays. that's where he shines bright. there are a few 5/8th's running around at the moment completely outperforming him in that position, forward pack or not.

I think there are a few problems with Lockyer.

First of all, he is having to run the Broncos all on his own. They dont have a good creative hooker, they dont have a good halfback that can compliment his game or take some pressure away....and the gameplan is VERY limited.

Lockyer has played ALOT of football over the last few years and has been under pretty much contant pressure that whole time. He is either leading the Kangaroo's.....trying to drag the Broncos along, or trying to lift Queensland.

I also this the constant football is starting to wear on Lockyer. When was the last time he had a good, long off season? Like a few of our top player, I think the grind of club, Origin and Test footy is starting to show.

Give him a good off season and a bit of help at the Broncos and I think he'd be tearing the game up once again. But right now, he looks like he could use a rest.

ozboy

Juniors
bluesbreaker said:
Yup, and that's why Lockyer hasn't performed at Origin level for last two series in a row when he's had the second best hooker in the world and Thurston/Prince at half.

I can nearly cop the injury excuse, but don't give me this garbage about there being no quality around him. That's a joke. This year every Broncos fan and his dog were saying how good Seymour was, and how underrated Berrigan is.

And by the way, Johns performed with Lowrie at 5/8th, who can't pass or kick.

NSW have 10 times the talent QLD has at the moment.

You can not blame Darren Lockyer for not being able to carry his state against the best RL team in the world.

jimmy_pop

Juniors
Oi you bunch of f**kwits who are mocking lockyer! FAce the Fact. Lockyer = #1 player in the world!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
its hardly a problem with the forward pack

Carroll, Civinociva, Webke, they have more rep forwards than most clubs

whether he is tired, injured or what ever, it all a good reason why he is down on form and not our best option imo

if Carroll and Webke (aka, his minders) arent gonna be in the aussie team, whose gonna tackle for him

Mr Saab

Referee
Twizzle said:
if Carroll and Webke (aka, his minders) arent gonna be in the aussie team, whose gonna tackle for him

lockyer will be fine.
TC is his tackling partner...Webcke aint.
Lockyer is not John Raper but he is not a complete dud.
Most of the tackles he drops off he slows them down.
Sometimes not, true, but not every player this yr has 100% tackling success rate

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well if he gets the nod for the Kangaroos, I hope you're right Charlie, because he looked very ordinary yesterday

ozboy

Juniors
C'mon people, let's get real.

It's the Tri Nations FFS, he won't have to tackle
icon12.gif

bennett should drop locky back to fullback,as the 5/8 experiment just isnt working out..
he seems to get very little creative help from seymour & Hunt is not living up to the big hype surrounding him .
In 35 yrs of watching league i have never seen a better fullback . his allround game was outstanding (good under the high ball, defensively very good,always seemed to pick the right moment to come up in the line as 2nd receiver,great kicking game ..long or chip kick & always seemed to create something)... there are some very very good fullbacks around at the moment but none have all the skills that lockyer did at the back..
at the moment any brilliance seems to be dulled & i can see the same result next yr for the broncs if bennett continues to play him at 5/8....... i think many people would agree that he should be playing in the position that he excelles at

Booyah

Bench
I've always said he should go back to FB. The only reason they moved him was so they wouldn't have to ignore the likes of Slater and Bowen for QLD and Mini for Australia.

He seems like a shadow of his former self at 5/8. It also seems like he's picked up more injuries since he's been in the front line, and that wouldn't be helping either.

The Observer

Staff member
After the preliminary finals and Barrett's encore performance as the Invisible Man, Lockyer has the Kangaroo number 6 jersey sewn up.

Mr Saab

Referee
The Observer said:
After the preliminary finals and Barrett's encore performance as the Invisible Man, Lockyer has the Kangaroo number 6 jersey sewn up.

he had it sewn up regardless of what barrett did.